Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping your informant is correct.

And all that was needed was a one line announcement, email, or tweet to say "Not available for the 1.5 yet, but we are working on it and plan to have it for them someday" and several weeks of angst, and some ill-will, would have been avoided.

Love you Tesla, but your communication is still such a glaring weak point.

Exactly. So many times where good communication would be great for the company, great for customers, instead of a cluster. Here's hoping that the first people to support Tesla can get their 3.0 batteries (if they want).

Exactly. So many times where good communication would be great for the company, great for customers, instead of a cluster. Here's hoping that the first people to support Tesla can get their 3.0 batteries (if they want).

The early adopters definitely deserve all the respect that Tesla can give. (I am 3rd owner of #19, so don't count myself in their group).

Today, 10-12-15 @ 4:41PM CST, (Roaster 2.5, vin #1125), I received a call from a Tesla Rep. named Laura, phone # x-xxx-xxx-xxxx, who said she was doing a survey on Roadster owners opinions o the 3.0 battery upgrade being offered.
She stated she had called or was going to call approx. 498 Roadster owners to get their thoughts on the battery upgrade.
I referred her to the Tesla Motor Club to read comments on this subject of how Tesla and Elon Musk failed the 1.5 early Roadster owners who placed their deposit down, only to find out later that the 1.5 Roadsters do not qualify.
I commented on the $29K price tag and how the upgrade was the nice surprise Elon Musk referred to as a way of thanking the Roadsters owners who supported Tesla in the early days, was overpriced and a disappointment. I also pointed out the shortfalls of the 3.0 upgrade, no information was given on brand/type of tires or bearings as part of the upgrade and that the 400 mile range fell short at approx. 320-340 mile range.
Therefore Roadster owners still have "Range Anxiety", since Tesla failed to install HP70AMP charging connections at each Super Charging Station.
I explained to her that we all love our Roadsters, but the range restraints imposed on us sucks. I went on to explain to her that I cannot drive from Houston Texas to Ustin or to Dallas, a drive of 3-4 hours due to the inability to charge at a facility higher than a level 2 public charging station, thus an 8 hr drive.
I would recommend each Roadster owner to call Laura (x-xxx-xxx-xxxx) with their comments concerning the 3.0 battery upgrade and inability to charge using 70 amp at Super Charging Stations. I suggested to her, my hopes were to get approx. 30 Tesla Roadsters, all to arrive at a Super Charger Station, then call for tow-trucks to arrive as News teams report on the story of how Roadsters were excluded at Super Charging Stations. Therefore we still have range anxiety.
I referred to my Roadster as one day becoming an expensive Paper Weight as the batteries fail to charge, thus the legacy of the Tesla Roadster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did she give permission for you to post her phone number?

And sorry that you can't drive to Dallas or wherever ... were you able to do that when you bought your Roadster? Personally I'd prefer you not think you were speaking for Roadster owners (as you seem to indicate a few times in your post) and only speak for yourself.

I also received a call from Laura, for the same Roadster survey that she's conducting. I didn't beat her up quite as bad as Dean appears to have (not saying I disagree with your points), but I did very clearly tell her why I have no desire to upgrade. Too expensive, and I already have 2x the range I need so what's the point? Also noted that there was quite a bit missing as compared to how Elon advertised the upgrade package.

Well, I hope I get this call, because you don't speak for me either. I was not at all surprised by the 29k pricetag, in fact it seemed a bit lower than I expected (and I've been saying this all along, that it would be 30-40k, and nobody believed me). But it's still a lot of money for me to pay for literally nothing. There is no way in which a bigger, heavier battery appeals to me. Make it lighter, put less cells in it, and make it cheaper. Then the car's performance actually improves instead of gets worse, and still has all the same utility it had before, instead of a bunch of extra utility which very few people need or can even use. Supercharging would be nice and I'm not convinced it's technically impossible, though I understand that it would be a very difficult matter which would require a significant overhaul of the charging system (which differs between the 1.5/2.x anyway, as I understand it) and thus am not expecting it. I didn't buy the car expecting supercharging so to think that this car will be a "paper weight" because it doesn't have something that nobody had heard about until 6 years after the car was released is silly.

Also, range anxiety isn't a thing. I have no idea why you use those words because they mean nothing.

The one thing which I think we can all agree with you on, Dean, is the fact that they spent years talking about this "upgrade" and then only after releasing it and taking deposits did they let us know that 20% of owners are excluded from it. That is an extremely amateur move and Tesla deserves all sorts of flak for it.

