Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip to Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
I'm looking to take a road trip from the the PA/NJ/NY area to Toronto or Montreal this summer. Has anyone done the drive? I'm kind of curious to what happens with the internet connectivity. Do the superchargers in canada work the same in terms of open access, idle billing, etc.?

Thanks,

It works the same... no problem. I did that trip, plus Vancouver to Calgary which was the most incredible stretch of road of my entire 48 state and Canada road trip...

No problem at all in the East. I cannot speak to the remainder of Canada since I have not driven a Tesla in Canada apart from the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario.

Awesome, thank you!

What about internet connectivity in Canada? I was thinking having a road trip to Canada from NYC as well.

I didn't know if it would still be active since it would be considered international/roaming for internet connectivity - if I'd have streaming radio, navigation etc.

Happy to hear it's the same experience.

I just completed a round trip from York, PA to Canada. I stayed for several days in St. Catherines, ON and traveled as far as Mississauga-- almost all the way to Toronto. I didn't experience any problems. Though I did notice a few minor oddities. Notice the speed limit sign says "161". Neither 161 km/h or 161 mph makes any sense. I think AP read the posted speed limit sign of "100" and erroneously translated it to 161 MPH. Also, I had to manually switch to metric: Settings > Units & Formats.

IMG_0570.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
I'll be making a road trip to Montreal from MD in a few days. I've got two potential paths. Cut through PA NY or take 95 through DE NJ NY. Leaning towards PA in hopes of less traffic.

Anything to watch out for at the border crossing?

I'll be making a road trip to Montreal from MD in a few days. I've got two potential paths. Cut through PA NY or take 95 through DE NJ NY. Leaning towards PA in hopes of less traffic.

Anything to watch out for at the border crossing?

From MD, depending on time of day I usually cut through PA and back into NJ around the New Hope/Yardley area. Less traffic and no tolls. Only negative is no SCs that way..

From MD, depending on time of day I usually cut through PA and back into NJ around the New Hope/Yardley area. Less traffic and no tolls. Only negative is no SCs that way..
I agree there's likely less traffic through PA up I-81 than NJ. Probably more elevation change overall, but there should be enough superchargers along the way. According to EV Trip Planner, routing from the Laurel supercharger to the Saint-Laurent supercharger, it's an extra 15-20 rated miles total and 50-55 minutes to go via I-81 vs. I-95 / I-87 -- that includes charging time but doesn't account for differences in traffic. (I chose Laurel arbitrarily since you didn't say where in MD.)

I can't say anything about the border crossings; I haven't driven quite that far north. (I only got as far as Cooperstown and Albany last summer.)

Road trip complete. This is more or less the route I took:
https://goo.gl/maps/U4fL6igNjFN2

Decided to bypass Syracuse since it involved diverting from the main road in a dense population area.

The border crossing was fairly painless. I tested out the use of the passport card and it worked out great heading into Canada and back into the US. The guards I encountered were pretty nice and gave me no hassles.

I ended up not bothering using the Montreal charger and just charged up at Cornwall longer to just reach my final destination in Montreal with enough energy to go back to Cornwall when leaving.

Internet cut out a few miles past the toll before Canada but came back for the rest of the journey. I continued to listen to some D.M.V. stations while up using TuneIn streaming radio.

I wasn't a fan of the Tesla app automatically changing it's default measurements based on my location (e.g. metric in Canada and English in US) but that was a minor annoyance.

I just completed a round trip from York, PA to Canada. I stayed for several days in St. Catherines, ON and traveled as far as Mississauga-- almost all the way to Toronto. I didn't experience any problems. Though I did notice a few minor oddities. Notice the speed limit sign says "161". Neither 161 km/h or 161 mph makes any sense. I think AP read the posted speed limit sign of "100" and erroneously translated it to 161 MPH. Also, I had to manually switch to metric: Settings > Units & Formats.

View attachment 227147
Here's what probably happened - car read 100, (100MPH is 161 kmph) and converted to kms for you (somehow unaware it was in Canada where kms are on the sign. You still have a bug, but this is my guess as to how it went astray.

Took delivery of my 75D today in Oakville, ON. Noticed the same problem, reading speed limit in mph and then converted into km/h.
Really strange cuz I'm based out of Canada and all references have been set to metric.
Switching the units back and forth did not seem to do the trick.
Reported a bug...let's see what happens.

Just noticed this thread. I'm in Quebec right now and have traveled extensively through BC and Alberta as well and I can confirm that there are no issues with internet, nav, and all the streaming stuff. Of course in some rural areas, your internet goes out and the streaming radio stops working, but this happens in the US too and I would say the reliability is approximately similar in Canada.

I still have the km/mi conversion bug! It looks like some of you are saying this was fixed but not for me. When I first crossed in to Canada I switched to metric, but all the 161 and 193 kph speed limits showing up in the dash proved too annoying so I had to switch back to miles. Then at least I can look down at the dash and know what the speed limit is (in kph). Fortunately I'm good at math and have a lot of experience driving in Canada so it's pretty much second nature for me anyway to know that 80kph=50mph, 100kph=62mph etc.

The way it is set up would work well if I were a Canadian wanting to travel in the US using metric, but it doesn't work going the other direction! It seems like the car should know I'm in Canada with the GPS and all. One strange thing is the cruise control does actually set to an appropriate speed. For example, I have it set to automatically go 10mph over the speed limit. If I'm in a 100kph zone and I activate the cruise control it will set it to 72mph which is 10 over the speed limit of 62mph.