Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who want to dig deeper into the data from my 1,200+ mile road trip, go here:
FINAL 2018 Roadster Road Trip Data

That should take you to the spreadsheet. Note that the PURPLE columns are data filled in after the trip, from the touch screen display data grabbing we did. Some are missing where I forgot to take a photo. But enough good data there to extrapolate if you want.

Again, this taken from a 2010 Roadster Sport 2.0 with R80/3.0 upgrade, Yokohama tires, 4,400 miles at time of trip starting. There are copies of the photos if you need/want that correspond with the purple fields. Truth is that our calculated data isnt all that useful —- its really the purple columns that show the wh/mi that matter.

(if you take the prior/next data points you can pull up elevation logs/etc and see how we did— and take the distance/travel time to extrapolate average speed, etc)—- someone with more time/interest than myself might choose to really analyze the data— for me i just wanted it for sake of travel time and charging time!

Just thinking.....
Is there somebody in Europe who will get a battery upgrade to 3.0 in the coming months ?
Since my standard range is now down to 105 miles I presume I will not make it for 2 years waiting. If that someone has a pack with a CAC of 140 or more we can ask Tesla to do a swap with my pack simultaneously?
Is there somebody out there who is willing? Of course I will pay the additional costs for this pack switch which means my pack will go back to Tesla and the pack coming out of the upgraded Roadster goes into my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: ICON
Very disappointed in Tesla.
I must wait 2 years. They do not allow swapping like I proposed in 3 posts here above.
They can deliver a new original pack in 3 months, but now comes the strange part for a price that is exactly the same as the 3.0 upgrade. Knowing that the 3.0 upgrade is also software and PEM hardware it is not logical to quote exactly the same price. I feel I am not taken seriously anymore.
I am going to order the 3.0 upgrade and if my current battery will not make it, I can always decide to switch to the standard replacement that will be delivered in 3 months.
I sincerely hope that we get some company with an after market alternative but have my doubts since apparently the sheets in the pack are sealed and very difficult to open and change for new cells.

Very disappointed in Tesla.
I must wait 2 years. They do not allow swapping like I proposed in 3 posts here above.
They can deliver a new original pack in 3 months, but now comes the strange part for a price that is exactly the same as the 3.0 upgrade. Knowing that the 3.0 upgrade is also software and PEM hardware it is not logical to quote exactly the same price. I feel I am not taken seriously anymore.
I am going to order the 3.0 upgrade and if my current battery will not make it, I can always decide to switch to the standard replacement that will be delivered in 3 months.
I sincerely hope that we get some company with an after market alternative but have my doubts since apparently the sheets in the pack are sealed and very difficult to open and change for new cells.

That sucks :(

The only aftermarket company I know about is Pete Gruber in Arizona. They might have some refurbished batteries.

Interestingly I was at Williams Advanced Engineering manufacturing site today looking at their battery facility for Formula Electric, and they cells they are using still the standard 18650 configuration, packed in a battery box which is about half the size of the Roadsters battery box. We discussed abet, lightly, about manufacturing packs for other vehicles and the conclusion was that given the rate of tech development of battery chemistries, that a third party like Williams Advanced Engineering could easily do a custom run of battery packs for a vehicle like the Roadster. So whilst there isn't much choice right now, I suspect given the right buttons pushed, and a demand of packs in volumes of 10-50 then a commerical organisation could offer a future solution. I suspect that exceeding a 100kW for lower mass should be possible within 24 months, which is food for thought...:D

@Marius and others who are in for a long wait.

There is a post on the Tesla Roadster Owners' Club Facebook group where an owner had a total battery failure in March and they received an upgraded battery in early June. I asked permission if I can quote it. It appears that said owner is in Florida.

For those who want to dig deeper into the data from my 1,200+ mile road trip, go here:
FINAL 2018 Roadster Road Trip Data

First off let me reintroduce myself. Last month I became the second owner of Roadster # 613, a radiant red 2.0 Sport that came out of Florida. First owner had configured a fairly loaded car and driven it ~4,400 miles over 8 years. Included in that time was an R80 upgrade. My purchase included my "epic road trip" (see quote above) which was a 1,300+ mile drive from Florida to Ohio.

Fast forward to today....

Since purchase I've gotten to know the car quite a bit more. OVMSv3 installed. Pulled the data logs last night. And a friend of mine (@Darren S ) has helped me review some of the data here. I'm curious to have some of the R80/3.0 experts look it over, and offer any advice. My goal is to help preserve the CAC and range for myself, and future owners of course!

Here are three screen grabs that might be of interest.....

First photo shows the battery upgrade. So it looks like the original battery had a 147 CAC which then jumped to a 215 CAC post 3.0/R80 update as you can see below. This occurred around 3,423 miles on the car.
r80-tesla-1-upgrade.png

Second photo is meant to illustrate a few things. This photo shows the FULL CAC DROP since R80 upgrade. What I find most interesting here is that the CAC dropped from 215 to 204 for the first two years but only 900 miles (prior owner). During my ownership the CAC has dropped now to 198, which is quite a bit. However, if the CAC dropped by a value of 11 over 900 miles, for me to have it drop only a value of 6 over what has been nearly 1,900 miles doesn't seem that bad? Thoughts?
r80-tesla-2-prior-owner.png

Here is a more precise zoom into the EPIC ROAD TRIP specifically. So you can see we picked up the car at 4,392 miles and a CAC of 204.07 .... drive home was to 1,283 miles (though I think it didn't include the final leg in this snapshot but close enough) and CAC dropped to 202. Not bad if you look at this. Perhaps my bigger issue/concern/worry then is the drop from 202 to 198 in the following 600 miles.
r80-tesla-3-epic-road-trip.png

Thanks in advance to anyone who looks at this data, reviews it, and of course can provide thoughts or feedback. During the trip EVERY charge was set to RANGE, whereas since home I only have range-charged once, and i've only been below 50% SOC that I can recall maybe twice.

One thing I've discovered from looking at many people's R80 logs is that CAC decline is both a function of mileage and time, with time being the bigger factor. I don't find it surprising at all that two years' time has a bigger effect than driving 2K miles (which really isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things; look at the data for my car, for instance, which has 142K miles total).

Also, you range charged it for your trip. There's very solid evidence that range charging the battery makes the CAC go up. (Note: No one thinks it helps the cell do better, but instead makes the CAC algorithm have a higher guess.) So I would expect some increase in CAC just from that.

Does anyone have an estimate as to how long it takes to range charge a 3.0 battery from 25 miles? I am using a standard Porsche (240V charger) and my S is reading it at 16A? It put the first 25 miles back on in like an hour but now after 4 hours I'm at only 86 miles.

Does anyone have an estimate as to how long it takes to range charge a 3.0 battery from 25 miles? I am using a standard Porsche (240V charger) and my S is reading it at 16A? It put the first 25 miles back on in like an hour but now after 4 hours I'm at only 86 miles.
At 240v and 16 amps you are charging at 3.8kw. With losses let’s say 3 kW effective or about 12 miles per hour. So it will be slow likely 20 hours slow.

• Informative
Reactions: thebabydoc