Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service manager I spoke with did not specifically say whether the three Roadsters his location has upgraded to the 3.0 batteries were privately owned or not. But seriously, I do not think it at all likely that the three cars were owned by Tesla. That makes no sense. It's a service center in Burlingame, California. They don't have three Roadsters onsite to loan out; they don't even have one! Clearly the three Roadsters referred to were owned by customers. Privately owned.

The service manager I spoke with did not specifically say whether the three Roadsters his location has upgraded to the 3.0 batteries were privately owned or not. But seriously, I do not think it at all likely that the three cars were owned by Tesla. That makes no sense. It's a service center in Burlingame, California. They don't have three Roadsters onsite to loan out; they don't even have one! Clearly the three Roadsters referred to were owned by customers. Privately owned.
We can agree that the upgrade had to be theorized, created, kinks worked out, tested, and an install procedure written and created, on actual Roadsters. So it's entirely possible that either Tesla owns a bunch of them, or they have done the upgrade on customer cars at no/reduced rate or with an NDA, something like that. They didn't do this all in CAD with no real-world installs, right?

Hm. That's a seriously interesting theory - that CA service centers have done the upgrade, but on Tesla owned Roadsters (or hush-hush to certain owners) while they confirm the procedure and test the upgrade. That's entirely possible. And reasonable. And the more I think about it, probable. In fact, it's definitely what's happening. Guaranteed.

How many Roadsters do Elon, J.B., and the rest of the top of the org chart own these days? I'm guessing three. :biggrin:

But I must admit, 3.0 is much more of "I want it" than "I need it" at this point in time for me. So it's not really a bad thing that they are forcing me to wait, since it would have been the sensible thing for me to do anyway. Though I now expect I will get the "you can upgrade to 3.0" notification on the same day as the "your Model X is ready for delivery" notification, so they can clean out my bank account all at once.

As the email came from the Accessories EU address (which I think is actually UK HQ based) then they should know this.

I followed up with the service centre manager last night. He said that he had contacted them and that my original price was actually a mistake, however Tesla has agreed that anyone who has an email with that lower price quote will have it honoured.
i had the original email and asked whether it included VAT.

i was told by email it did and on that basis placed my order.

it took 3 weeks but they sensibly decided to honour it. They are being consistent with others who had a written quote saying that although it now sounds to have been an error.

the problem with having prices set in Fremont for a business in the UK!

Well, in the US I think that anyone who is outside California also has to pay sales tax (VAT) so in that respect it isn't any different. It doesn't excuse the local staff from knowing that should be clearly stated when they write the quote.

Glad to hear they honoured it for you.

Well, in the US I think that anyone who is outside California also has to pay sales tax (VAT) so in that respect it isn't any different. It doesn't excuse the local staff from knowing that should be clearly stated when they write the quote.

Glad to hear they honoured it for you.
In California, parts are charged sales tax and labor is not. So, final invoices will have to have some assignment of the total cost to parts and some to labor. The main difference between US and UK is that in US, nobody assumes that stated prices ever include sales tax.

In California, parts are charged sales tax and labor is not. So, final invoices will have to have some assignment of the total cost to parts and some to labor. The main difference between US and UK is that in US, nobody assumes that stated prices ever include sales tax.
In the UK, it is a legal requirement to state the final price, not a tax exclusive price, unless it is clear that the transaction is business to business.

consumers therefore should never need to ask whether something includes VAT.

I was one of the very first orders. I publicly confirm that I have neither an NDA nor a bigger battery, yet. One of my contacts at Tesla said something like "engineering resources are focused on something else at the moment."
I placed my order the day (or maybe the day after) the 3.0 battery showed up in the Tesla online store. Because I have a 1.5 my order was cancelled by Tesla about 2 weeks later but it was later reinstated and I was told my "place in line" remained the same as it was when I first placed my order. So I think I'm close to the top but really have no idea.