Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian price increased massively - $15,500. Cancelled, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s disappointing, but not insane. Is there any comparable for less money? No…

People are going to complain, but at the end of the day it had to be done.

Have you priced anything lately material wise?
A 20% increase in price is an insane increase. Have I priced anything lately? Yes, we all have. However, I don't know of any vehicle that I've ordered, waited months for, only to have the price increased by 20%. That's absurd.

Like I said, I cancelled. My guess is they are screwed. They make a nice vehicle, but its not that nice. Their dual motor only has a range of what they classify as '260+ miles'. That's now $72,500.

Before it was quad motor, 316 miles, $70,000. That was a bargain. Absolutely. But $84,500? No way in hell. I'm guessing they don't mind if they lose 60-70% of their preorders, because that's what's gonna happen.

Don't get me wrong, if that's what they gotta do, so be it, but that's one hell of a miscalculation. The fact they increased it all at once like that after taking years of preorders is what really gets me - a gradual price increase and honoring existing orders.....

A 20% increase in price is an insane increase. Have I priced anything lately? Yes, we all have. However, I don't know of any vehicle that I've ordered, waited months for, only to have the price increased by 20%. That's absurd.

Like I said, I cancelled. My guess is they are screwed. They make a nice vehicle, but its not that nice. Their dual motor only has a range of what they classify as '260+ miles'. That's now $72,500.

Before it was quad motor, 316 miles, $70,000. That was a bargain. Absolutely. But $84,500? No way in hell. I'm guessing they don't mind if they lose 60-70% of their preorders, because that's what's gonna happen.

Don't get me wrong, if that's what they gotta do, so be it, but that's one hell of a miscalculation. The fact they increased it all at once like that after taking years of preorders is what really gets me.
As I mentioned earlier. Show me a comparable for less…. I’ll wait

Reactions: tm1v2
Yeah, I’ll be keeping my order. I’m not actually surprised. I always thought Rivian’s pricing was way too low. with any luck, this means I get my R1S sooner after the dust settles.
This is where I’m at. It sucks, but everyone kicking and screaming about the price increase is being overly dramatic.

It had to happen, and it certainly isn’t a surprise given the pricing was listed years ago and was made abundantly clear that it was subject to change.

As I mentioned earlier. Show me a comparable for less…. I’ll wait
Also, some people actually plan ahead. I purchased a MYP, got a Freemont car because I thought I'd only be keeping it for 18-24mo. I had expected to get a R1S when it was available.

Now I have a Freemont car I'll likely be keeping for much, much longer. Probably going to now order a second MYP in a year - I would have just preferred putting off ordering had I know the R1S was not an option.

This is where I’m at. It sucks, but everyone kicking and screaming about the price increase is being overly dramatic.

It had to happen, and it certainly isn’t a surprise given the pricing was listed years ago and was made abundantly clear that it was subject to change.
They should have increased it gradually. You don't screw over people who have actually budgeted and been planning to get a vehicle. I understand adjusting for the market and resources, but *sugar* did not increase over night. They could have worked this in a long, long time ago.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
They should have increased it gradually. You don't screw over people who have actually budgeted and been planning to get a vehicle. I understand adjusting for the market and resources, but *sugar* did not increase over night. They could have worked this in a long, long time ago.

Supposedly there was a Rivian exec who resigned/got fired around the IPO time. She alleged that Rivian knew they had to raise prices before the IPO but wanted to wait until after the IPO. Paging the SEC. But, oh right, only Tesla gets the proctologist exams.

Thoughts on Rivian's price increase. Got an email today that said 'prices have been updated on your preorder', or something like that.

My R1S preorder went from $71,500 to $87,000. How insane is that????

Cancelled. I have no doubt this is going wipe out over half of their preorders... possibly 2/3 or more.
If you think that’s bad, just wait to see what happens to these Cybertruck pre orders.

Pretty sure late 2020 model X orders saw a 10k increase when the refresh was announced. Not the norm I agree, but times are crazy
That wasn't exactly the same situation, Tesla:
  • stopped making the model/trim/configuration that people had ordered and released a new model/trim at a higher price.
    • A lot of people were expecting this, and placed orders hoping to be able to keep the old price. (Some just to sell and make the difference.)
  • offered a $2k discount to people that converted their order to the new model/trim instead of cancelling.
  • offered to keep the FSD option price the same as the original order. (another $2k discount)
Rivian is still making the exact same configuration that people ordered...

• stopped making the model/trim/configuration that people had ordered and released a new model/trim at a higher price.
    • A lot of people were expecting this, and placed orders hoping to be able to keep the old price. (Some just to sell and make the difference.)
  • offered a $2k discount to people that converted their order to the new model/trim instead of cancelling.
  • offered to keep the FSD option price the same as the original order. (another $2k discount)
Wanna make a friendly wager on whether Tesla sells the Cybertruck at prior advertised prices? Donation to favorite charity?

My point was to argue a previous comment that Tesla at leasts honors their pricing once an order is placed.

Regardless of how it transpired, people had to pay more for the car they ordered.

My stance here on the Rivian situation from the gate has been that Rivian made it abundantly clear that pricing and configurations were subject to change, and a deposit did nothing to secure the current pricing.

Reactions: Doc Brown