Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Gets Range Rating of 316 Miles for R1T Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has posted official range estimates for the Rivian’s all-electric pickup and sport-utility vehicle. 

According to a posting on the agency’s website, the R1T pickup truck has an official EPA range of 314 miles, while its R1T SUV received a rating of 316 miles. Rivian has promised at least 300 miles of range.

The “Launch edition” of the R1T pickup and R1S SUV will have a 135-kWh battery pack. Future trim packages will also include the “large pack” battery. Rivian plans a future “Max pack” that will push range over 400 miles.

While pickups are among the most popular vehicles in the U.S., there has yet to be a competitive electric pickup option. With deliveries for Rivian beginning this month, the startup automaker will have the first compelling option on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting to see all the put downs on range with no evidence yet of real world range. I love my Tesla P90 d , but would love it even more if the real world range was anywhere close to rated range. So I think it’s a wait and see at this point.
With that said, hopefully Tesla will focus less on 0 to 60 times, and give us a real world , air conditioning on, wind in our face, highway driving 400 mile range.

1631515713210.png

Last edited:
It is interesting to see all the put downs on range with no evidence yet of real world range. I love my Tesla P90 d , but would love it even more if the real world range was anywhere close to rated range. So I think it’s a wait and see at this point.
With that said, hopefully Tesla will focus less on 0 to 60 times, and give us a real world , air conditioning on, wind in our face, highway driving 400 mile range.

View attachment 708730
If Elon has a bronze statue made of himself it’ll say “over-promise, under-deliver” and “two weeks” and “1,000,000 robotaxis 2019” and “funding secured”.

Not to mention charging times. Most CCS DCFC are 100kwh or less. If you find a 50kwh charger (which is common) you have to double your time at a charger for the same range as something like a Bolt that has half the size of the Rivian battery. And charging at home with a standard 35kwh level 2 charger? Ugh! You will get something like 15 miles of range per hour. That's like 20 hours for a full charge on a 50 amp circuit.
Really? In thought most CCS chargers in the US were 150kw to 300kw.

I feel bad for them.
That is HORRIBLE for a 135kw pack!

What a shame. I figured rivian was a serious contendor but obviously not.

Another one bites the dust.

The price will need to be VERY high in order to make money with so much battery in it. And given they are targeting people who will hurt aerodynamics, kayaks, bikes, weight, towing, it's gonna be a great looking but useless truck.

A model x would get 480miles on 135pack, just for a quick comparison.
But what could you actually do with the model X? The truck form factor adds quite a bit more utility vs the X which is essentially a minivan/family hauler… 2 diff types a vehicles with no overlap. The ven diagram of people looking at both an X and an R1T is probably non existent- or similar in that of those cross shopping an Model S vs Ford F-250 super duty. No overlap thus dumb comparison.

plus as far are as range I am pretty sure the Model X will state a EPA of 420mi but we know Tesla is “optimistic “ with range thus their #’s are useless in all but the most unrealistic scenarios .

But what could you actually do with the model X? The truck form factor adds quite a bit more utility vs the X which is essentially a minivan/family hauler… 2 diff types a vehicles with no overlap. The ven diagram of people looking at both an X and an R1T is probably non existent- or similar in that of those cross shopping an Model S vs Ford F-250 super duty. No overlap thus dumb comparison.

plus as far are as range I am pretty sure the Model X will state a EPA of 420mi but we know Tesla is “optimistic “ with range thus their #’s are useless in all but the most unrealistic scenarios .
Tesla as compared to the other manufacturers tends to be more conservative in their range estimates, and real world experience tends to support that statement.
Ford at least offers the number with a 1000lb payload.
While I'm not a Tesla fanboy, all these discussions are just loose talk until these 'trucks' are in the wild.
And no one save a few very early adopters will get them for a couple years yet due to delivery/manufacturing constraints.
By which time, they will have changed again....

