Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Riverton and Lander Wyoming Breadboards Getting 80amp Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The drive from Yellowstone to Red Lodge, Montana is so so so beautiful.

They have some great charging options in Red Lodge currently, but it is kind of a charging dead end. If you could grab some charge to get to the West Yellowstone SC it would complete the connection from 94.

I can't tell you how great this drive is, can't wait to do it in my S someday.

I would think Cooke City businesses would like the chance to grab people doing a loop within Yellowstone as well.

Thanks for the work on this....much appreciated.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just an update, the Credit Card reader is now working! We now have 24/7 access to an 80amp charger in Lander at the Breadboard, the Riverton one will be up by the end of next week with Cody and Dubois going online next month.
IMG_0840.JPG

Looks like one of the WattZilla EVSEs, which has an optional credit card reader. These systems are based on the OpenEVSE design. For my curiosity, if you have access inside those boxes, could you post a picture of the inside of the EVSE and how that credit card reader plugs into the main WattZilla control board.

Once I finish up an unrelated major project, hopefully by this summer, I plan on developing an RFID reader add-on for the OpenEVSE project. Similar to the large EVSE installation at CalTech, I think this will need to have a Raspberry Pi installed to handle the RFID reader functions. Would be nice to have access controls and logging on the opensource EVSE option.

Looks like one of the WattZilla EVSEs, which has an optional credit card reader. These systems are based on the OpenEVSE design. For my curiosity, if you have access inside those boxes, could you post a picture of the inside of the EVSE and how that credit card reader plugs into the main WattZilla control board.

Once I finish up an unrelated major project, hopefully by this summer, I plan on developing an RFID reader add-on for the OpenEVSE project. Similar to the large EVSE installation at CalTech, I think this will need to have a Raspberry Pi installed to handle the RFID reader functions. Would be nice to have access controls and logging on the opensource EVSE option.

I couldn't find one company that had a 80amp solution with a simple credit card reader, so Frank at WattZilla helped me out and we had these custom made. I also made my own 40amp one for testing from the OpenEVSE project too. I can take some pictures next time I visit the charger.

Wow, pox. You are making a huge difference in an EV wasteland. Nice work! 80amp level 2s are actually pretty sweet imo. Gotta be the best bang for your buck and they're compatible with all types of EVs which is nice.

I do think Tesla will fill in I-80 in Rock Springs, Rawlins, and Evanston fairly quickly so if I were you I would focus on the interior areas. I'm guessing they complete I-80 and I-25 through Wyoming before the summer is over. They marched through Iowa and Nebraska fairly methodically over the last few months so I expect them to fill in the gap in Wyoming next.

I do think Tesla will fill in I-80 in Rock Springs, Rawlins, and Evanston fairly quickly so if I were you I would focus on the interior areas. I'm guessing they complete I-80 and I-25 through Wyoming before the summer is over. They marched through Iowa and Nebraska fairly methodically over the last few months so I expect them to fill in the gap in Wyoming next.[/QUOT

Thanks, I'm trying really hard. Finding locations has been by far the hardest part. I sure could use some help in finding interesting locations to host charging stations. My funding is limited so I'll be making use of grant funding in certain locations. As EV usage increases and we get some revenue. I will then fill in places that don't have any grants funding. I'd also consider taking on sponsors if anyone or business are interested in helping out in a particular town.