Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was called as well.
My battery is within 5% of new, and without any credit for that, I'm not interested in the upgrade for $29K.
Until there is new data, I still think it is likely that they want good batteries returned so they can make replacement packs out of them for the 1.5s.

I would love to get the upgrade but just cant afford it.
Need to start a savings plan and hope the upgrade lasts for awhile.

Right, that's a big chunk of change and easily part of some childs future school tuition fund that people might be dipping into. I bought my Roadster to support the EV vision and to support Tesla. I also was a believer that EVs could evolve with technology, for example battery technology, and that with time this technology will get better and cheaper over time. But that's not the case here with the Roadster unfortunately, especially with the 1.5 battery upgrade path or possibly lack of it.

The communication about the 1.5 battery upgrade by Tesla reminds me of this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course there's no interest, it offers almost no practical benefit for tremendous cost. Make it have more benefit and less cost (ie lighter pack) and then you'll see interest. Plus don't lie to 20% of your customers for two years before you offer it...

By the time they will really start building the new batteries, there will be more people that saved up / convinced the misses / or just need it.
My guess is we'll see the first ones in Q2 2016 or later. In the US that is. At a rate of 2 batteries / week.

ChadS , very nice movie plot !
I really enjoyed reading it.
but please add a happy ending .... :)

Agree with you on the entertaining movie plot by ChadS, and especially agree with you that this needs a happy ending - however unlikely this maybe :)

Roadster 1.5 owners got together at the Fremont Tesla plant to politely ask for 3.0 upgrade. Enough Roadsters from far enough can't get back and need a full charge there before leaving the Plant. Unfortunately, there is not sufficient charging points there and not charging fast enough that many V1.5s are stranded there, illustrating the point of the need for the V3.0 upgrade. Maybe the sight of hundreds of V1.5s lined up at the plant would be sufficient to prompt Tesla to have a change of heart to offer the V4.5 upgrade (3.0 + 1.5 - strictly my pipe dream, don't want to start a rumor!) - 400 miles range with new PEM and various hardware that competes favorably with Porsche's Mission E 800-Volt fast charge.

We can dream, I suppose. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy my daily commute with my V1.5, till either the new Roadster, the new Mission E, or the V3.0 or even V4.5 becomes reality.

I imagine many V1.5 owners are really disappointed with the V3.0 shut-out. Wonder how many are there in total?

IF the weight penalty is not too great and IF they don't put some limits on it the larger pack should allow some improvement in acceleration by reducing voltage sag. It probably won't improve off the line acceleration but should allow full torque to a higher speed.

I heard from my Tesla informant that Tesla has been working on changes to allow the Roadster 1.5 to use the new 3.0 Battery.

Hoping your informant is correct.

And all that was needed was a one line announcement, email, or tweet to say "Not available for the 1.5 yet, but we are working on it and plan to have it for them someday" and several weeks of angst, and some ill-will, would have been avoided.

Love you Tesla, but your communication is still such a glaring weak point.