Got a call as well. Very nice person. I also explained that the cost was kind of high and I would be holding off at the moment she then said that the battery pack upgrade would be around long term so there was no rush. Asked about the 1.5 and they are well aware. Unfortunately doesn't look like it's going to happen at the moment

Just to clarify my comments on supercharging which some of U misread, my comment was to have a 70 AMP HPC installed at each of the supercharging stations "NOT to Charge as a Model S would at the supercharger station with the new charging method.
Also Elon MusK was the first person to Term the expression " Range Anxiety" in the speaking on the Model S experience.
I also referred the Tesla Rep. to the Tesla Motor Club to read for her self the comments so many of U were expressing about the 3.0 battery upgrade.
And the "WE " is in reference to many of us who expressed our thoughts and concerns on the Tesla forum concerning not having a 70 AMP charging connection available at the supercharger stations.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. to Doug and Bonnie, Yes she did OK me in our conversation to post her number,she is doing a survey of the Roadster owners and is hoping to contact all individuals concerning this subject, although she has a limited number of contacts with phone numbers as she stated.
So I referred her to the Tesla Motors Club website and offered to post our conversation and number
She is compiling information to pass on to Tesla , which hopefully will help all of us.
So delete the number if U wish, but U are defeating her mission to inquire.

Mod Note: There may have been some miscommunication. It is our understanding that she did not authorize publishing her number on the forum. (Perhaps she meant it was okay to pass directly to other Roadster owners.)

Though @Dean412 doesn't speak for me as well. I hope that Tesla just contacts all the owners. As mentioned previously, I would love to talk to her or to fill out a web survey on this.

Where I do agree with @Dean412 is the addition of HPC 70 amp as part of the SC roll-out. Aside from Harris Ranch (which was an existing HPC location prior to being a Supercharger location) and I think the location at Atascadero (though the HPWC was changed to a J1772 connector, it's still a 70A charger).

You can see a Lightning Green Roadster charging in the picture (from this past Saturday, anyone here?)

22070481926_1121ae2e74_c.jpgIMG_20151010_175149 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Besides, the Site Sponsor in Barstow (the Barstow Station McDonald's a few miles away from the Lenwood/Barstow Supercharger) removed their HPC on that route and Tesla could have stepped in like they did for Harris Ranch.

Just to clarify my comments on supercharging which some of U misread, my comment was to have a 70 AMP HPC installed at each of the supercharging stations "NOT to Charge as a Model S would at the supercharger station with the new charging method.
Also Elon MusK was the first person to Term the expression " Range Anxiety" in the speaking on the Model S experience.
I also referred the Tesla Rep. to the Tesla Motor Club to read for her self the comments so many of U were expressing about the 3.0 battery upgrade.
And the "WE " is in reference to many of us who expressed our thoughts and concerns on the Tesla forum concerning not having a 70 AMP charging connection available at the supercharger stations.

We have destination chargers that, with the CAN SR, have made it possible for me to do even more roadtrips. That removed any lingering angst I might have had at not having 70amp at Supercharger spots. Tesla upgraded Roadster software to recognize an 80amp pilot signal (vs. 70amp) - if they hadn't done that, we wouldn't be able to use a lot of those HPWCs.

You pull a stunt like having tow trucks show up at a Supercharger location & yep, you'll get publicity. Negative publicity. I guarantee there will be more than one article about entitled Roadster owners throwing a fit over not getting something they were never promised. And then you hurt all of us.

I guess what I don't understand is your anger over all this when NONE of what you're demanding was promised when you bought your Roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

Also note that when the Harris Ranch HPC was unexpectedly removed a year ago, right before a 3-day weekend, I contacted Tesla and they had it up and running within 24 hours. I couldn't have asked for a better 'ass on fire' response. You start pulling stunts over charging and I wouldn't blame them a bit if we got a different response in the future.

They clearly recognize the importance of our charging network.

I too would love HPWCs at each Supercharger but calling tow trucks in a stunt for the cameras is uncalled for. Tesla never promised them anyway. If there is a location you really need one get a few owners together and donate one. There are far more charging options in Austin now than 4 years ago. The Tesla Gallery for one has HPWCs if you have the Can adapter.

I did call Laura at the number Dean412 posted (*********) and while she is working through a list she said she is happy and willing to field calls from Roadster owners. So if you are a 1.5 owner I would suggest you call and (hopefully) express your disappointment in lack of communication and a battery upgrade path. While she had little information she could pass on; she did say 1.5 owners would be supported, but had no idea how or what the price might be. She is compiling a list of the concerns and it should that this may be one of the best avenues for a change.

I informed her that in the more than 100 car shows and conferences I have gone to promoting EV's, the most common questions are: how long will the battery last and how much to replace it? I normally give the Leaf price as if I quoted the Tesla price of $40k that is a non-starter for 99.9% of the people.

On the other topic being discussed I agree Tesla missed a great PR opportunity by not installing a HPWC at super charger locations. They could have marked up Henry Sharp's SRCAN and I think most of us would have been willing to fund Tesla's cost to do this. It would show a win by supporting Roadster owners and it would help Model S owners who may park there longer than just a quick super charge as I have heard several stories of a Model S owner going for a movie and/or dinner blocking a space for hours.

I will give Laura a call and express my disappointment and frustration with the lack of communication on future plans for supporting 1.5 batteries. And will let her know that I was definitely in line for the battery upgrade until we found out not available for 1.5's. Though with all the money I saved not buying 3.0, Kermit will be getting a makeover to Lightning Green with all the exterior carbon fiber. :smile: