Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new 2020 Model 3 only 1 month old and mid-aero shield ripped and started dragging on the ground while driving in my first rain storm a few days ago. Didn't hit anything...only drove through standard puddles (2-3 in deep). Duct taped it up and it's been holding for now. I can't believe I'm using duct tape to hold together a brand new $50k+ car due to rain. I'm worried what will happen with my first New England snowstorm. I have the new "-B" aero shield so unfortunately the build quality issues with the aero shields continue. BL-A design flaw that they need to own up to. Tesla needs to bring the infused plastic Model Y aero shield to the M3...NOW! Obviously they have a defect, even after their upgrade to -B, so why not use the same ones the Y's getting (assuming they don't have a design flaw too...anyone know?). I have my appt next Wed so we'll see if they try to tell me that it's not under warranty. Right now my estimate is showing $215.55 to replace it.

Brand new 2020 Model 3 only 1 month old and mid-aero shield ripped and started dragging on the ground while driving in my first rain storm a few days ago. Didn't hit anything...only drove through standard puddles (2-3 in deep). Duct taped it up and it's been holding for now. I can't believe I'm using duct tape to hold together a brand new $50k+ car due to rain. I'm worried what will happen with my first New England snowstorm. I have the new "-B" aero shield so unfortunately the build quality issues with the aero shields continue. BL-A design flaw that they need to own up to. Tesla needs to bring the infused plastic Model Y aero shield to the M3...NOW! Obviously they have a defect, even after their upgrade to -B, so why not use the same ones the Y's getting (assuming they don't have a design flaw too...anyone know?). I have my appt next Wed so we'll see if they try to tell me that it's not under warranty. Right now my estimate is showing $215.55 to replace it.
Were all the bolts holding the aero cover on still in place and fully tightened or are any missing or loose?

All of the bolts were fully tightened and it doesn't appear that any of them were missing...straight from the factory. The aero shield tear occurred immediately after I drove through the puddle at 25-30mph. The design of the aero shields has several openings (as seen in several pictures posted in this forum) where water is able to splash up and onto the top of it. If it's a good amount of water, like from a puddle, it causes the flimsy aero shields to tear through. In addition, there are no drain holes in the aero shield, which would help the water flow back down. If it doesn't tear immediately, the water looks like it can stay up there and sometimes freeze, causing it to tear at a later date (see pics on various forums of ice chunks above torn pieces). All cars have their issues that come up, but they need to be rectified; I just hope Tesla makes it right. Odd that the Model Y ended up with a hard infused plastic version, but the M3 got just a slightly strengthened version of the original, which is not proving to be any better. Anybody know if the 2021 M3 has the same carpet/felt type aero shield or have they finally moved on to something more sturdy? Anyways, still LOVE my M3, even with this headache. Shows what devoted fans we are...and maybe it allows Tesla to sometimes look the other way.

Tens of thousands of torn aero shields aren't made up; it's a fact. They are the most stocked item at SC's for a reason. Test tracks are usually well drained to accommodate high speeds, similar to highways, so it is not a valid argument. Seems like most folks are hitting puddles on city streets and side roads that are not as well drained. Slower speeds actually accentuate the water moving upwards into the undercarriage versus backwards and outwards at higher speeds. Sorry, my aerodynamics engineer science degree getting the best of me...

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
Tens of thousands of torn aero shields aren't made up; it's a fact. They are the most stocked item at SC's for a reason. Test tracks are usually well drained to accommodate high speeds, similar to highways, so it is not a valid argument. Seems like most folks are hitting puddles on city streets and side roads that are not as well drained. Slower speeds actually accentuate the water moving upwards into the undercarriage versus backwards and outwards at higher speeds. Sorry, my aerodynamics engineer science degree getting the best of me...
Where do you get "tens of thousands" from?
Regardless of the correct number, I'm not saying they are made up. I'd like to find an explanation, but driving through puddles at 30mph isn't it.
My test tracks arent well drained, hence all the standing water I've driven through on them. ;)

