Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian - Electric Truck - Reveal set for Nov 30 at LA Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a difference between want and need. People have lived for years without the use of personal 3 ton monsters. Most people in the world still don't have that option. Not trying to nitpick but your argument would sound better and more convincing if you just say that's what you want.
Not everyone 'needs' a P85+ either when a 85, or a 60 for that matter, does the same thing. People have lived for years with out going 0-60 in under X seconds....
Dzm

Reactions: dhrivnak and GreenT
I already put my reservation in............fully refundable at any time ......snip....
might be better off to lay out cash to be one of the 1st to be on Musk's Martian colony. The probability that this wanabe car maker will have success (w/in 1½ decades) is almost as likely. Let's see, how many successful auto companies has there been in the last 7or 8 decades? .... One?

With 4 motors and likely high weight I wonder if it will get better than 20 eMPG?

I think Elon has really shared how hard starting a new car company is from scratch. Not just technical hurdles but even political and media perception ones too. It’s been a decade and you still can see how much work it is to just sustain what he has built.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krugerrand
I think Elon has really shared how hard starting a new car company is from scratch. Not just technical hurdles but even political and media perception ones too. It’s been a decade and you still can see how much work it is to just sustain what he has built.

This is the point being missed. Ok, Rivian has a working prototype and an empty building to build it in and 600 employees. Tesla had that in Jan 2012 plus had already sold 2500 Roadsters. The almost 7 YEARS from then to now have been epically hard for Tesla. Nevermind the 10 before that with a nice fat recession in there.

Tesla going first will have made it easier for followers like Rivian because ‘this is how we (Tesla) did it and we showed you what to do and what not to do’. ‘We also built the Supercharger Network that you don’t have to if you contribute and partner according to our rules’.

Rivian also doesn’t have to expand into energy sustainability either like PowerPacks and Walls or solar tiles etc...

Rivian is going to need batteries. Haven’t heard how they’ll conquer that hurdle yet.

But even with this easier path for Rivian, anyone who thinks they’ll just start slapping these suckers together overnight and voila successful vehicle manufacturer - hahaha!

I think Rivian’s made a mistake with the 4 motors. I think they’ve made a mistake throwing the entire kitchen sick into the vehicles. I think they’ve made some interior and exterior aesthetic mistakes. I don’t think the pickup can or will sell for $69k out of the gate. None of that, though, will prevent Rivian from selling their vehicles simply because EV demand continues to grow and will only accelerate.

Good luck to Rivian, they’re going to need some to survive and be successful. Looks like we’re going to lose Faraday and Lucid has been MIA for several months now.

It’s still next to impossible to start a car/truck manufacturing company. Almost all don’t make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr and traxila
This is the point being missed. Ok, Rivian has a working prototype and an empty building to build it in and 600 employees. Tesla had that in Jan 2012 plus had already sold 2500 Roadsters. The almost 7 YEARS from then to now have been epically hard for Tesla. Nevermind the 10 before that with a nice fat recession in there.

Tesla going first will have made it easier for followers like Rivian because ‘this is how we (Tesla) did it and we showed you what to do and what not to do’. ‘We also built the Supercharger Network that you don’t have to if you contribute and partner according to our rules’.

Rivian also doesn’t have to expand into energy sustainability either like PowerPacks and Walls or solar tiles etc...

Rivian is going to need batteries. Haven’t heard how they’ll conquer that hurtle yet.

But even with this easier path for Rivian, anyone who thinks they’ll just start slapping these suckers together overnight and voila successful vehicle manufacturer - hahaha!

I think Rivian’s made a mistake with the 4 motors. I think they’ve made a mistake throwing the entire kitchen sick into the vehicles. I think they’ve made some interior and exterior aesthetic mistakes. I don’t think the pickup can or will sell for $69k out of the gate. None of that, though, will prevent Rivian from selling their vehicles simply because EV demand continues to grow and will only accelerate.

Good luck to Rivian, they’re going to need some to survive and be successful. Looks like we’re going to lose Faraday and Lucid has been MIA for several months now.

It’s still next to impossible to start a car/truck manufacturing company. Almost all don’t make it.

All good points. I agree. Especially the battery part. 180kwh out of the gate cheaper than the base model X? Hmmmm...

I am rooting for them. Go Rivian!

It appears to me that we are still waiting for the price of the Rivian with large battery option.
At $69,000 before incentives for the base model, I think it’s a great value, but I think I would want the 135 kWh version and they haven’t confirmed the price on that model yet.
Therefore, I still need more details in terms of pricing, but I think it could be reasonable.
Closer look at Rivian’s R1T all-electric pickup truck and why I ordered it

might be better off to lay out cash to be one of the 1st to be on Musk's Martian colony. The probability that this wanabe car maker will have success (w/in 1½ decades) is almost as likely. Let's see, how many successful auto companies has there been in the last 7or 8 decades? .... One?
You mean the car company that looses money on almost every sale? Make me laugh.

