Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Gets Range Rating of 316 Miles for R1T Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has posted official range estimates for the Rivian’s all-electric pickup and sport-utility vehicle. 

According to a posting on the agency’s website, the R1T pickup truck has an official EPA range of 314 miles, while its R1T SUV received a rating of 316 miles. Rivian has promised at least 300 miles of range.

The “Launch edition” of the R1T pickup and R1S SUV will have a 135-kWh battery pack. Future trim packages will also include the “large pack” battery. Rivian plans a future “Max pack” that will push range over 400 miles.

While pickups are among the most popular vehicles in the U.S., there has yet to be a competitive electric pickup option. With deliveries for Rivian beginning this month, the startup automaker will have the first compelling option on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
135 kWh battery for ~ 315 miles range doesn't sound very efficient.
It's also 7,000 sounds and only has a fairly small load capacity of ~1600 pounds. If you have the roof top tent they demo everywhere, a spare tire, and 4 people, you are down to ~500 pounds actual useful load. Not very impressive for a pick up.

The lesson is, if you don’t have one of any of these on order, your input is that of a pedestrian. All three trucks will be great trucks. I guarantee it. The CT will have the most issues.
The F150 Lightning will be a great truck. I have no doubts of that. The Cybertruck, Jury is out, Tesla has so far made fantastic vehicles (albeit with some growing pains) but the Cybertruck is so radically different that who knows how it will fair in the real world. Rivian? I wish them all the best, I really do. But my gut says I'll be seeing documentaries about them in 10-30 years like there are for AMC and the Dale today.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark and Cuttin
The idea is simple and on paper sounds like a great idea... however it is not w/o major compromises. A trailer with enough density is gonna weigh a grip adding to an already finite tow capacity, aero drag, and on top of all that there charging compromises. You'll now have two things to charge when you finally get to wherever. You can go further but when you have to refill you are stuck there twice as long. The trailer below for ex. more than half of the trailers capacity is eaten up by the weight of the batteries. And we haven't even considered the insane cost, like easily more than half the cost of the towing vehicle. Also, another issue is that these things cannot charge while moving.

All fair and valid points, however, new lighter batteries with faster charging are on the way and that may change the equations a bit. But I'll admit it's possible that it will never be a practical idea.

The F150 Lightning will be a great truck. I have no doubts of that. The Cybertruck, Jury is out, Tesla has so far made fantastic vehicles (albeit with some growing pains) but the Cybertruck is so radically different that who knows how it will fair in the real world. Rivian? I wish them all the best, I really do. But my gut says I'll be seeing documentaries about them in 10-30 years like there are for AMC and the Dale today.

They have raised tons of cash, they have a great product (at least based on initial reviews) and at any rate, they could be a great takeover target for any incumbent who wants a modern EV platform. So, I reason that they will be around in some way, shape or form.

All fair and valid points, however, new lighter batteries with faster charging are on the way and that may change the equations a bit. But I'll admit it's possible that it will never be a practical idea.
It could viable but not without design considerations from OEMs. And I mean for the secondary battery integration otherwise you'd have to pull over and stop to charge. That kind of makes it a moot point, might as well stop at a charger anyways.

I think Amazon and Bezos will keep pouring money into Rivian until it succeeds. Bezos hates Musk so much I think he'd burn a couple hundred billion just to spite him.

But it doesn't matter bc they can't charge as fast. No one can. Not even close. Also I'm sure it will cost a fortune, Elon is far from an idiot.
I'm pretty sure Tesla is opening up the SC network so they can tap into the $7.5b from the infrastructure bill set aside from building out charging stations.

I doubt they will be able to charge more for non-Teslas and take advantage of that funding.

They did hint at the last earnings call they were going to implement time limits and fees for people who camp chargers. My thought is after half an hour (when most Teslas will be at 80%+ charge), they will cut off the charger and start charging idle fees similar to how they manage in demand stations now. So if someone rolls up in their Mustang and is hoping to camp out for 50 minutes to top off they are going to be disappointed.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm pretty sure Tesla is opening up the SC network so they can tap into the $7.5b from the infrastructure bill set aside from building out charging stations.

I doubt they will be able to charge more for non-Teslas and take advantage of that funding.

They did hint at the last earnings call they were going to implement time limits and fees for people who camp chargers. My thought is after half an hour (when most Teslas will be at 80%+ charge), they will cut off the charger and start charging idle fees similar to how they manage in demand stations now. So if someone rolls up in their Mustang and is hoping to camp out for 50 minutes to top off they are going to be disappointed.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla sticks it to non Tesla owners by charging an extra 5-10c per KWh.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla sticks it to non Tesla owners by charging an extra 5-10c per KWh.
I'm sure Tesla would love to fund the growth of their network on the backs of the competition. But if they need to charge the same amount to all EVs to tap into that $7.5b in infrastructure money, I'm sure they will do what they need to.

Also curious, are you also Zorg on MTBR?

Sometimes, I need to charge closer to 100%, sometimes I may start charging cold and the process takes longer. Time limit on charging = rationing gasoline. If the goal is to prioritize charging stations for Tesla vehicles then Tesla can charge them by minute, say, $1/min.

I'm sure Tesla would love to fund the growth of their network on the backs of the competition. But if they need to charge the same amount to all EVs to tap into that $7.5b in infrastructure money, I'm sure they will do what they need to.
No problem. "All vehicles pay the same $1/min charging rate. When you buy Tesla, the vehicle comes with unlimited charging plan providing discounted per kWh rates."