Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's hard to clean the touchscreen. When I wipe it with a cleaning cloth it keeps registering as random presses (even if the car is off). It would be nice if there was a "cleaning mode" that would ignore touchscreen presses for 60 seconds.

I tried rubbing my finger around the screen a little and none of the buttons registered it unless I took my finger off the screen a little during it. Maybe if you make sure to keep your finger pressed against the cloth/screen and don't allow the cloth to touch anywhere else (although I expect that most cloths wouldn't register without reasonable force pressing them to the screen).

I was just updated to 4.5.1, doesn't seem to really add anything. I told the tech my wish to have the estimated range on the small LCD screen replaced with speed (mph) and he said he'd pass that along.

I would like the ability to program security features to specify the maximum speed and distance the Roadster can travel before a PIN is entered. This would prevent someone who stole the car (even if they had a key) from going more than 20 mph with a range of 1 mile. Think of it as enhanced "Valet Mode."

I suggest people also send these requests into their customer advocate. Here is what I sent to mine:

+++
I have an enhancement / feature request for the roadster.

I am 5'11" tall, and the visibility of the roadster dashboard display is as per the attached photograph. The top third of the speedometer is really not visible at all - as it is obscured by the steering wheel.

The little orange LCD display in the dashboard is very clear, but really doesn't show much useful info. The amps used is ok, but the battery state, mileage and trip odometer are all visible on the color VDS down by my knee.

It would be much better if the roadster had an option to show speed in that little orange LCD. Either just speed, or a setting toggle like the odometer/trip counter switch. Or, simply remove the battery display and show speed there instead.

I am not sure if others have requested this or not, but almost all the owners I talk to complain about not being able to see the speedometer.

Other than that, the car is a dream.

photo-1.JPG

Last edited:
I suggest people also send these requests into their customer advocate. Here is what I sent to mine:

+++
I have an enhancement / feature request for the roadster.

I am 5'11" tall, and the visibility of the roadster dashboard display is as per the attached photograph. The top third of the speedometer is really not visible at all - as it is obscured by the steering wheel.

The little orange LCD display in the dashboard is very clear, but really doesn't show much useful info. The amps used is ok, but the battery state, mileage and trip odometer are all visible on the color VDS down by my knee.

It would be much better if the roadster had an option to show speed in that little orange LCD. Either just speed, or a setting toggle like the odometer/trip counter switch. Or, simply remove the battery display and show speed there instead.

I am not sure if others have requested this or not, but almost all the owners I talk to complain about not being able to see the speedometer.

Other than that, the car is a dream.

View attachment 2247

Awesome. Thanks. The more people who e-mail the better. I can't believe this would be something hard to do but maybe it is.

I can't believe this would be something hard to do but maybe it is.
Every change in firmware is an invitation for new problems. I've seen software companies who are 'responsive' to customer ideas, but they also end up with just as many patch releases to fix new bugs introduced during the feature changes. Sometimes it's better to just leave a new feature unrealized. If only a couple of Roadster owners are unhappy with the three existing speed indicators (needle on dash, number in VDS, number in Infotainment GPS) then it might not make sense to go through testing for all of the potential bugs just to add a 4th speed indicator.

Every change in firmware is an invitation for new problems. I've seen software companies who are 'responsive' to customer ideas, but they also end up with just as many patch releases to fix new bugs introduced during the feature changes. Sometimes it's better to just leave a new feature unrealized. If only a couple of Roadster owners are unhappy with the three existing speed indicators (needle on dash, number in VDS, number in Infotainment GPS) then it might not make sense to go through testing for all of the potential bugs just to add a 4th speed indicator.
Good point. If the speed in the Infotainment system could be displayed in the upper right hand corner at all times, I'd be fine with that. That's more of an Alpine issue though so Tesla can't fix that. I just have to move my knee and take my eyes off of the road to see the VDS or duck my head down to see the dash currently. Hopefully it's something they can do at some point.

Honestly, if I were to prioritize feature requests, that would be my #1 by far. I'm constantly having to peer over at the VDS. I'd like sometimes to be able to display a different screen there...

... the three existing speed indicators (needle on dash, number in VDS, number in Infotainment GPS) then it might not make sense to go through testing for all of the potential bugs just to add a 4th speed indicator.

There are hundreds of Roadsters without the GPS option. As I said, my left knee VDS is behind the steering wheel just like the top of the needle swing.

As I said, my left knee VDS is behind the steering wheel.

I guess that's why they changed the VDS to the center console........ for the speedo I have gotten used to seeing the underside of the needle and knowing at what angles are the prevailing speed limits that I need to adhere to. it works quite well and have never been accosted by the local law enforcement for overly speeding when needing to slow down to something reasonable: ie. current speedlimts. I however, CAN see the VDS in the center console but actually never use it since I have other statistics showing there........

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts as a firmware feature, but: On the 2011 Jaguar XKR (which we almost bought before we tried the Roadster) you can essentially tell the car your preferred top speed. Let's say you set it to 45 mph in an area where the prevailing limit is 40, then you know you can floor the pedal any time you like without going above this speed. For me this would help avoid going waaaay over the limit by accident while giving people demo drives. Demos are much more impressive without the lurch of the regen when I take my foot off the accelerator.

It does have some safety implications, I know; you need to be able to power out of some situations, but a programmable software speed limit would be something I'd like to see.

Try hitting the brake very aggressivly (not slam). It slows you down and wows them on good the brakes are.

Wouldn't that make it worse? Unless you're two-footing it you'll get the regen when you take your foot of the accelerator, then the hit from the brakes (admittedly, impressive).

Anyway I don't want any deceleration at all, I just want to go 0-40 in 2.6 secs and stay there. As it is I can't quite judge where to put the pedal, not to mention the problem of the built-in lag of the needle tachometer making it hard to measure actual speed.

Wouldn't that make it worse? Unless you're two-footing it you'll get the regen when you take your foot of the accelerator, then the hit from the brakes (admittedly, impressive).....

Yeah it's "hiding the regen" in the braking. I agree the constant relentless acceleration is what blows people away and if a driver could perfectly transition to a steady fixed speed it would be a more impressive smooth experience. It never seems to be as fulfilling though.
Going slightly above the posted limit and then braking hard and leaves them wowed and sweaty by the whole experience as a single unit.

To get back on the firmware topic,
I'd like to see the Peak readings in the Torque/Power/Accel window remember negative peaks independently from positive peaks.
So, when you're braking hard with regen, you could actually see the peak G Force and compare it to the peak for acceleration. Same with torque and power.