Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
efficient point to improve the range, should be also discussed with some tire producers and seperate threats available
4) Aero kit: most sophisticated issue, should be analysed with Car/Aero Designers plus Tuning firms already experienced with the Tesla Roadster...

Nothing to wait for:
1) Brakes: has to be discussed with the brakes producer directly, Tesla announced 2013 new brakes to me ...
2) Wheel bearings: I will find out the producer to ask if the Industry offers improvements worth to follow up
3) Tires: For shure the easiest and most efdicient
Numbers 1 and 2 could potentially be done by us. #3, no way. The front tire size of the Roadster is very rare. We (and I suspect Tesla) will have a very hard time convincing a manufacturer to create a new tire for a VERY limited market. IMO very few Roadster owners would buy such a tire as the grip/traction is guaranteed to suck. So they would be lucky to sell a few sets/year. That isn't interesting to any manufacturer.

Tesla could MAYBE talk Continental or someone into doing it if they made it part of the Model S/X/3 OEM negotiation.

Cross posting this newly listed Hawaiian R80 (#660) from the Orphan thread here for further discussion.
00v0v_9pwRlomI96z_600x450.jpg

Do we have a new range champion here?

I don't think there are any such companies.

There was one company offering and separately one owner in the UK that did a lot of aero work and got substantial range improvements without ruining the look of the car. So it can be achieved.

Reactions: Mark77a
There was one company offering and separately one owner in the UK that did a lot of aero work and got substantial range improvements without ruining the look of the car. So it can be achieved.
I heard that PV4EV sold his Roadster. Is that true? What are the chances that he would share with us the aero improvements that he made? I was always hoping he would show us everything he did to get almost 20% improvement in range. If Tesla's not going to do it we should at least be able to do it ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
I heard that PV4EV sold his Roadster. Is that true? What are the chances that he would share with us the aero improvements that he made? I was always hoping he would show us everything he did to get almost 20% improvement in range. If Tesla's not going to do it we should at least be able to do it ourselves.

yes @PV4EV did A LOT of R&D work on aero and achieved some amazing results.
Even cherry picking the best ones (special tyres and simple aero) gives significant results.
I've been in contact with him, and yes indeed he has sold the car, but seems reluctant to let me share the basic details I have, if not the whole body of research :cool: . I hope @PV4EV will share his work one day.

I plan to make a simple design to do the1 simple aero mod, which accounts iirc from discussions, for about 1/2 the results. The other 1/2 are several smaller mods that add up to 1/2 .. these are rather more involved but still non-permanent. I plan to have a play with a simple design this summer and if it works I will post results.

In the meantime see @PV4EV's posts .. I think he stopped adding details because some 'armchair engineers' were dismissive. ...
Roadster 3.0

But with enough encouragement he might share the valuable and meticulous research with the more enthusiastic, and grateful of us. .. Go, on @PV4EV please do :) :D

Reactions: dhrivnak
So...I made a 'deal' with my wife ('deal' as in I told her and maybe it will stick) that I was going to buy the 3.0 upgrade if bitcoin hits $2,000. Well, it's closing in on $1,800 and I'm getting pretty excited about the possibility of pulling the trigger.

My 2010 Roadster still has a 210 mile ideal range so I don't feel any screaming emergency to get the upgrade. Nor do I necessarily want to start taking 350 mile trips in my car any time soon (I try to watch my mileage in general).

However, my concern is I don't know how long the 3.0 upgrade will necessarily be available. Then again, if I wait, and it remains available, by the time I 'need it', there could be improvements in the battery technology by then.

Since the bitcoin is largely 'found money' at this point, it helps make the decision to pull the trigger a little bit easier. I'm also hoping that the 3.0 upgrade will increase the value of my car by at least 20k, which takes some of the sting out of it. Maybe. That may just be rationalizing too.

Regarding tires lot of experience to find in other Threads about optimizing the performance but not the range, even most of wheel producers tested before! I will analyse in detail and summarize their conclusion very soon. About wheel bearing a discussion with the Industry is requested and I will follow up because in my Wind Turbine Business I am involved anyhow and forced to improve. But existing very individual aero upgrades hard to find any facts/resulting range numbers, hopefully we receive feedback from the few innovators they didnt fear to fail at all, let's see.

General question beside the 3.0 (R80) range issue:

Nobody like to share his conclusion about the acceleration resulting from the higher battery weight especially after several months burning rubber instead of oil, would you upgrade again?

This week my 2011 Roadster (VIN 277) was upgraded to the 3.0 battery following a prior PEM failure and then the battery turning up at the same time. The mileage at time of replacement was 72k, and the ideal range showing at 160 (range charged to 190) and actual at normal driving speeds about 140 miles. CAC was 135.7

image2.JPG Next to a shiny X at Gatwick SC post install. :cool:

I traded in my battery replacement agreement (courtesy of the original owner), which reduced the overall cost to $6000 which seems a good deal :D

The order has taken 9 months from placing in September to delivery this month, though accelerated I think by the PEM failure.

The new battery is showing 340 miles on Range charge, a CAC of 214.5 and achieving real world range of over 280 miles so far (driven at 70mph plus on the highway). The acceleration seems unchanged and power uptake seems smoother at the top end. The PEM and Motor temps show higher than before, but will need to monitor to determine if weather based (temperatures here in the mid 20'c this week) or due to new battery.

image1.JPG Second range charge

Tesla are saying that the re-manufactured PEM (my fourth o_O) has a 12 month warranty, and new battery has a 3 year warranty.:)

Also intend to get the Roadster on a weighbridge to see what the new mass is like vs. the original one.

Perfect timing for the unusually glorious May weather in the UK.

I had a drive of Kerios' Roadster as soon as it was at work yesterday.

If there is an increase in weight, I could not feel it. That was with just me in the car throwing it around some tight corners and roundabouts / traffic circles. I also did a standing start 0-60 in performance mode and couldn't subjectively tell any difference in time, however I would say the power delivery in normal driving feels smoother compared to mine but I hadn't driven this car in pre-3.0 guise.

The weight was a big concern for me when it came up on this thread but I needn't have worried.

So as luck would have it, Tesla somehow confused my 2015 price enquiry with an order. I had an email out of the blue last week telling me that my 3.0 battery was in the SC ready for installing.

Unlike some I didn't get the BRA with my car. After a week of man maths trying to justify it and dithering, I was coming to the conclusion that I would take it, on the basis that we can't be sure how long they will keep the offer available. As my granddad says "you're sure of this but you're not sure of the next" (I have no idea what he's taking about o_O). Driving Kerios' car was the clincher, especially seeing 307 miles on the display knowing that he'd already done multiple trips of 15 miles up and down the A34 already. I called Tesla as soon as I stepped out.

So either that battery getting made was a happy accident or a genius sales tactic. The Model 3 fund is going on it.

By the way if you live in Berlin and thought you were about to get your upgrade early: Sorry.

I went on line and put a $5K deposit down for the new battery 5/21 and received a notice that Tesla received the money--but no response as to the waiting time. I sent Tesla an email last week--no response. Any idea as to how to find the wait time? My local service center in Santa Barbara told me the new battery would be installed in LA as that work isn't done here.

For those of you with the 3.0 battery installed - if you don't mind me asking - what forms of payment is Tesla accepting for final balance due?

More specifically, are they taking credit cards for the remaining $24,000? If I go this route, it'd be nice to rack up some points or cash back, but I'm not sure if Tesla is willing to take the CC percentage fee on a transaction that amount.

If not, I'm guessing it's direct bank transfer, personal check, or cashier's check only?

Just curious. I need to plan accordingly if I go this route.