Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rising electricity costs, reflected in big increase in supercharger rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 37p/kwh you still get 6x10^23 electrons for a penny.
Back to physics:

Amps = Charge/Time
I=Q/t

1 Amp = 1 Coulomb /1 Second

Charge on 1 electron = 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulomb

1.6 x 10^-19 Coulomb / Second (Ampere) = Current by 1 electron

so 1 Amp = 1 / (1.6 x 10^-19) electrons or 6.25 x 10^18 electrons.

1KwHr at 230V requires 1000/230 amps

So electrons = 6.25 x 10^18 * 1000/230

= 2.72 x 10^19 electrons

for 1p, divide by 37 = 7.35 x 10^17

Can you reveal your workings please?

Octopus Go day rate has gone up from 16.26p/kWh that we got to a quoted price yesterday evening of 25.08p/kWh. A significant jump in less than a month. And as of this morning, Octopus are no longer accepting new flexible rate customers (we are on flexible rate for gas, which looks like a good choice, the 2y fixed rate I was quoted the other day was 6p!).

The move to block new customers on flexible rate looks sensible from their point of view, but the question has to be, are they going to make it?

I wonder if the way we tend to push car charging and other power hungry products such as washing machines in to the twilight hours when electricity prices are low will assist suppliers profits such as Octopus even on their low tarrif.
There must be profits when the wind is strong, especially during winter months.

I wonder if the way we tend to push car charging and other power hungry products such as washing machines in to the twilight hours when electricity prices are low will assist suppliers profits such as Octopus even on their low tarrif.
There must be profits when the wind is strong, especially during winter months.

When Agile is 31p/unit in the small hours and Go is 5p, I don't think they'll be making any money from a Go customer at those times.

Octopus will have forward bought or they would already be bust.

Why stop flexible rates? Ordinarily they’d be risk free for Octopus… the price cap means every customer they take on now they’d loose money because it costs more to buy the wholesale electricity than they’re allowed to charge the customer. Simple answer: take on no new flexible customers until wholesale prices drop.

Reactions: PITA and btc1k
When Agile is 31p/unit in the small hours and Go is 5p, I don't think they'll be making any money from a Go customer at those times.

I'm downloading at 18kWh between 00:30 and 04:30 on Octopus Go... 70kWh costs me £3.50 🥰

... they'll BAN me soon 😂😂

Yesterdays download map before the fuse blew and had to be replaced... then I could get back to business... 😁

Bad Boys, Bad Boys, What ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they come for you...

Screenshot_20210923-194356_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another nice link, once Nuclear is pushing out a bit more after October we should be burning less gas.

I look forward to it: when I charge during Octopus Go, where I live, grid power has gone from 50-100 gCO2/kWh to more like 200+ gCO2/kWh. Nasty.

Wishing solar was more viable for my home. The gas stuff being in the news means I have been reading about air-source heat pumps (I’m on an estate: how noisy for the neighbours? A fridge or exterior office aircon unit?) and heat storage ‘washing machines’.

Maybe this mess will push a few more of us the right way.

Fingers crossed for IFA1, those reactors and a bit more wind! Nice reactor status link Yev000 - thanks (Power station daily status).

Anyone know what is happening with IFA1 being partially restarted? Was it 2x 1GW with the fire only affecting one side primarily? News has nothing.

Last edited: