Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip with the Thule Cargo Hitch Box (Transporter Combi)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very informative thread. Considering picking one of these up for some extra space on long trips. On gas cars I've done roof boxes, but with the widely spaced V2 Supercharger installs and increasing SC prices, I'd rather not cut range by 30%.

So did you cut exactly 6" off of the shank? Angle grinder? And did you just use a standard drill to re-drill the hole for the hitch pin?
Took the easy way out. Had a fabrication shop remove 6” and then drilled & tap, $35. Then went to the hardware store and purchased two shorter bolts to replace the single supplied bolt that doesn’t go fully through

Note that you can purchase the Thule box directly from Mazda far cheaper then any other source

Reactions: limmerguy
Well, it looks like Thule has discontinued the Transporter Combi with the Thule Arcos replacing it. Marketing images all show a Model 3, and they specifically talk about EV range with the product now. They even claim it will increase range in some circumstances.
I just took a look because I was curious. They go for $1,181.95?! That’s insane lol. I think I got mine (used) for $400. They pop up on FB marketplace and CL every once in a while.

Unfortunately it looks like now that the Transporter Combi is discontinued, FB Marketplace sellers are selling the Combi for like $700 now. Arcos system is $1,400 once you buy both pieces (hitch portion and the box itself). Hard to justify at that price. I had a chance to pick up a transporter combi for around $300 from a marketplace seller last year and I'm really mad I didn't pull the trigger.

Documenting another 2.1k mile road trip and efficiency numbers with the Thule box.
  • Same notes as my original post. (RWD Tesla Model 3 Long Range. Aero wheels. Hitch + Thule Hitch Box, etc etc)
  • Brand new Sentury UHP tires
    • New tires are >1% larger in diameter due to dread depth. Old tires were bald on the inner edge. Odometer readings and efficiency should be adjusted when comparing numbers to my previous road trip. Side note: These were the cheapest tires at America's tires @$66 a pop + taxes, hazard protection, and installation. Overall, great tires. I could make a separate post about them.
  • Trip was 2,091 miles @ 257 Wh/mi. Oddly, my lifetime average efficiency is higher @ 265 Wh/mi
  • No drafting for ~50% of the miles since I couldn't find a speeding buddy on some routes
  • Weather: between 80ºF and 112º F. Significant headwinds on some legs this time. Almost no tailwinds. AC was on blast the 90% of the time. Even sweltering hot weather seems to give better the efficiency when at highway speeds
  • Spent just $87 towards Supercharging
  • Car camped one night ($30). Tent camped three ($30, $30, $40). Motel/Hotel for three ($70, $140, $200). For every night except for one, we had destination charging or plugged into a 50 amp RV plug
  • 150kW superchargers are sometimes painfully slow. SC congestion, overheating equipment, an unconditioned battery were not factors in some of my observed slow charge rates. Maybe some of the v2 superchargers are just getting tired and old
  • My hitch bottomed-out only once
  • I can pretty much reverse without the aid of my wireless camera now
  • I still like the hitch box very much. A definite keeper. I sold my rooftop cargo box this past weekend since I'm sure I won't use it anymore
View attachment 684277

Lifetime efficiency (since my HW 2.5 install)
View attachment 684278

Hi Limmerguy,
What is your review on Sentury tire?