Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Noise ? That bad ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read a couple posts of people complaining about road noise. Is it really that bad on the Model X ? Can people with 20" wheels give their opinion ? Im coming from a Cayenne that is really quiet. Will I be dissapointed ? i test drove a few model s, road noise was never an issue.

Reactions: gowthamn
Yes a very loud engine sound. :)

Seriously, there is some outside wind noise when you accelerate or drive really fast that sounds like it is coming from the windshield. Other than that I have not heard any other noises. Maybe that is what people are complaining about. I have heard no inside wind whistling sounds. It is a bit of a stiff ride so you feel and hear bumps in the road especially highway expansion joints, but I heard that in my Highlander so it doesn't bother me.

Check the seal on both sides between the larger front door window and the small corner window when the front doors are open.

There should be no gaps between the rubber and the glass. The gap will tighten up when the door is closed, that is why you must check when the door is open.

Tesla Motors Service Center was able to adjust my passenger side from 1/4 " air gap at the top to zero gap. That did decrease the noise of vehicles driving by when the Model X is stopped at a major intersection.

Another thing to check is if the glass edge alignment is aerodynamic. For example, is a window edge sticking out and catching the air or are the windows properly aligned for smooth air flow.

Last edited:
Those complaining about road noise had defects in construction. My X appears to be perfect, and no real road noise beyond wind and tire-road vibration. It's a non-factor.

The tire-road thing can be weird coming out of a driveway or pulling out of a parking spot with the windows open. Since there's no engine noise to mask it, all you hear is the squeaking of rubber-on-asphalt (or concrete).

An interesting comparison can be made by viewing a door seal on Model X and compare them with the door seal on Model S. Be sure to only lift an edge of a seal just enough to take a look on what is going on underneath. You will find quite a difference in how they are attached. There are attachment points with Model S compared with attachment across an entire door seal with Model X. The point method of attachment with Model S appears to be the same on 2012 Signature vehicles and recent Model S vehicles.

Since Model X relies on a strip of adhesive, I have noticed more variation in the position of the door seal when comparing older and newer Model X vehicles while viewing the area of the bottom half of the falcon wing door seals attached to the door pillars and sill.

After washing Model X, gently towel dry the water off the paint near the area of the door seals when the doors are open. Look to see if any of the door seals have come loose. As shown in the photos, the front seal at the front doors is only visible if the door is fully open. If the adhesive has failed and the rubber seal is no longer attached, be sure to contact your service center.

These three photos show the front door hinge area door seal of Model X properly positioned, after coming loose and the loose end flipped to show the 1/4" adhesive strip. Click a photo for a closeup view.

Seal Attached.JPG Seal Loose.JPG Seal Adhesive.JPG

Last edited:
I have the 22" wheels and I too was concerned about the posts on road noise. As for me, the ride is smoother and quieter than my model S. I don't feel it rough or stiff. A quiet ride is one of my most important factors and I feel it meets that standard.

• Helpful
Reactions: goneskiian
Coming from a good quality ICE SUV (Acura MDX), I would say my Model X with 20" Conti's is about the same or a bit better. You can hear the road noise a bit more perhaps, or I should state you can detect when the road surface changes easier. I attribute a lot of that to the fact that the tires on an ICE are usually about 36 lbs and the Model X when warm is more like 45 lbs.

Road noise is different than wind noise. I am ok with road noise as long as the X itself is not the problem. But wind noise really has to do with the seal causing the air to come inside of the cabin. I can't stand the wind noise. I originally had the passenger door wind noise, reset it and it's good. Now the driver window wind noise, reset it again, now both doors are all good. But I definitely expect the wind noise to come back at any time. I don't plan to get that fixed anymore due to the replacement X is coming. But during the wait time, I have to burden myself to live with the wind noise. I probably wait for another couple of days to see the noise comes back before I finally take the SC to fix them.

