Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... be good or useful in a used market with someone who would want those sheets in a battery pack utilizing the same battery technology.

I did say they were good sheets.

Up to now warrenty fixes don't allow owners to ask for replaced parts. If you get the ESA that would continue right?

Now used Tesla powertrain parts can make it on the secondary market.

My first, knee jerk reaction, is to "Pass" and self insure.

I'm on the same page, it seams rather high especially since there is a deductible and it doesn't cover suspension. You are basically just warranting the Motor, PEM and battery... Most of the other things that could go wrong either aren't covered or are low cost to fix anyway.

I would be more interested if this was sold as a monthly cost instead of the full payment up front... So that would be $209 a month for the battery and $139 a month for everything else if you elected the 3 year plans.

Wow, that's lots of dollars for not much service. $200 deductible on everything. Lots of exclusions:

The Vehicle ESA does not cover squeaks, rattles, leaks or wind noise. Nor any regular wear parts. Nor wheels and tires. Nor suspension alignment, wheel balancing, brake rotor, hoses, A/C lines or shocks. Nor sheet metal, bumpers, moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, battery, lenses, light bulbs, glass, trim, seals, tops, cables, etc.

It sounds like listing what it does cover would be a shorter list!

The three year battery warranty is almost the cost of the battery replacement option. At least for the latter you were guaranteed a new battery.

I don't see this making economic sense.

I visited my local service department yesterday,

Battery: 1 year/12k miles for $3k, 2/24k for $5,500, or 3/36 for $7,500.
Vehicle: 1 year for $3k, 2 for $4k, or 3 for $5k.

Interesting that they are the same price for 1 year, but the battery is 50% more for 3 years........ It's about $9,425 to have a new PEM installed,....

As for the battery ESA, a new sheet is $3k plus installation. ....

If a Roadster has a battery failure, how much is it to have a new one installed? My store said it's 40 hours of labor. Do you get the keep the box ($7,000 in parts) or do the swap all sheets in you box?

Perhaps SmoothOp can chime in here.

I asked a couple of months ago, when my Roadster went out of warranty. I was told they're still working on it. I'll ask again at the San Diego store opening next week.

i dropped my roadster off for service today and they said the ESA was coming but not yet released.

there was mention of the retail battery cost (presumably not including installation labor) being $34.5K

As noted earlier in the thread, I was given an ESA on Oct 10. But it didn't include CA; and more importantly, Tesla just contacted me today to say that some modifications are still being made, and they will get back to me when it is official. So hang in there Roadster owners; they haven't forgotten us!

They are also aware that some of us are already out of warranty. They say we will get 30 days to decide on the ESAs starting when the ESAs are available; we do not have to decide within 30 days of our warranty running out. It would be nice if the ESAs were already done; but frankly right now I'd rather see them get cars out the door, so I told them not to hurry on my account.

i dropped my roadster off for service today and they said the ESA was coming but not yet released.

there was mention of the retail battery cost (presumably not including installation labor) being $34.5K

Note to self: Thank you for buying the replacement battery program.

I would guess that includes installation and labor. That's how most of their other options work. The price will probably go down every year. And it might be more than 53 kWh.

I just had some work done on my car (the PEM that was installed last year because it didn't support the new blower motor was acting up). I am getting a little nervous about not having any coverage right about now, so I asked the good folks at Tesla Tigertail about the extended warranty. They told me that Tesla was not offering the extended warranty for any of its cars (include the Model S) in Florida yet! Apparently there is an issue with the Florida Insurance commission and Tesla is in the process of getting the paperwork done (leave it to Florida to have a paperwork issue - remember the hanging chad!)

WA had some similar issues; warranties were delayed here too. We now do have extended warranties for the Model S...but even though the doc mentions the Roadster and shows pricing (it sounds like they will use the same doc) you still can't buy it for the Roadster yet.

Odd that you can buy it for the car that is years away from needing it, but not for the car that is currently uncovered.

And please, don't hang me. (I have always preferred the swinging chad).

WA had some similar issues; warranties were delayed here too. We now do have extended warranties for the Model S...
Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing, Chad? I don't see an offering for extended warranty.

I see (and have purchased) these:
  • Service: 4-Year Anywhere Plan + 4-Year Extension
  • Tire and Wheel Replacement Program

My understanding was/is that Warranty is a completely different animal from Service.

Yup, they are different. I bought the pre-paid maintenance plan (called a "Pre-paid service plan"), but haven't bought the extended warranty (which is confusingly called an "Extended Service Agreement") yet - not that there's any hurry, as I can buy it until 30 days after my original warranty runs out.

Here's what I see:

ExtWar.jpg

I have heard other owners say that if you buy it within 30 days of the original running out, you can get it.

But that didn't work for me. I started asking about it almost a year ago (before my original ran out), and in fact got some paperwork once; but then they told me they were still working on it. I asked recently, and they still said it was not yet available.

This might be because I am in WA, which has slightly more complicated laws than other states. But that's speculation; Tesla did not mention that.