Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CarPlay is nice, but not needed in my opinion. You get use to the Tesla infotainment system, and most of the features are supported. Slacker for streamlining music instead of Apple Music, iMessage integration to send and response to messages, browser, navigation with multi destinations with RTT along with HOV lane support. The only thing that is lacking is 3rd party app support, but then again most of those are part of the Infotainment system.

Waze is nice, but if you really need it, you're correct, you have to mount your iPhone/Android phone and use it that way.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Tesla does not provide all the apps I want. For example, what is the Tesla equivalent of Waze with speed traps being displayed and option to report new ones? How about other 3rd party apps, like audio books, or radar detectors, etc. Apple CarPlay or Android Auto gives you access to competing apps. On Tesla you are stuck with apps Tesla wrote or convinced some poor developer to write for Tesla for free (see recent stories how Tesla approached various game developers and told them they will pay no licensing or NRE to port to Tesla, that "exposure" on Tesla cars is payment enough). Then there is a constant need to upgrade in order to even get the latest apps on Tesla. If you have as late as Feb 2018 Model S, you still have MCU1. Sure you can upgrade, but the upgrade costs more than a top of the line new iPhone, especially if you consider that you have to trade in the old MCU (you can upgrade your top of the line iPhone for less).

I drove my kids' cars (which cost WAY less new than any Tesla) recently with Apple CarPlay. I only switched to Apple recently from Android since I have a Taycan coming and wanted wireless Apple Car Play vs. wired Anrdoid Auto. The experience on a much smaller screen is so much better! The only thing I missed about Tesla is the rear view camera always on top of the screen serving as a supplement to rear view mirror (and in my Model S as blind spot monitor, since Elon's idea of using ultrasonic sensors for that was moronic fail). Then again, Elon has tried to kill the ability to keep the rear view camera on top of the screen anyways, so it will probably go away at some point (perhaps another reason not to upgrade to newer MCU).

Reactions: n2mb_racing
After still seeing "awaiting payment" for the wire transfer I called Tesla today and did get through fairly quickly to a person. They can see the wire transfer was made and not sure why their "system" is not updating. Seems a simple enough discovery process but the more interesting news was I was told their order of priorities in the build cycle was the truck-semi and then the roadster third. Not sure if this is because they owe a lot of "free" roadsters earned by people helping sell Tesla's or what. Maybe someone know how many they are on the hook for? By the way these "free" vehicles will come attached with a 1099 that Tesla can put almost any value they choose on and most likely will need to be in the exact name of the person who helped sell them. I am not an attorney or accountant just my own personal opinion. Maybe someone else can chime in that has better creds than me. Most likely they will release these vehicles at a slow pace to not flood the market and erode pricing. Hopefully Tesla will come out with a schedule soon but even if they do not many will believe it. Good luck to all with the journey.
The "Free ones" should be delivered after the people who are paying good money for one have taken delivery. Can you imagine the flip rate on the free ones if they were delivered first?

The "Free ones" should be delivered after the people who are paying good money for one have taken delivery. Can you imagine the flip rate on the free ones if they were delivered first?
Why would it be any different early than later? The market value of the car will of course be higher at first, but that is the same regardless of how much you paid for the car. You could also argue if someone got it for free, they are more inclined to sell it for less, but that again doesn't change based when you got it.

Why would it be any different early than later? The market value of the car will of course be higher at first, but that is the same regardless of how much you paid for the car. You could also argue if someone got it for free, they are more inclined to sell it for less, but that again doesn't change based when you got it.

I’d be fine not getting an early one. They seem to make tweaks to the production as they learn of issues.

But at this rate, I’d like some news from Tesla.

Reactions: Congo Line
There is always _SOMEONE_ who wants to skip the line and willing to pay a premium for it - especially when they see it, touch it, feel it. The need to have it can be overwhelming.

There is always _SOMEONE_ who wants to skip the line and willing to pay a premium for it - especially when they see it, touch it, feel it. The need to have it can be overwhelming.
Absolutely, so that drives the market value of car up, regardless whether someone paid a quarter of a million for it, or nothing. The only effect of lots of people getting them for free at the beginning would be lowering the market price if there suddenly a flood of Roadsters showed up on ebay from all the people who got it for free.

Reactions: croman
Uh... I think you are doing taxes wrong. That's not how they work. 😅
It can work that way. Wife's fund earns $5 million in capital gains with taxes due at $1 million. Husband earns $1,000,000. All his income (pre-tax) goes to taxes adn they still owe taxes. Then anything you buy you pay taxes on, anything you own of substantial value you pay property taxes on, and in certain places you might pay a wealth tax on top of that for everything you own of any value. That's how taxes work.

Listen to this new podcast from the time stamp you see in the image…then cry. No hard timing came out but it absolutely didn’t seem like something that was coming anytime soon and that they’re still developing it. Sigh. I guess I’ll be $50k more liquid soon which is a plus. 😂

2FCA2F32-A2B4-4D0A-99E7-348C90FA58B2.png

It can work that way. Wife's fund earns $5 million in capital gains with taxes due at $1 million. Husband earns $1,000,000. All his income (pre-tax) goes to taxes adn they still owe taxes. Then anything you buy you pay taxes on, anything you own of substantial value you pay property taxes on, and in certain places you might pay a wealth tax on top of that for everything you own of any value. That's how taxes work.
Well, yeah, but that's only because in your telling you aren't calling the $5M in cap gains "income". But it is. $1M paid on $6M net income is... perfectly reasonable. I mean, yeah, some of the other things you listed genuinely do throw off taxes regardless of your income, but your primary example doesn't hold up.

I know the capital gains don't necessarily feel like income if they're just getting reinvested, but they are. If you have to plow your entire salary into servicing the tax liability created by your portfolio, and if you don't want to do that, then you probably need to have a stern conversation with your financial help and tell them they need to be planning for the portfolio to pay its own way from now on and not leeching off your salary. If you do it that way your checking account will be fatter, and your portfolio will grow more slowly; there's no free lunch, just deck chair rearrangement.

But this is pretty seriously off-topic, indeed maybe a mod will move it over to that thread. No charge for the financial advice BTW.