Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've bought from the UK before and it seems that it's usually mentioned whether it includes VAT or not - if it's not mentioned is it always assumed to be included?

Generally yes, if talking about consumer goods. So key psychological points like £9.99 are what are advertised and what a consumer would expect to pay, where the price is really £8.32 + VAT, and this is what will be on your receipt.

Now if it was for something industrial/business/commercial and typically sold business to business then exc. VAT quotes are more common. However even this is unlikely with a car because they have really strict VAT rules compared to say a machine or office supplies. As this is an upgrade not a straight repair, I suspect this puts this into a murky tax area, as VAT is reclaimable by businesses for repairs to cars but not upgrades or accessories over a £100 (if the car can be used by an employee for personal use).

As the email came from the Accessories EU address (which I think is actually UK HQ based) then they should know this.

I followed up with the service centre manager last night. He said that he had contacted them and that my original price was actually a mistake, however Tesla has agreed that anyone who has an email with that lower price quote will have it honoured.

Yesterday I had my Roadster in for PEM fuse replacement at my local Service Center in Burlingame, California. Just picked it up and asked the service manager what he had heard about the 3.0 battery. He said that he has had 3 Roadsters in so far that have had the new 3.0 battery installed in them. After the new battery is installed he has seen up to 340 Ideal Miles displayed.

Do you think that's 340 'standard' miles or in Range Mode?
I regret that I did not ask that question, I just asked if the number he gave me was "Ideal Miles" and he said it was. My guess is that he was giving me a range value for the battery at full charge. My speculation is that the 3.0 battery will be no more sensitive to taking a 100% charge than a Model S battery is, so Roadsters with a 3.0 battery will no longer have a "Standard" or "Range" setting, but simply a sliding charge scale. But that is only my speculation.
Still not one picture ?!?
If that question is directed at me, note that my post did not say I had seen a Roadster with the 3.0 battery installed, only that a Tesla service center manager had told me that his location had installed the 3.0 battery in three different Roadsters.

Do you think that's 340 'standard' miles or in Range Mode?

I'm sure that's the Range mode value. I do believe service centers typically do a full Range mode charge when they install a pack to verify no issues occur during a full charge, the second reason is to help balance the pack. So the 340 could go higher if the pack isn't fully balanced...

I can't help but be skeptical. Not a single Roadster owner has posted anywhere that they've gotten so much as the appointment to have the upgrade much less the installation completed.
My guess is that only a small percentage of Roadster owners post on TMC. I don't know if there are other Roadster forums more active than this one.
I do not think that the service manager I spoke to today was lying to me. After I paid for my PEM fuse replacement I just asked him if he knew of any 3.0 batteries that had been installed. He said his location had done three.
Believe what you want. I believe he was telling the truth.

My post above was a general observation.

I scour various forums, many Facebook groups and of course Twitter and it's all radio silence.

We've had other people report service centres saying they had cars in for an upgrade going back months, yet at the same time others have said the Tesla employees scheduling this stuff told them it's not started yet. Someone isn't being truthful. I get that not everyone feels the need to post on the internet but the claims are multiple cars have had it done and yet not one brag, photo or show of support for Tesla delivering. Strange.

My post above was a general observation.

I scour various forums, many Facebook groups and of course Twitter and it's all radio silence.

We've had other people report service centres saying they had cars in for an upgrade going back months, yet at the same time others have said the Tesla employees scheduling this stuff told them it's not started yet. Someone isn't being truthful. I get that not everyone feels the need to post on the internet but the claims are multiple cars have had it done and yet not one brag, photo or show of support for Tesla delivering. Strange.

Having been one of the first guys that was told directly by a Tesla Service Center that one of the cars that was in for service just received the 3.0 battery upgrade, I also find it strange that there has not been a single member or post of the VDI after upgrade.

I have no reason to believe that the service center was deceiving me when they mentioned that the particular vehicle was upgraded and found it interesting when it was reported that no such cars have been done yet.

Perhaps both are true statements. Perhaps all the upgraded roadsters at service centers have been primarily Tesla owned ones?

Hm. That's a seriously interesting theory - that CA service centers have done the upgrade, but on Tesla owned Roadsters (or hush-hush to certain owners) while they confirm the procedure and test the upgrade. That's entirely possible. And reasonable. And the more I think about it, probable. In fact, it's definitely what's happening. Guaranteed.