Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Owners Excluded from Model 3 Priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so maybe I am the only person in the world in this position, but I can't imagine that is possible.

I'm a dedicated Tesla stock holder and Roaster owner who has never bought a Model S or X, not because they aren't great cars or because of price (I have a Roadster for Gods sake!), but rather because both are simply much bigger vehicles than I really need. So I have anxiously been awaiting the release of the Model 3, a mid-sized sedan much more suited to my needs- based of size, not price.

Like most of us, I was excited to learn of the tremendous enthusiasm for the Model 3 demonstrated by the 100s of thousands of preorders, and gratified when I heard Telsa had announced that "existing Telsa owners" would get priority on the waiting list.

So I went ahead and signed up! All right! Then.... I got my "Reservation Confirmation" email...

It says, and I quote, "Those who own Model S or Model X cars will be offered priority production slots as a special thanks for supporting the Tesla mission."

So....

We few, we happy few, Roadster owners are NOT considered by Elon to have "supported the Telsa mission" enough to deserve the same consideration?

Now, understandably, it is probably the case that MOST Roadster owners have also become S or X owners as well, and thus qualify anyway, but not all of us.

As a Roadster (only) owner, am I now relegated to a second class citizen in the Tesla world... Again?

How can this be? And, end the end. What does the company gain by specifically excluding what is honestly maybe at most a few hundred people, at most. (Roadster owners, minus those who also own S or X, minus those not wanting a Model 3 = ????)

What gives?

I hope you are right, Bonnie, because it certainly made no sense to me, especially considering all the praise given by Elon and other regarding the Roadster owners having "saved" the company and so forth.

But what bugged me was - why make the official email from the company specifically state "S and X owners" rather than simply saying "Tesla owners"? Seemed deliberate, and actually takes up more space. Makes me feel kind of forgotten.

My Roadster (#1422) is registered on the website, and it even brings up a lovely graphic represntation of it when I log in, so I trust you are correct that they still count me as an owner for this context.

So was this just a goof up by the PR dept? Keep in mind, the email Telsa sent ME, a registered Roadster owner, included the language specifically NOT including Roadster owners.

That's seems like a bit of an Oops.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tree95
It's not a case of hoping I'm right - the tweets are out there. So are the threads discussing this.

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 4.40.52 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and garsh
Another important thing they didn't say is that if you bought a *USED* Tesla, you are *not* qualified. Which I think is actually perfectly fine and reasonable, but they should have said 'original owners' to begin with.
Do we know this for sure? I don't see why a used S purchaser wouldn't be included. Yes their $ didn't directly go to the company but the original owners $ did. Let's say someone bought an S and then sold it and bought an ICE. I'd be fine with whosever bought the used S getting priority.

Another important thing they didn't say is that if you bought a *USED* Tesla, you are *not* qualified. Which I think is actually perfectly fine and reasonable, but they should have said 'original owners' to begin with.
Tesla said that current "owners" will be given priority in the Model 3 production sequence. I am sure that means all who own a Tesla. I do not believe that Tesla is going to rank current owners who bought their car used any differently from those who bought new. Come on, that would be petty and would only create ill will. Tesla is not going to do that.

Tesla just wants Model 3 reservation holders to know that their current customers have priority (after the Tesla employees who have a reservation). We recently learned that only 7% of Model 3 reservation holders are Tesla owners. So if you are an owner you have a distinct advantage, but don't forget that those owners on the West Coast of the US will receive their cars first, then the East Coast, then overseas, and those in right hand drive countries will likely be last.

image.jpeg
Point well taken, John, though I agree with the other members who felt that it would be remarkably petty for the company to bias "original" owners against those who had bought Teslas later, particularly in the case of Roadsters, which have not been in production for some years.

Tesla, rightfully so, prides itself on having built its strong brand with conventionally advertising. We owners, regardless of where, when or from whom we purchased the car, are the company's most effective advertisement. They know that.

I can't stop for coffee at 7 am in my Roadster without someone asking about it and what I think of my Tesla.

This is how they grow the Brand... Which is awesome.

I would hate to have to start telling people, "Well, although I LOVE the very limited edition, amazing $130,000 sports car I own that says Tesla on it, they seem to have forgotten me in preference to their more recent SUV converts. Oh well..."

All Tesla owners are out there "showing the flag" and doing the marketing they need. If the company is going to show presence to existing owners, ALL owners should be included.

Not to doubt Bonnie as to whether a Twiiter post constitutes legally enforceable company policy (?), but my original issue was with the wording of the email I got "officially" from Tesla this week. See attached.

Point well taken, John, though I agree with the other members who felt that it would be remarkably petty for the company to bias "original" owners against those who had bought Teslas later, particularly in the case of Roadsters, which have not been in production for some years.

