Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to have an option to revive the car when needed. Hope this option is up there for a while and not one only for folks that have out deposits in and pull it from those that didn't put $5k up front...

My 1.5 range charges to 221 and I can get 200+ highway. I'll just tie up $29,000 more in Tesla stock and buy the new Roadster in 5 years :D
Wow your battery is in great shape! [emoji3] I assume you are talking about a Range charge. I rarely Range charge. The numbers I stated in my post referred to a Standard charge. My Range charge is about 206 and my Standard is about 160.
And that is another thing that would be wonderful about the new battery: you can do a full or near full charge and not worry about it degrading the battery, just like the S/X battery.
When I need max range in my S, I don't think twice about doing it. With my Roadster I really avoid it, plus driving in Range mode in the Roadster cuts the acceleration power so much it's not even fun to drive. I'm pretty sure the new Roadster battery won't impose such compromises.

It could, that is one of the questions I asked and will report back on.

However, I fear any increased power may be offset by the increased weight. This may end up being a straightforward tradeoff between dollars and range. Which is disappointing, because Musk long ago said that it would "improve several aspects of the car."

Yes, but none of us have anywhere near 245 miles of range anymore.

Don't think I've ever charged to full 100%, but my car is very close to that number. I've got less than 5% degradation I figure.

I also doubt significant improvements in performance. Those *would* be had if they lowered the weight of the pack, though, which is what they should have done.

The price of a Prius

$29K is way over the top 4 a THANK YOU to the origional buyers of the Tesla Roadsters.

A more reasonable price is $10K.
Instead of 245 mile range,the Roadster will top out at approx. 345 mile range,far less than the projected 400 mile range.
Plus a trip to Austin ,Tx from Houston and back, without the ability to use the Super Charger Stations is cause for RANGE Anxiety.
For $29,000 one can buy a Prius, as it stands, we will eventually have an expensive" Paper Weight" when the Roadster batteries fail to maintain a decent charge range.
This is an on going PR problem forTesla, in the future, as the Roadsters begin to loose the ability to charge to a decent range.
The future buying public will look back on Road and Track magazine articles discussing " How Tesla Failed its buyers as the DOWN FALL of Tesla Motors and the Electric Automobile.

The Price of a Prius
icon4.gif

Added weight doesn't just impact the 0-60, it'll also negatively impact the handling (already fairly piggy compared to the much lighter Elise).

I'm glad it's heavier and ludicrously expensive, as it doesn't even approach being a temptation.

What Tesla should do is release the details of design of the battery, PEM and software to the OEM world, to let modifiers take a crack at producing batteries/PEMs that are specifically targeted at durability, or performance.

Well, looking on the bright side, it is less than the US$40k 'friends and family' that battery replacement for the roadster cost just a few years ago.

US$29k is pretty much exactly where I thought it would be. Too $$$ for me, and my current battery seems to be holding up just fine after 4 1/2 years.

As a Model S owner, thinking about the future, this price is...concerning.

It doesn't alarm me, exactly, but it does tend to underline that any total cost of ownership calculations are incomplete if you're just comparing the cost of electricity and gasoline. You also need to add in some sort of per mile/per month calc for the battery.

Not new info, I guess, but something I (and probably a lot of others) have been sort of willfully ignoring.

As a Roadster owner, this price is concerning (though not surprising; we knew rough battery part prices and how much labor was involved). But I don't think a lot of lessons really apply to the Model S. First, the battery is built differently; so Model S batteries cost less even though they are bigger ($25k for an 85kWh currently). Second, the chemistry is different - the Roadster cells were honest-to-goodness off the laptop shelf. Tesla initially suggested a 50k lifetime, which they have ramped up over time. The Model S cells should last at least 200k; for the next decade or so (until battery prices are a smaller percentage of the vehicle price) I don't think very many Model S batteries will be replaced - if you really want more range, it's going to be better in most cases to get a new car, and sell the old one (which will still work fine for somebody else).

But of course the future is always a hard think to predict...