Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went for a drive in our Model 3 yesterday and it was loud. I don't know about a model S or X specifically. In 1988, I rode in a Lexus and it was road silent.

How does road actually enter the cabin?

Does a stainless steel unibody have anything to do with reducing or (yikes!) increasing road noise?

I have my tri-motor reservation in but if the noise is the same as my Model 3, I'm out.

Basically, Tesla’s are poorly built. They use the bare minimum of insulating materials and also use the cheapest glass.

German and some Japanese manufacturers take build quality very seriously. I came from BMW, drove a Model S, and it is laughable how bad the road and wind noise is on a $100K+ vehicle.

People coming from Toyota’s and Honda’s don’t seem to mind as much. Neither do the Tesla apologists.

I would expect the truck to be louder. Less aerodynamic, larger tires and wheels. But no one will know for quite some time. Like all new Tesla’s, good luck getting a test drive in one.

Basically, Tesla’s are poorly built. They use the bare minimum of insulating materials and also use the cheapest glass.

German and some Japanese manufacturers take build quality very seriously. I came from BMW, drove a Model S, and it is laughable how bad the road and wind noise is on a $100K+ vehicle.

People coming from Toyota’s and Honda’s don’t seem to mind as much. Neither do the Tesla apologists.

I would expect the truck to be louder. Less aerodynamic, larger tires and wheels. But no one will know for quite some time. Like all new Tesla’s, good luck getting a test drive in one.
I have a Model 3 and a Model Y. The Model Y is much quieter than the 3. So they have already improved and I expect that will continue. In the Model 3 they used the bare minimum insulation for cost savings (trying to hit $35k) and to reduce weight to extend range. Decreasing battery costs and increased density along with improved motor efficiency has given them some headroom to add insulation without reducing overall range and margins. They make their own glass and there's nothing wrong with it. I assume that the break resistant glass on the Cybertruck will be thicker and, therefore, quieter. But I agree with @Zelectric that the tires look like they will generate a lot of road noise, especially for the BMW's as it blows by. :D

Reactions: Tysto