Mid-aero shield replaced for free under warranty today at the SC...didn't even have to ask for it since it's so common here. Only took 20 minutes. They first confirmed there was no "impact damage" that caused it to tear. They also inspected the front-aero shield to ensure it had no damage and that all bolts were installed & tightened. They understand that this is an ongoing issue so hopefully you all can get them replaced under warranty if you didn't hit anything hard (or via Service Bulletin for 2017-2018 models). They don't have word on when an upgraded infused plastic version like the Model Y will be released. I'll be avoiding as many puddles as I can from now on. Thanks for all your inputs on this thread...it was very helpful with this headache!

For those who care, and are new/new-ish around here, remember that you can swap the front aero shield for the Model Y injection moulded equivalent. Its a direct PnP replacement (sadly the same cant be said about the mid-aero).

Couple picking up the replacement front aero with some creative elbow grease to sandwich that in between the chassis and the fabric OE part and you get the best of both worlds.

The injection moulded part alone will increase NVH vs the fabric equivalent. It is only $12 worth of risk though so try it if you'd like.

For those who care, and are new/new-ish around here, remember that you can swap the front aero shield for the Model Y injection moulded equivalent. Its a direct PnP replacement (sadly the same cant be said about the mid-aero).

Couple picking up the replacement front aero with some creative elbow grease to sandwich that in between the chassis and the fabric OE part and you get the best of both worlds.

The injection moulded part alone will increase NVH vs the fabric equivalent. It is only $12 worth of risk though so try it if you'd like.

Are you able to post the Model Y front aero shield part #? I know you said it's in a post earlier in this thread, but I couldn't locate it.

I posted it long ago, just as the Model Ys were hitting the market, likely in another thread.

All you have to do is access the parts website and look it up.

Or better yet, call local SC parts department and ask them to fetch one.
They are usually in stock given how inexpensive and damage prone these things are.

All of the bolts were fully tightened and it doesn't appear that any of them were missing...straight from the factory. The aero shield tear occurred immediately after I drove through the puddle at 25-30mph. The design of the aero shields has several openings (as seen in several pictures posted in this forum) where water is able to splash up and onto the top of it. If it's a good amount of water, like from a puddle, it causes the flimsy aero shields to tear through. In addition, there are no drain holes in the aero shield, which would help the water flow back down. If it doesn't tear immediately, the water looks like it can stay up there and sometimes freeze, causing it to tear at a later date (see pics on various forums of ice chunks above torn pieces). All cars have their issues that come up, but they need to be rectified; I just hope Tesla makes it right. Odd that the Model Y ended up with a hard infused plastic version, but the M3 got just a slightly strengthened version of the original, which is not proving to be any better. Anybody know if the 2021 M3 has the same carpet/felt type aero shield or have they finally moved on to something more sturdy? Anyways, still LOVE my M3, even with this headache. Shows what devoted fans we are...and maybe it allows Tesla to sometimes look the other way.

Happened to me one month in to ownership in January 20. I also had to pay to get it fixed. Wasn't happy.

Apologies for the bump.

It seems the "Made in China" Model 3 has the Model Y-like hard plastic aero shield, along with a bunch of other improvements. :/

Any idea what part # this is or if it's possible to get it in the US? I'm shocked that Fremont is still installing the same old composite cover for March 2021 deliveries. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to drive with this thing in Seattle of all places.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to drive with this thing in Seattle of all places.
My brother has had a Model 3 in Seattle for over two years and has had no problems. 1) Make sure it is properly attached, every single bolt installed and tight front and rear. 2) Don’t drive through large quantities of standing water, and if you must, do it very cautiously (it’s not a good idea to do, anyway)!

It’s not THAT big a deal. Just don’t use your car as a boogie board or a boat.

I think they may have revised the original part anyway, so it’s possible yours is stronger (no idea).