Tesla, rightfully so, prides itself on having built its strong brand with conventionally advertising. We owners, regardless of where, when or from whom we purchased the car, are the company's most effective advertisement. They know that.

I can't stop for coffee at 7 am in my Roadster without someone asking about it and what I think of my Tesla.

This is how they grow the Brand... Which is awesome.

I would hate to have to start telling people, "Well, although I LOVE the very limited edition, amazing $130,000 sports car I own that says Tesla on it, they seem to have forgotten me in preference to their more recent SUV converts. Oh well..."

All Tesla owners are out there "showing the flag" and doing the marketing they need. If the company is going to show presence to existing owners, ALL owners should be included.

Not to doubt Bonnie as to whether a Twiiter post constitutes legally enforceable company policy (?), but my original issue was with the wording of the email I got "officially" from Tesla this week. See attached.

If you're worried about it still, you should call Tesla and get confirmation for yourself.

As @bonnie stated, a Roadster owner is in the priority.

Tesla takes care of owners whether you're the first or subsequent owner of a Tesla. Just make sure that your Roadster is in your My Tesla account. We're the second owner to #40 and we're treated well (with regard to the Roadster).

There are many threads with folks that bought used Roadsters and added it to their accounts.

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG
And has anyone pointed out that Telsa's claimed marketing strategy, as pointed out by Bonnie above, makes no sense what so ever?

To encourage prospective Model 3 owners to buy an S or X just to move up on the priority list?

Seriously?

Let's think about this. Prospective Model 3 buyers who were remotlely in the market for an S or X likely already have one or have ordered one. The VAST majority of new prospective Tesla owners who are ordering Model 3s are not in the market for S or X models for a variety of reasons. Price, size, whatever.

So the idea that someone looking to purchase a Model 3, who is not already an S or X owner, would shell out the cash for an X or S simply to move up on the 3 waiting list is a bit asinine. Honestly.

So Telsa's explanation for specially saying "be a Model S or X owner" to get priority, while not mentioning Roadster owners (which new prospective owners can't buy to bump up their priority) actually makes no realistic sense.

To encourage prospective Model 3 owners to buy an S or X just to move up on the priority list?

Seriously?

Yes, and believe it or not that's what's actually happening. People are going out to test drive the Model S/X and end up purchasing it because they are so excited about the Model 3 and the performance electric vehicles can bring that they plop down the money right then and there for instant gratification. They don't actually do it to move up the line, but rather it's an additional selling point.

You're probably right, Jeff. Makes me at once glad that more people are brought into to e-vehicle fold, and sad that it takes this kind of almost cynical marketing trickery to help them find their way.

Also doesn't explain why this "mistake in their comms" as Bonnie puts it (and I honestly believe that is the case- a mistake) continues to be perpetuated to owners as of yesterday (May 12, 2016), despite it having been pointed out by devoted owners like Bonnie and others.

Here is my personal thank you to previous owners. Without you the Model 3 wouldn't be a reality.

Am I jealous that you get priority in line? You bet. Yet now there's at least a Tesla remotely in my price range as long as I stick to Ramen noodles for the next year.

• Love
Reactions: Tes LA
You're probably right, Jeff. Makes me at once glad that more people are brought into to e-vehicle fold, and sad that it takes this kind of almost cynical marketing trickery to help them find their way.

Also doesn't explain why this "mistake in their comms" as Bonnie puts it (and I honestly believe that is the case- a mistake) continues to be perpetuated to owners as of yesterday (May 12, 2016), despite it having been pointed out by devoted owners like Bonnie and others.

I agree with you and think they need to update their communications to simply say "Tesla owners will be offered priority..." You can contact [email protected] about this.

I was told, yesterday, explicitly by a Tesla salesperson that used car owners are not included. Which, frankly, I think is fair and reasonable.

The Tesla website doesn't even offer a way for me to register my used vehicle under 'My Tesla'.

Look up the process for registering a used Roadster around here.

I believe you call ownership, they ask you for a copy of latest registration and your My Tesla email.

I was told, yesterday, explicitly by a Tesla salesperson that used car owners are not included. Which, frankly, I think is fair and reasonable.

The Tesla website doesn't even offer a way for me to register my used vehicle under 'My Tesla'.
I think that Tesla employee is incorrect based on earlier posts in this thread.

Regarding getting a Roadster bought used to show in My Tesla, some on TMC have reported that Tesla added it to their My Tesla on their request. Others -- like me -- have made requests to have it added and been told it isn't possible. I've asked different people at my local service center and they have said it can't be done. Note that I bought my S new in 2013 so have an existing My Tesla account.