Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the moment Elon's Roadster 2020 is no less of vaporware than the 2000hp Ford electric van. A prototype exists somewhere in the world, so what? Will Elon ever get the Roadster 2020 out to the world? Maybe (note that taking a deposit on a Tesla does not guarantee it will ever be made, just ask people who put a deposit on Elon's Plaid+ wet dream). But even if Elon pulls it off, and Roadster 2020 shows up half a decade late, so what - very low volume car. My point is, Tesla is quickly losing the edge on the volume cars. Maybe Tesla will transform into a contender in a some niche markets, like Lamborghini - cool looking, high performance, not practical for every driving cars, which most people cannot afford.
I don't know. They are cranking out 3s and Ys with good manufacturing. The last two 3s I helped inspect this year were nearly perfect at delivery. They are everywhere now.

The manufacturing on the S / x sucks, but I don't think they care. All the attention is on the 3/Y.

I don't know. They are cranking out 3s and Ys with good manufacturing. The last two 3s I helped inspect this year were nearly perfect at delivery. They are everywhere now.

The manufacturing on the S / x sucks, but I don't think they care. All the attention is on the 3/Y.

An average of 2.26 initial quality problems per Tesla produced according to JD Power.

1656917354638.png

Source: Electric vehicle companies have a serious quality problem

After still seeing "awaiting payment" for the wire transfer I called Tesla today and did get through fairly quickly to a person. They can see the wire transfer was made and not sure why their "system" is not updating. Seems a simple enough discovery process but the more interesting news was I was told their order of priorities in the build cycle was the truck-semi and then the roadster third. Not sure if this is because they owe a lot of "free" roadsters earned by people helping sell Tesla's or what. Maybe someone know how many they are on the hook for? By the way these "free" vehicles will come attached with a 1099 that Tesla can put almost any value they choose on and most likely will need to be in the exact name of the person who helped sell them. I am not an attorney or accountant just my own personal opinion. Maybe someone else can chime in that has better creds than me. Most likely they will release these vehicles at a slow pace to not flood the market and erode pricing. Hopefully Tesla will come out with a schedule soon but even if they do not many will believe it. Good luck to all with the journey.

Reactions: Hank42
After now one month since my order (And complete payment) still shows "pending payment" I'm about ready to throw in the towel with any hope that Tesla is serious about the roadster of the future. Acknowledging a wire transfer is not rocket science (Sorry Space X). After 3 discussions they see the transfers and the best they can say is their system "seems" to not have updated the account. I feel sorry for the 1,000 that coughed up 1/4 mil to buy a founder's edition. Hopefully the price is locked in but somehow, I doubt it.

Third call occurred 2 days ago. They have until the end of the week to acknowledge they received my wire transfer now well over a month ago or I will ask for it back. How can one build a super car when you can't even acknowledge an order? This is not rocket science..........

Third call occurred 2 days ago. They have until the end of the week to acknowledge they received my wire transfer now well over a month ago or I will ask for it back. How can one build a super car when you can't even acknowledge an order? This is not rocket science..........
Not surprised, unfortunately. I've got a lot of problems with my Plaid and service just can't fix them. Every time I bring it in to fix something, they break something in the process and don't fix the original issue. I'm on service visit number six to correct items noted at delivery.

This is the fifth Tesla I've bought and the worst experience so far. I think I'm done with Tesla, unfortunately.

Not surprised, unfortunately. I've got a lot of problems with my Plaid and service just can't fix them. Every time I bring it in to fix something, they break something in the process and don't fix the original issue. I'm on service visit number six to correct items noted at delivery.

This is the fifth Tesla I've bought and the worst experience so far. I think I'm done with Tesla, unfortunately.
This feels a bit familiar in too many ways. My AC compressor or control valving would cease to work randomly (mostly when raining so the windscreen would fog up) early on. Tesla did not have the part and, for six months, would routinely reschedule the appointment out another couple of months. Nothing for the last six months. I have no faith that the company will follow up and eventually address the problem without me driving the process.

I'm afraid the drive and magic has faded from Tesla and they have transitioned from super excited start up to large mass that really does not care to do the job right (at least from the customer interface side).

Still buying the cars as there is simply no comparison but having a visceral reaction (negative) to dealing with the company.

Reactions: Olle
This feels a bit familiar in too many ways. My AC compressor or control valving would cease to work randomly (mostly when raining so the windscreen would fog up) early on. Tesla did not have the part and, for six months, would routinely reschedule the appointment out another couple of months. Nothing for the last six months. I have no faith that the company will follow up and eventually address the problem without me driving the process.

I'm afraid the drive and magic has faded from Tesla and they have transitioned from super excited start up to large mass that really does not care to do the job right (at least from the customer interface side).

Still buying the cars as there is simply no comparison but having a visceral reaction (negative) to dealing with the company.

Yeah. They need to drop Elon and put an adult in charge. The time for big visionary ideas is over. They just need to execute on the current plan reliably, improve manufacturing, and improve service.

Thinking about ordering but not encouraged by this discussion!

Also, why is there no CarPlay? EVERY car has it now. I use Waze religiously.

There's an odd juxtaposition when you see all the tech in a Tesla and a driver with an iPhone stuck to their dash and a USB cord snaked to the charge port!

There's an odd juxtaposition when you see all the tech in a Tesla and a driver with an iPhone stuck to their dash and a USB cord snaked to the charge port!
I leave my phone on the charging pad running Google maps. I should try waze, though I think they have the same data now. Generally, the navigation in the car almost always agrees with Google maps. The speed trap warning on Google maps is nice.

CarPlay is nice, but not needed in my opinion. You get use to the Tesla infotainment system, and most of the features are supported. Slacker for streamlining music instead of Apple Music, iMessage integration to send and response to messages, browser, navigation with multi destinations with RTT along with HOV lane support. The only thing that is lacking is 3rd party app support, but then again most of those are part of the Infotainment system.

Waze is nice, but if you really need it, you're correct, you have to mount your iPhone/Android phone and use it that way.

I highly doubt you'll see CarPlay or androidAuto come to any Tesla vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex
The answer is simpler than you think - because Elon did not invent it. Be happy Teslas still have round wheels (for now). And by "wheels" I mean the ones with tires on rolling on the road, not steering wheels, since Elon invented a rectangular steering yoke and is pushing it hard. Allowing Apple CarPlay or Android Auto would also hinder Elon's MCU refresh market. He really does want to build a closed eco-system of Tesla apps, not allow some other apps he does not control. I would not be surprised if Tesla released a smartphone at some point, fully integrated with the car.