Losing money on each sale - is that what GAAP “profitability” means? Must have been some sort of Q3 fluke I guess?
Time will tell. This qtr could be best ever. They're pushing everything they can. Problem is demand my dry up as the tax credit goes away eventually and all those leases they took back will be sold at a loss. Not to mention they couldn't turna profit on CPO so now they're used and brining in Manheim and going to sell wjolesale.....time will tell. But I still want an S for the wife, an X for me until the RT1 comes along.

Time will tell. This qtr could be best ever. They're pushing everything they can. Problem is demand my dry up as the tax credit goes away eventually and all those leases they took back will be sold at a loss. Not to mention they couldn't turna profit on CPO so now they're used and brining in Manheim and going to sell wjolesale.....time will tell. But I still want an S for the wife, an X for me until the RT1 comes along.
Oh noes...! Is Tesla going bankwupt again?
(Pro tip: get a spell checker.)

Michael McHale (Rivian Director of Corporate Communications) was interviewed

2018 LA Auto Show: RIVIAN booth, Michael McHale [ '18 LA Auto Show, 11/29 Thu ]

Turns out he was Communications person for Subaru at 2009 LA Auto Show

2009 LA Auto Show: Michael McHale, Subaru booth [ '09 LA Auto Show, 12/3 ]

Whoah..the Subaru concept car has gull wings door, similar to the Model X Falcon Wings door..

Wait a minute, Franz von Holzhausen was in attendance at 2009 LA Auto Show..he was part of the "Design LA" panel:

2009 LA Auto Show: Franz von Holzhausen [ '09 LA Auto Show ]

Putting 2 and 2 together..I get the feeling Franz used the Subaru concept car as inspiration for Model X??

Model X was never a SUV (roofs need a rack to carry stuff), it is a real-life concept car..!?

Martin Eberhard (Tesla co-founder) was also in attendance, met him at the Chevy booth (Volt debut):

2009 LA Auto Show: M. Eberhard, Chevy booth (Volt debut) [ '09 LA Auto Show, 12/2 ]

Bob Lutz (CEO GM at the time) came by, Martin went over to talk to him..they became friends while Martin was Tesla CEO

Bob had to fly back to Detroit, because of some crisis.

Flashback to today..Mary Barra (CEO GM) is responding to a crisis (sedan sales in decline, not just GM):

Why GM CEO Mary Barra killed Chevrolet cars, approved likely plant closures

This is a leader who lived through the dark days of GM. Her bosses made mistake after mistake after mistake in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s as GM toppled toward Chapter 11 bankruptcy and a federal bailout in 2009.

She saw what happens when a major, bloated corporation fails to take decisive action, admit its mistakes and pivot toward the future.

No longer. Barra has distanced GM from its old ways in a bid to propel the company into the future of self-driving cars, electric vehicles and ride-sharing networks.

Tesla is likely going to fail (Model 3 is a looming DISASTER), following GM's footsteps. Series of failures -- ALL of Tesla cars have drivetrain problems (Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model 3)

Rivian founder RC Scaringe is a MIT PhD Mechanical Eng
Mark Vinnels (Exec Director of Engineering & Programs), formerly with McLaren Cars
Charles Sanderson (VP Development & Integraton), formerly with McLaren

"fatigue cycling"
-- Mechanical Eng challenge

They likely got the Mechanical Engineering right -- solving the "stress/shock load of electric-motor instantaneous torque-curve on drivetrain" problem. Tesla NEVER did..their upper-management background is devoid of Mechanical Eng!

Rivian's factory is in Blooomington/Normal, twin city just west of U of Illinois..Martin Eberhard's alma mater!

2009 to 2018, 9 years..strange coincidences!!

Tesla is likely going to fail (Model 3 is a looming DISASTER), following GM's footsteps. Series of failures -- ALL of Tesla cars have drivetrain problems (Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model 3)
The Tesla Model 3 is the best car I have ever owned. I never had any drivetrain problems with my Model S either.

The Rivian truck shows a lot of potential. They need to figure out a charge network or they will be a niche product.

[QUOTE="The Rivian truck shows a lot of potential. They need to figure out a charge network or they will be a niche product.[/QUOTE]

Please explain your quote. Can't you just use Charge point and destination, also with Porsche, Audi, VW, Hyundai, etc getting into EVs don't you think the Tesla supercharger, which will only work for Teslas, may become the odd man out?
Thanks,
Dzm

Tesla can us both charging systems. Yes, eventually the advantage will diminish but for many years to come it is a clear advantage. That and how efficient Tesla’s are over others.

Speaking of efficiency, Rivan Pickup and SUV are EV equivalent of a gas guzzler.

Appears Tesla S is an EV Gas Guzzler itself....

Attachments

• eff.jpg
    eff.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 43
There is a difference between want and need. People have lived for years without the use of personal 3 ton monsters. Most people in the world still don't have that option. Not trying to nitpick but your argument would sound better and more convincing if you just say that's what you want.
Yours would sound better if you didn't presume to know other people's requirements.