Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm... yeah.... I'll stick with the stock rear window setup personally.

800px-Yokohama_Aero-Y_rear_2013_Tokyo_Auto_Salon.jpg

The Exige already has a fastback design on this platform. I don't follow the Lotus scene, but it's not hard to picture what a hatchback Roadster might look like.

cce79a834dacfc922122294c1d98f822.jpg

I suspect engineering a new clamshell to accommodate a hatch would be very straightforward, though that's not the same as "cheap."

The Exige already has a fastback design on this platform. I don't follow the Lotus scene, but it's not hard to picture what a hatchback Roadster might look like.

I suspect engineering a new clamshell to accommodate a hatch would be very straightforward, though that's not the same as "cheap."

That's the "not for sale in the US" Series 3 Exige. It's significantly wider and longer than the Roadster (Europa S/ Elise / VX220). Pictures of it in isolation don't quite show how much it has grown. The horizontal distance from the roll over hoop to the tail-lights is probably around 1 foot longer, making the glass a much shallower angle.

This is probably more representative of what a fast back Roadster would like in terms of proportions:
Lotus_Europa_S_Heckansicht.JPG

One neat trick the roadster has over all the other Elise variants is the way the clam shell lifts up. As a long time Lotus owner I really wished I could have that feature, but it does add some complexity in this context given the additional weight if you start adding glass. Like you say, not earth shatteringly complicated technically, but more and more in the cost pile.

Personally I think a simple Lexan screen that could be mounted to the inside of the buttresses, using discrete fixings (or maybe even suction cups!) would be the most straightforward. Potentially even with some hinges, that way you could stow it in the trunk, after you've done your long drive and restore the car to it's factory look.

Now I sorely would like a Roadster, and the 3.0 range promises would help a little, however recently seeing some other threads around CHAdeMO adapters for the Roadster, actually I think this would be the key thing to get me out of my Lotus.

Maybe I have a strange usage pattern, as I commute in my S, but use the Lotus for long distance touring over the summer vacations. The Lotus only has a 200 mile range, but it's the ubiquity of "charging" that makes it viable.

The real irony of this thread, and the ensuing delays, is it looks like a third party is going to offer a far more useful 3.0 upgrade (access to a viable charging network) than Tesla themselves for a fraction of the cost, available sooner, and with a published delivery date.

Anyway I look forward to the day I can drive a Roadster to places like this:
Offroad.jpg

I still don't get that we hear all these rumours of people getting 3.0 upgrades and not one peep from an actual owner online.

As for aero mods, there was a guy here from the UK (FR55 PWR plate) that did them himself. Very subtle and large range increase. He sold the car now.

I still don't get that we hear all these rumours of people getting 3.0 upgrades and not one peep from an actual owner online.

Yes, so to ask about the status I replied yesterday to the email I received after putting down my deposit last October:

Can you give me any information on what the queue for these Roadster 3.0 upgrades looks like and when my car might be done?

Also, the last information I heard about the change to a new tire for improved mileage (as part of the original 3.0 upgrade idea) was that it would be specified by the end of 2015. I am anxiously awaiting this information because I need new tires and we are experiencing rain.

The response was:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. The 3.0 battery retrofits for the Tesla Roadster have not begun yet. The Service Center will contact you as soon as parts are received, in order to schedule a service appointment for the 3.0 Battery upgrade. Unfortunately, we are still waiting for more information regarding the tire upgrade.

We apologize we do not have a firm start date or additional information to provide.

The message was signed by Laura, but I don't know if that is the same Laura about whom there were posts here earlier when she was calling owners to survey regarding the 3.0 upgrade.

Just been quoted £26500 for the 3.0 upgrade.

When I pointed out that I was previously quoted £19000 back in September, I was told that is the price of the pack but the fitting and other changes (internal PEM change etc) brings it up to £26,500. I guess that is $40000.

When I pointed out that I was previously quoted £19000 back in September, I was told that is the price of the pack but the fitting and other changes (internal PEM change etc) brings it up to £26,500. I guess that is $40000.
Sorry to hear the the UK price is so much higher than the US priced. As far as I know, the total US price is $29,000 as per this page Tesla Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade
I'm still waiting to hear from Tesla as to when I will get the 3.0 battery installed. Have paid the deposit. But I'm not in any hurry.

This isn't exchange rate movement related is it? In September GBP was much stronger (though more like £2k not £7.5k of movement)

Still it doesn't fit with the advert in Tesla's shop :(

The price of the battery upgrade is $29,000, including all labor and logistics, which is equal to Tesla's expected cost. It is not our intention to make a profit on the battery pack. The reason the cost per kWh is higher than a Model S battery is due to the almost entirely hand-built, low-volume (only 2 or 3 per week) nature of Roadster battery packs.It also includes additional work to remove, upgrade, and reinstall the power electronics module (PEM.)

I Hope they aren't just pricing the UK out of the upgrade route because it's too hard to do logistically.

My original figure was from a telephone call. That was in line with a direct exchange of $29000.

A few days later on the 5th of September it was followed up with an email from Accessories EU that stated

The price for the upgrade will be approximately £20.800,- and you do not need to pay a deposit. The warranty on the 3.0 Battery is three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Note this does not state "battery pack" but upgrade. The only possible explanation is they have left off VAT and a slight currency fluctuation.

Still waiting too for my 3.0 upgrade especially with my battery fault light being on steady now for over a year. In the meantime with the promise of the 3.0 upgrade sometime in the future I have upgraded my suspension to the adjustable kind, spent $900 fixing the lighting on the A/C console and added carbon fiber door sills. My Roadster is now ready for the new battery to complete its midlife improvements.

Ship the car to the US for the swap, and save $10k :biggrin:
Because £26.5k is just over the top. I will never pay that much..
You can buy a new Mercedes B electric (with Tesla drivetrain), fully loaded, for less..
Or half a Model S..

US$29,000 plus 20% VAT, and today's exchange rate, is around GBP24,500. Seems like they've got some buffer on that (GBP2,000) for shipping and/or exchange fluctuations?

Indeed, but I was quoted £20800 all in before and they should not give a non-VAT quote.
In their defense, in the US prices are always quoted pre-tax, as we don't have the standard VAT type situation, and every city, county, state, etc. has a different tax rate.

I've bought from the UK before and it seems that it's usually mentioned whether it includes VAT or not - if it's not mentioned is it always assumed to be included?