Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2 ( formerly 2010 model )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, try switching into Performance mode. Performance mode raises the thermal limits on the battery pack. Obviously, you don't want to drive in performance mode every day, but if you're 20 minutes from home and you notice your A/C is starting to favor the battery, switch to performance. The A/C will redirect to the cabin and the battery will not warm significantly in the remaining 20 minutes of driving.

I did try the performance mode option and it seemed to make the A/C work better when it was very hot outside.

On another note, there seems to be some serious problem with the firmware on the new 2010's as Bob, the LA store service manager, is coming to my house tomorrow morning to do an upgrade. When I asked what it was fixing he was very coy as said he didn't know. I then asked why they couldn't upgrade it wirelessly (supposedly a new feature of the 2010's) and he said that wasn't enabled yet. Maybe I'll be able to pry some more info out of him when he is here in person.

Bob Sexton stopped by my house today to load the new firmware. It's now 4.0.59. Said it was to fix some obscure problem that could cause the car to shutdown under some extreme heat and speed conditions. I finally got around to taking some pictures, so here they are. :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 136
How hard is it to read the VDS there in the new location, particularly with the top off outside?

It is pretty hard. I spoke with Bob about it today and said I am going to send him an e-mail with some changes they should make to the VDS screens. For one thing the leather covers the edge of the screen so it makes it hard to press the buttons that on the the bottom left or right of the screen. They should also make "day" mode screens with white backgrounds and black text and have night mode screens with the current colors.

I can't quite tell your interior colors from the photos, but I bet you're lovin' the black wheels! (I know I am).

The black wheels do look good on radiant red. I really like the contrast of the blacktop vs the black wheels. The black softtop looks great. I can only imagine how the carbon fiber hardtop will look in a few months. This is now my favorite picture, at least until next week when I get the car here and I can take another 100+.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2452/3730091039_b79df0818d_d.jpg

My interior colors are black/red with executive leather. You can see the contrast stitching in this picture that Ted took with his cell phone camera.

Large version

Flickr Photo Download: Tesla4

Medium version

3730889230_c292bf1f01_d.jpg

Last edited:
How soon do you actually get it in your hands?

Tesla said they could ship it next Tuesday, but that means it would be too late for the Wayland Invitational on July 24-25. Their shipping company typically takes 5 to 10 days because they carry many cars and not always a direct route.

So I just cancelled my Tesla Motors delivery and hired a personal enclosed transport from Menlo Park to Seattle. Guaranteed delivery in two days. I should get it by Thursday next week. That is just in time for us to all caravan down to Portland Oregon for the Wayland Invitational electric drag races.

Last edited:
Having fought with car shippers myself, have a backup! I've dealt with so many that make promises and just plain don't deliver! I don't know your situation, but perhaps you should check out transportreviews.com

Having fought with car shippers myself, have a backup! I've dealt with so many that make promises and just plain don't deliver! I don't know your situation, but perhaps you should check out transportreviews.com

Thanks for the tip. I just looked up the company that I hired. They have very good reviews for the past two years.

I really didn't research this before hiring them. I should have. I just hired the one that my business partner recommened because he had used them in the past.

From the latest Tesla newsletter:
Roadster 2
Our engineers have been hard at work on the first major product upgrade since we began production in 2008. Roadster 2 embodies Tesla's spirit of continuous improvement and offers:

• An upgraded interior and push-button "gear" selector, center mounted touch screen, and an enclosed and locking glove box.
• An easy-to-read, centrally mounted video display screen to monitor real-time vehicle data, from estimated range to the number of barrels of oil you've saved while driving your Tesla.
• An even simpler motor that generates more power and is more efficient.
• An array of new options, including an "executive interior" of exposed carbon fiber and premium leather, adjustable suspension, and clear coated carbon fiber body accents. The visual depth of carbon fiber weave in sunlight is stunning.