Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian seemingly plans to reveal R2 on Mar 7 at flagship Laguna Beach store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_8549.jpg

Something I can't wait to watch will be Sandy Mundo tear down of the Rivian R2,
to see how much Rivian took advice and improve and simplify the design of the R2 over the R1.

I hope that Rivian is more doing vertical design and internal manufacturing for the R2,
compared to the R1 which was mostly outsourced and had some complex designed components.

One example was the number of bolts (like a hundred) used to assemble the hybrid
design chassis construction combining a unibody shell with a skateboard platform.

JUNK! JUNK AND JUNK! I know all two rivian owners in my state and they are unhappy!
Unsure what to think of your offhand, anecdotal evidence. Over 19k R1Ts were sold in the US in 2023.

Kyle Connor may not be the say-all-be-all for EVs, but he is an R1T owner saying good things about the truck and still prefers it as his electric truck of choice. He doesn’t ignore the downsides. He has a lot of experience with a wide range of EVs. I trust his opinion. To call the R1T junk is inaccurate, at best.

Personally, I’m excited for every new EV announcement, even if the product doesn’t live up to my expectations. The more, the merrier.

This video does a fair job of laying out potentially ideal use cases for the F-150 Lightning, R1T and Cybertruck.

God I’m so sick of all the childish neg posts about other electric truck’s. There’s plenty of room in the pool for all! Just because I don’t care for the CT or Rivian doesn’t mean they are bad at all. Just not for me. There are plenty of great things about each. Even here on TMC there are so many that want to bash the CT arguing it’s not a real truck, range and frunk disappointment etc. Who cares what you think? It’s the buyer choice and as long as it fits their needs life is good.

Lived with a 2005 Ridgeline for years. It’s was really too small for my truck needs. All the power of a V6 and the fuel economy of a V8! Yea that full time all wheel drive has a cost and not that much benefit. Finally replaced it with a Tundra. Much better truck for my needs. While I was pretty active on the Ridgeline forum I never complained about its shortcomings. I mean who cares. If you don’t like it, sell it and move on.

People don’t need to convince others that their truck is bad. They just need to feel their own truck is good enough. I do.

JUNK! JUNK AND JUNK! I know all two rivian owners in my state and they are unhappy!
Ten-year Tesla owner (S, X, 3, Y) here. Last summer I replaced my 2016 Model X P90D with a Rivian R1S and am very happy.

I had a couple of 12V electrical issues in the first month, and it's been perfect since then - no panel gaps and a great-looking and comfortable interior with lots more room than the Model X despite a very similar footprint (but less efficient mi/kWh).

People said the same thing about Tesla...

I just don't understand the mentality of wishing a company to fail, especially one that seemingly puts out a solid product.

currently rivian is loosing 30k for every car they sell - build cost 120k, sale price 80k, profit -30k... demand is down, inventory is up, and even with ramping up of production the build cost is still 120k for a foreseeable future... and this is the genius of tesla, they make more they profit more... only tesla...

currently rivian is loosing 30k for every car they sell - build cost 120k, sale price 80k, profit -30k... demand is down, inventory is up, and even with ramping up of production the build cost is still 120k for a foreseeable future... and this is the genius of tesla, they make more they profit more... only tesla...
Sounds about where Tesla was at this point in the curve with the Model S and X

Exactly. People act as if being a from-the-ground-up automaker is easy to do. It took Tesla YEARS to become profitable, and it'll be the same for Rivian. If I recall correctly, Tesla didn't become profitable until Model 3 production started ramping. Tesla's first full-year profit came in 2020, eight years after the Model S was introduced.

Funny how people don't afford Rivian the same grace...

Exactly. People act as if being a from-the-ground-up automaker is easy to do. It took Tesla YEARS to become profitable, and it'll be the same for Rivian. If I recall correctly, Tesla didn't become profitable until Model 3 production started ramping. Tesla's first full-year profit came in 2020, eight years after the Model S was introduced.

Funny how people don't afford Rivian the same grace...
y all underestimate tesla by comparing tesla to rivian, y all are even worse than the legacy automakers and all the $tsla short sellers who wanted wanted tesla to fail... there is a huge difference between tesla and rivian in terms of - storyline expectations hype fanbase momentum cultpersonality sensationalism etc...

tell me what does rivian have besides fancy looking cars... ???

y all underestimate tesla by comparing tesla to rivian, y all are even worse than the legacy automakers and all the $tsla short sellers who wanted wanted tesla to fail... there is a huge difference between tesla and rivian in terms of - storyline expectations hype fanbase momentum cultpersonality sensationalism etc...

tell me what does rivian have besides fancy looking cars... ???
We were really just talking about “loss per vehicle” calculations at a point in time in a developing automotive OEM company history. It’s really a bit of a misnomer - AS IT WAS FOR TESLA until production and operations start to gain momentum and R&D, factory operations, labor footprint have a larger REVENUE base to divide manufacturing costs and operating expense by. Why not jump on LCID as this point, I think their ‘per vehicle loss” is still calculated at ~ $200K+

Audi5000

I would ask, where is this data that shows that for RIVN demand is down and inventory is up? I know for the overall EV industry this is the case, but I haven’t seen this actual info for RIVN? I’ve actually read the opposite that their R1S product has seen increased demand and wait times, other than one off cancellations which they make available to buyers later in the queue if they want maybe a different color or options selection?

Interested

I would ask, where is this data that shows that for RIVN demand is down and inventory is up? I know for the overall EV industry this is the case, but I haven’t seen this actual info for RIVN? I’ve actually read the opposite that their R1S product has seen increased demand and wait times, other than one off cancellations which they make available to buyers later in the queue if they want maybe a different color or options selection?

Interested
go look up rivian ceo earning call q&a session... he dodges and makes up stuff when questioned about increasing invetonry...

go look up rivian ceo earning call q&a session... he dodges and makes up stuff when questioned about increasing invetonry...
Ok, so that’s your data? As a publicly traded company I would expect a bit more than that.. inventory trackers, order cancelations, etc.. the Q4 report, which I don’t really have any reason not to believe showed basically in line production and delivery numbers, within ~ 500?

Are there other similar anecdotal reports somewhere to back up this claim ?

And, BTW, I goggled what you suggested and came up with nothing. In the entire Q&A there is ONE mention of the word INVENTORY and it doesn’t seem like any sort of dodge and making stuff up and technically it’s not really even ABOUT inventory.. So again, I’m truly interested, but in facts.

Last edited:
Ok, so that’s your data? As a publicly traded company I would expect a bit more than that.. inventory trackers, order cancelations, etc.. the Q4 report, which I don’t really have any reason not to believe showed basically in line production and delivery numbers, within ~ 500?

Are there other similar anecdotal reports somewhere to back up this claim ?

And, BTW, I goggled what you suggested and came up with nothing. In the entire Q&A there is ONE mention of the word INVENTORY and it doesn’t seem like any sort of dodge and making stuff up and technically it’s not really even ABOUT inventory.. So again, I’m truly interested, but in facts.