Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rising electricity costs, reflected in big increase in supercharger rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local PodPoint rapid is £26p, BP Pulse is 35p.
It’s obviously being subsidised by someone (Lidl or Tesco for the pod point?) as they are selling to you below cost price. It’s as simple as that really. Tesla supercharger are pretty much the going rate these days for uncapped commercial energy.

All my local BP stations are 38p for AC and 48p for DC 50kw rapid (no subscription). All the pod points around me are either subsidised by the premises or charge 30p for AC. There are no rapids that are on a commercial basis locally.

Reactions: Nick77
At Markham Vale on the M1 which is planned to be Gridserves next forcourt.
No matter what method of transport you use it seems to be expensive. Can we hit £2 for diesel in the coming weeks?
1E223F87-3CF0-4911-8D69-BEAA41AE6C3F.jpeg

Indeed a far cry from "the good old days", but how much more would the same journey have cost you in Dino Juice?

1000 miles road trip in our Lexus IS300H with current fuel prices would be £130. Don't forget though taxation on electricity is virtually nothing compared to petrol/diesel and that will change as EV usage increases.

In all likely in a few years time DC Rapid charging will be more expensive than petrol/diesel and slower. The result should mean less car journeys which ultimately is what the planet
need, encouraging less car usage overall.

In all likely in a few years time DC Rapid charging will be more expensive than petrol/diesel and slower. The result should mean less car journeys which ultimately is what the planet
Yes, in theory ... but the massive increase in fuel prices over the years didn't reduce the number of cars on the road. I think there's some evidence of moderated usage in recent times but not so much as you would notice when driving from A to B.

1000 miles road trip in our Lexus IS300H with current fuel prices would be £130. Don't forget though taxation on electricity is virtually nothing compared to petrol/diesel and that will change as EV usage increases.

Currently with the likes of Solar and Octopus go local driving can cost next to nothing but road trips can be almost as expensive as ICE i.e. 10-20x the price which is a bit of a quantum shift. We are used to the cost being roughly proportional to the distance now there is this step change once you exceed the range of your car. If this continues it will drive people toward more efficient EV's (good for the planet) but also towards bigger and bigger batteries (not so good for the planet).

Personally I don't do a lot of out of range journeys so the cost of supercharging is negligible in my household budget.

Yes, and you have to question how that’s being funded and who is subsiding it. Selling below cost isn’t sustainable.

Is that a load of VC going into the app to grab a user base followed by the prices being jacked up?

It doesn’t make much sense for the charge point operator to sell below cost as you’ll probably have used it anyway.

The spot price for electricity varies wildly through the day, depending on the amount produced and demand, production depends on the weather. All of which together mean that Octopus can offer at 7.5p/kwh through the night and at times, during the day.
I wonder how long it will be before roadside chargers will reflect this variation.

Filled up the ICE this week, for the first time ever the self service pump cut out at £99.00 before the tank was full. Petrol may be expensive, but at least the price per litre is a relatively known quantity.