Plus now, as of Q1 2021, there are also aftermarket solutions for this... aluminium formed skidplates that replace and/or cover the front and rear aero-shields.

They are available via a known and frequently mentioned Tesla accessory vendor/reseller or, if you're lucky and willing to wait longer, directly from the China manufacturer.

Pricey but perhaps worth a look for those who want to try an alternative or have had to replace torn aeros a few times (old and newer revisions alike).

More info here:

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Plus now, as of Q1 2021, there are also aftermarket solutions for this... aluminium formed skidplates that replace and/or cover the front and rear aero-shields.

They are available via a known and frequently mentioned Tesla accessory vendor/reseller or, if you're lucky and willing to wait longer, directly from the China manufacturer.

Pricey but perhaps worth a look for those who want to try an alternative or have had to replace torn aeros a few times (old and newer revisions alike).

More info here:

Oh wow, that's perfect. I actually just bought their mudguards. Thanks for the link.

Apologies for the bump.

It seems the "Made in China" Model 3 has the Model Y-like hard plastic aero shield, along with a bunch of other improvements. :/

Any idea what part # this is or if it's possible to get it in the US? I'm shocked that Fremont is still installing the same old composite cover for March 2021 deliveries. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to drive with this thing in Seattle of all places.
Just for another datapoint, I've owned a 2018 LR RWD in Seattle and have taken the thing through tons of forest roads, skiing, etc. with no issue. I even made a service appointment and cited a service bulletin about the aero shields being torn to have it replaced with the updated part.

Mobile service came and replaced my "A" part revision with the newer "B" version which was made of the same fibrous/felt material and I honestly could not see or feel any difference. What I was most surprised by was that the original was in perfect condition still. I thought the revised part would be the plastic molded version found in the Model Y as well.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Just for another datapoint, I've owned a 2018 LR RWD in Seattle and have taken the thing through tons of forest roads, skiing, etc. with no issue. I even made a service appointment and cited a service bulletin about the aero shields being torn to have it replaced with the updated part.

Mobile service came and replaced my "A" part revision with the newer "B" version which was made of the same fibrous/felt material and I honestly could not see or feel any difference. What I was most surprised by was that the original was in perfect condition still. I thought the revised part would be the plastic molded version found in the Model Y as well.

Yeah the only time I have been nervous about them has been one time in deepish snow in the San Diego mountains. Not actually deep, but enough to hear it scraping. But probably the front bumper cover was in more danger than the covers. That being said, in that case, perhaps the aluminum covers would be a good upgrade, for a little peace of mind. Expensive peace of mind though. Need to find the Chinese manufacturer, as mentioned!

I think these covers would provide some protection of the battery from certain impacts, but it's marginal. A large rock is still going to mess up the crossmember and the front of the battery, most likely. And the hose fittings going into the battery, which are nearly immediately behind the wheel well covers and quite vulnerable (which apparently require a battery replacement if cracked), would still be vulnerable to a large heavy object getting kicked up into your wheel well.

Last edited:
Mine are not torn but they are showing wear and starting to look weaker in spots. Sept 2018 3 that I drive in the rain at 70 MPH. Folks that paid for the flawed early 2018 design should ask for a refund.

I ordered the front and rear aluminum third party ones from an online vendor I have never dealt with before. 1/8" Aluminum should protect the front battery pieces more then what's there now. The rear aluminum should avoid bumper getting ripped off from water situation. When it comes in I'll see if it's worth $530
Too bad someone doesn't make a total front to rear titanium sheet. Integrate the front and rear and battery cover into one part would be nice too.
According to Tesla docs I should torque everything to 5 Nm.

Has anyone with a post November 2018 build shown pictures of what the part looks like on their car?
I just had mine get a hole in it from running over a piece of debris on the road.

Attachments

• 046C798A-89C3-4CAB-8F9D-44F31634699C.jpeg
    046C798A-89C3-4CAB-8F9D-44F31634699C.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 861