Reactions: Cuttin
You’ll be able to use any charger, including the supercharger network. And autopilot on either car has no relative value. Nor will it. Don’t let the gimmick be a deciding factor.
After having used autopilot for the last 3 years, we'll have to simply disagree on that one. I love autopilot for long distance driving. I find it very useful and very capable, and getting better all the time. I am looking forward to reading reviews about Rivian's system. As for Tesla sharing SC, no one knows the timeline.

As for Tesla sharing SC, no one knows the timeline.
No one knows the timeline AND we really don't know how compatible a Tesla SC will be with another vehicle. It might be they get opened up but non-Tesla's are only able to draw 50 kWh or otherwise be limited, definitely wouldn't be thinking about Tesla superchargers when discussing anything other than Teslas for now.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
Yeah, I'm sure Elon is going to make sure Jeff Bezos' Rivian investment is secure by opening up his supercharger network ASAP. :rolleyes:

...Whenver he has time fending off all of Bezos' constant lawsuits.

You’ll be able to use any charger, including the supercharger network. And autopilot on either car has no relative value. Nor will it. Don’t let the gimmick be a deciding factor.

Reactions: WhiteWi

I only used MX as a comparison bc it's the closest current tesla vehicle that has SOME overlap. Pretty significant overlap. It has good towing capacity and a very large interior for hauling. And while you can't put a kayak on top, you can easily tow one or a few. It's decent off road, I've taken mine a few times, similar but obviously less capable, to what a stock rivian will be able to do.

But I do agree the cyber truck is a better comparison, which honestly at this point will probably be out in VERY significant numbers by the time rivian gets anything CLOSE to significant numbers.

I disagree on the the range estimates. It's all standardized. That's the ONLY way to do it. I always drive with heat blasting and high speeds and floor it all the time, so my range sucks.
..... But I'm SURE it would suck much more in that inefficient box from rivian, a company that has no clue about making vehicles besides making a cute product that tempts. Popping bigger batteries is very counter productive for weight range handling and top of all price and profit. No way it will sustain.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
Lol. DEFINITELY not a gimmick. I've been using it very heavily on suburban roads and highways for the last 4 years. It's incredible. Perfect? No. But ridiculously good and relaxing.

Tesla has NOT said who will be able to use the SC network, they just hinted that some MIGHT be able to. But it doesn't matter bc they can't charge as fast. No one can. Not even close. Also I'm sure it will cost a fortune, Elon is far from an idiot. Also it will just advertise tesla for them. Whoever will be using the SC network will just keep seeing tesla pull right in flawlessly, no apps nothing, and pull out quickly bc they charge so fast. Any other ev will just sit there drooling and slapping themselves bc they didn't get a tesla. Genius move by Elon.

Tesla as compared to the other manufacturers tends to be more conservative in their range estimates, and real world experience tends to support that statement.
Ford at least offers the number with a 1000lb payload.
While I'm not a Tesla fanboy, all these discussions are just loose talk until these 'trucks' are in the wild.
And no one save a few very early adopters will get them for a couple years yet due to delivery/manufacturing constraints.
By which time, they will have changed again....
Actually it is the complete reverse. Tesla is optimistic compared to to other manufacturers (who are also optimistic, just less so).

Reactions: jaqueh
Tesla has NOT said who will be able to use the SC network, they just hinted that some MIGHT be able to. But it doesn't matter bc they can't charge as fast. No one can. Not even close. Also I'm sure it will cost a fortune, Elon is far from an idiot.

The presumption on Elon stating SC will open up is due to grants provided in the new infrastructure bill to charging stations (but only charging stations that are publicly accessible). So I don't think there are any deals being made with automakers that will making Elon a fortune or limiting access to only certain manufacturers. Also the 800v architectures that are coming along are proving to have pretty enviable charging curves. Those rates won't be able to be utilized on super chargers, but just as a comment in reply to no one charging as fast, as those do appear to be equitable or even faster.

Last edited: