Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wait got......Elongated.

He said at the shareholder meeting that design and engineering will be done this year and hopefully deliveries next year. IMHO that means we're looking at 2025 realistically. Hopefully the Model 3 Performance refresh will have much higher specs to hold us over. I can't get over how huge and not nimble feeling the Model S is so no S Plaid for me. Not to mention all the vibration and other issues.

• Funny
Reactions: Krash and AMPd
Why am I getting legacy auto vibes these days? Im noticing that all the new products, semi, Cybertruck, Roadster, FSD, Highland, 25K car, delivery van, are all taking much longer than anticipated and indeed seem to be proceeding at legacy auto pace.

Maybe that’s just what happens when your production volumes get big?

Reactions: phantasms
To add. I think the reality of the situation is that the battery tech isn't where he thought it would be by now. Even now I don't think they can do 620miles in a package that isn't far too heavy to be fun. The 620 mile number is stupid, we all know it, but a lot of people put a lot of money down on those stats. And, while it sucks we have to wait, it's better to get the proper product.

The roadster isn't the car I want as it's talked about. I don't want or need 620 miles of range. I want 150 miles of real world range in a far lighter and smaller package but with Plaid acceleration.
Same!

….300 miles though :)

I want a model 3 performance with plaid acceleration, cooler bodywork, and removable top. I’d prefer no fancy suspension because I’ll probably rip it out anyways.

The roadster isn't the car I want as it's talked about. I don't want or need 620 miles of range. I want 150 miles of real world range in a far lighter and smaller package but with Plaid acceleration.
They can't really do that. The Plaid power is limited by the batteries. If you half the size of the battery, you'll get half the power. The batteries are already pushed pretty close the limit. They could maybe put in lower capacity but higher current batteries, like power tool batteries, but then you'd lose even more range. They need about 120 kWhr to 150 kWhr to deliver on the performance specs.

My Model Y dual motor is rated for is 326 miles, and when I travel at freeway speeds from 100% charge, I get about 180-200 miles. I'm sure I drive faster than y'all. Still, way, way less than the rating. If I cruised at 75 mph, I think I'd get more like 240, but then I'd get stuck behind some guy going 65 in the left lane. If I want to pass people doing that, the range drops.

Reactions: DarthPierce
My Model Y dual motor is rated for is 326 miles, and when I travel at freeway speeds from 100% charge, I get about 180-200 miles. I'm sure I drive faster than y'all. Still, way, way less than the rating. If I cruised at 75 mph, I think I'd get more like 240, but then I'd get stuck behind some guy going 65 in the left lane. If I want to pass people doing that, the range drops.
Where are you driving that you can average above 80 mph?