Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me off the ledge.... No door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a good point for hope. The model X doors have been nothing but problems since day one, doors are the main reason it sits pretty much at the bottom of reliability surveys.
Not convinced that isn't just "internet knowledge" or poorly run "squeaky wheel" surveys than real statistical data. We've had our Model Xs since 2017 and 2018 and had no problems at all with any of our doors (including the FWDs).

As pointed out before, there are other car brands that use flush/non-traditional door openings (Mach-E being particularly far from a regular door handle), and most cars auto-lock the door anyway when in drive. Breaking into a vehicle with a disabled driver isn't new and no glass will be immune to a blow concentrated at a single point.

Not convinced that isn't just "internet knowledge" or poorly run "squeaky wheel" surveys than real statistical data. We've had our Model Xs since 2017 and 2018 and had no problems at all with any of our doors (including the FWDs).

As pointed out before, there are other car brands that use flush/non-traditional door openings (Mach-E being particularly far from a regular door handle), and most cars auto-lock the door anyway when in drive. Breaking into a vehicle with a disabled driver isn't new and no glass will be immune to a blow concentrated at a single point.
And I have 2 different friends that got model X’s early on 2015/2016. They have had door issues for years. The one with the 2015 Tesla give them a replacement after ~1 year due to all the issues with the doors. Both of them now have model Y’s.

I really really really hope California / South Texas centric design engineers think outside of their climate box and give us at least some way to apply manual force to pop an ice covered door open. Living in a place where it often hits melting temp during afternoon, then back down below -10C most nights during the winter, this is a true concern and not internet hype. Even a good percussive ice clearing around the edges of doors is nowhere near as good as being able to pull on a real physical handle. Relying on an internal door opening mechanism to get the job done would be pure fallacy.

Reactions: coleAK
I haven't really followed the cybertruck news but did tesla say full opening and closing doors Ala the x? Is it possible it'll be just door poppers like one roadster demo has shown?

I apologize for cursed audio, mobile isn't letting me timestamp, it's at the 35 second mark:

bullet proof windows and doors with thick stainless steel and no handles sound like a dream for first responders to extract you from a vehicle after a crash.... bystanders certainly cant smack the windows in and pull you out if the doors are jammed...