Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking forward to having my pack under some type of warranty again!!!

That is what I will be watching most closely, too.

Sure, I would like a faster car with more range, but frankly what I have is both fast enough and goes far enough, and I have already put more money in to this thing than I really wanted to. A good warranty - like, say, the 8-year unlimited mile deal they do for Model S batteries - would be the enormous value proposition for me. Especially since I have already had a $4,000 failure in my pack. And extended warranties are not available in my state.

However, I think all Tesla add-ons so far have only had a 1-year warranty. So we shall see.

About a week ago, Cathy and I drove our Roadster 201.5 miles on a single range mode charge: 60 mph in 95+ degree weather with the A/C going on low the entire way. At the end, it said 8% and 18 ideal miles, but warned the energy estimate was uncertain at that SOC level. Our CAC is 147.80.

If we lose much more capacity, we'll have to stop at an RV park to charge in the middle. Fortunately, we don't do that drive very often.

I'm more than willing to wait for a new battery - maybe a few more years and the battery capacity will even be better allowing even greater range or reduced weight. Don't have a clue as to my CAC is but I range charged this past weekend to 230 IM using 24/240. I can easily get 1+ actual mile per IM at 60mph. With the AC on medium my usage is about 240 wh at 60mph. The battery is 5 years old with 21k miles.

After many months of staying away from this thread 'cause I was waiting.

I just clicked back on this thread, 'cause I was just thinking what @PokerBroker just posted.

"End of Summer" was the Elon quote...

If I remember correctly, he also tweeted 'August' at some point.

My service center didn't have any extra information for me on the upgrade other than what's in the blog, when I visited them this week.

On the 7/17 press call they specifically stated it would be available for installation by the end of August.

Thanks, I actually missed that one.:redface: For those like me, at 5:35, from Nikki at Transport Evolved early in the Q&A (thanks, Nikki, for asking!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ThrNtJm7ko

Really like to think we should get some kind of info soon on specs, pricing, etc. very soon if safety validation is nearly complete.

Key questions I keep coming back to in my head:
- can I get just part of the 3.0, a la carte? (e.g., forego the aero if it changes the look of a now classic car?)
- is there any credit for trading in an old pack in good condition?
- what does the warranty look like?
- are any other changes needed (e.g., sport suspension for weight or other reasons)?

Looking forward - hope there's something for everyone.:smile:

Yes sure only in return there was also a marked for 2.25 back in the days. Still funny that we don't know what the changes are going to be. Could be that there are mainly improvements to the underbody to improve the airflow underneath and wheel wells etc and still everybody says lager pack. When I bought the car shortly after the 2.5 came out and yes the my car looked a bit like out dated. I do like the looks of my car and yes maybe like to keep it that way as the original look. When there would be small body changes/additions that would improve the range I think I would consider that for sure.

Yes sure only in return there was also a marked for 2.25 back in the days. Still funny that we don't know what the changes are going to be. Could be that there are mainly improvements to the underbody to improve the airflow underneath and wheel wells etc and still everybody says lager pack. When I bought the car shortly after the 2.5 came out and yes the my car looked a bit like out dated. I do like the looks of my car and yes maybe like to keep it that way as the original look. When there would be small body changes/additions that would improve the range I think I would consider that for sure.

I think we all will consider if the changes to the car are minor & the car can be returned to OEM state.

I hope that the changes include a redesigned PEM for better cooling and less debris being sucked into the PEM and motor. If Tesla did that, it would be worth the upgrade alone.

I listened to the 7-17-2015 press conference and what Elon said about the Roadster 3.0 battery pack was that the safety validation should be complete late this month (July 2015) or early next (August 2015) and if all goes well deliveries should start late next month, which would be August 2015 - if all goes well.

Last edited: