Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
265 is so far off that maybe you're looking at estimated miles or something.

Definitely not estimated miles.

My CAC is 205 by the way, a lot less than others here have reported when new. I'm presuming that some balancing / recalculation needs to happen but that is way off.

When I looked just now after sitting for day it has dropped to 81%.

Screenshot_2017-06-23-07-16-29-1.png

Last edited:
My CAC is 205 by the way, a lot less than others here have reported when new. I'm presuming that some balancing / recalculation needs to happen but that is way off.

It still seems low. My CAC is around 197, and when I recently did a range mode charge and then set it to standard mode it was at 285.

Maybe it really is out of balance, in which case you could try range charging it and letting it sit plugged in at full charge for a while.

It still seems low. My CAC is around 197, and when I recently did a range mode charge and then set it to standard mode it was at 285.

Maybe it really is out of balance, in which case you could try range charging it and letting it sit plugged in at full charge for a while.

I did a range charge on Saturday morning but wasn't able to fully charge before I had to unplug and go. Nevertheless the balance grid was all 0s. When I checked CAC again later it was down to 204.6.

Wondering if I should reject this battery as it seems to be 10 points below everyone else.

I did a range charge on Saturday morning but wasn't able to fully charge before I had to unplug and go. Nevertheless the balance grid was all 0s.

The balancing grid is always all 0s when the car is either charging or unplugged. It only balances when it's done charging (standard or range, but much more with range). So, the procedure you described will not do any balancing at all.

When I got my second 2.0 battery it was badly out of balance, and it took about a week of range charging every night and letting it sit to get it into balance (as verified by when the grid switched to 0s and stayed that way). I still suspect that this is your problem; it may have been a while since the battery was manufactured in the US and when it was skipped to the UK and installed, and it may have gotten very much unbalanced in that time.

At the very least, it probably won't hurt much to try. Doing a few range charges isn't the end of the world, you just don't want to do them all the time. And if it turns out that your battery really is damaged, then you'll wind up with a new one and what you did to the old won't matter at all.

• Informative
Reactions: dpeilow
To add my experience following 3.0 upgrade (and PEM replacement for the fourth time), my original CAC was ~135 giving a range of about 160 miles on standard charge (77k miles on the clock), following 3.0 fit, I initially saw a CAC of 214.5, now it's down 209.1 after about a month. Performance is as good as it was before (@dpeilow says mine feels smoother - I have no reference to comment), and standard charge is giving me about 200 miles if I am mostly good, 180 if I floor it. :)

Range charge shows about 330 to 340, and having only done two range charged thus far, I've got 315 miles before getting a power limitation warning - I'm guessing I could get another 20 miles but it scares me... :eek:

I'm definitely seeing higher PEM and Motor temps post upgrade nothing serious but it's running hotter than before.

I'll upload my logs to the other thread when I get a moment.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm definitely seeing higher PEM and Motor temps post upgrade nothing serious but it's running hotter than before.
Is it the extra weight, or something else going on (e.g. an install problem where they didn't seal the ducting correctly, or seat a connector fully)? I wouldn't think a larger battery capacity in itself should affect the motor temp.

I'm still sitting on the fence on the upgrade. First is was the CAC droop, now this (especially since the summer temps here are 100 F)... Somebody, please push me.

I have not seen higher temps on my 1.5 -> 3.0 in casual observations, but I'd need to look at log files to see if there really was a change. The difficulty with that is factoring out weather. Perhaps looking at the difference from ambient would work.

Wondering if there is any consensus on how best to place the R80 badge on a Roadster Sport? Searched and scanned through this thread but couldn't see many photos (or any with the sport badging and the R80 badge). A decision I am going to have to make shortly, so any photos/thoughts/advice very welcome.

When they put on my R80 badge, they used the same template (paper cutout) they used for the Sport badge. But it is only a cutout, and can easily be flipped over and taped to the left side rather than the right...
Thanks. Yes, that sounds like the way forward: keep the sport badging on the right, and add the R80 badge to the left. is that how you addressed this? Do you have a picture (or has anyone seen any picture of what this looks like on the car itself)?