BTW I looked around the car in general, found so many misalignments on the silver panels, seals and rubbers. I love the car, it's the best car to drive but my existing Model X build quality is definitely subpar. I am hoping Tesla will address all these issues so my replacement X will be much better in term of quality.

Yeah, i took a test drive on a MX the other day and also noted tons of wind noise coming from what appears the drivers rear view mirror. Guess I will have to live with it. Must be honest though , I started paying attention to the wind noise in the cayenne and its pretty significant when you focus on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Drivin
Read a couple posts of people complaining about road noise. Is it really that bad on the Model X ? Can people with 20" wheels give their opinion ? Im coming from a Cayenne that is really quiet. Will I be dissapointed ? i test drove a few model s, road noise was never an issue.

My X replaced a Cayenne S. I considered the Cayenne the best (overall) vehicle I had been fortunate to own. In terms of SUVs specifically, I have previously owned/driven vehicles from Jeep and Lexus as well as Porsche.

I was very worried that I would be "disappointed" with the Model X given that I was coming from a Cayenne S.

My P90D Model X experience surpasses all of my previous SUV experiences. The Cayenne is a great vehicle, but it (and the Macan) represent the peak of the ICE SUV evolutionary path while the Model X represents a revolutionary leap forward into the future -- and one that has been very thoughtfully and capably executed by Tesla.

As far as road noise is concerned, there is no comparison. The X is so quiet you will hear wind noise and road noise that you would never hear in the Cayenne. My ears and those of passengers agree that the X is a far quieter vehicle. An audiophile friend of mine is insanely jealous.

If my experience is any guide, you will be very happy with your X.

My X replaced a Cayenne S. I considered the Cayenne the best (overall) vehicle I had been fortunate to own. In terms of SUVs specifically, I have previously owned/driven vehicles from Jeep and Lexus as well as Porsche.

I was very worried that I would be "disappointed" with the Model X given that I was coming from a Cayenne S.

My P90D Model X experience surpasses all of my previous SUV experiences. The Cayenne is a great vehicle, but it (and the Macan) represent the peak of the ICE SUV evolutionary path while the Model X represents a revolutionary leap forward into the future -- and one that has been very thoughtfully and capably executed by Tesla.

As far as road noise is concerned, there is no comparison. The X is so quiet you will hear wind noise and road noise that you would never hear in the Cayenne. My ears and those of passengers agree that the X is a far quieter vehicle. An audiophile friend of mine is insanely jealous.

If my experience is any guide, you will be very happy with your X.
Thank you!

I don't hear any wind noise at all since the service center fixed all the seals and window alignment issues.

However, I hear more road noise from the tires than I did on my Rav4 EV. Granted, I put Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires on the Toyota that made for near silent running, even on rough highways. Hopefully I can find equivalent tires for the Model X that will cut down on the tire noise. I should note, though, that on newer paved highways (not the concrete ribbed ones), the car is pretty much silent at all speeds.

Road noise is different than wind noise. I am ok with road noise as long as the X itself is not the problem. But wind noise really has to do with the seal causing the air to come inside of the cabin. I can't stand the wind noise. I originally had the passenger door wind noise, reset it and it's good. Now the driver window wind noise, reset it again, now both doors are all good. But I definitely expect the wind noise to come back at any time. I don't plan to get that fixed anymore due to the replacement X is coming. But during the wait time, I have to burden myself to live with the wind noise. I probably wait for another couple of days to see the noise comes back before I finally take the SC to fix them.

BTW I looked around the car in general, found so many misalignments on the silver panels, seals and rubbers. I love the car, it's the best car to drive but my existing Model X build quality is definitely subpar. I am hoping Tesla will address all these issues so my replacement X will be much better in term of quality.
What do you mean by "the replacement X is coming"?

I have a Signature Model X and consider the road noise pretty strong. I suspected so far that the cause could be the Continental tires which seem not as good as for example the high end of Michelin tires. Could the problem come from something else (I also have the wind noise coming from the driver window but the Service Center is working on it and anyway I don't see it as the cause of the road noise)?