Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on past Tesla vehicles, I would guess things like:
* Better interior materials
* Better sound system
* Upgraded wheel option
* Maybe include autopilot
...etc...

Although with a $200K base price, I would think people would expect most things to be premium already...
Yes, and Tesla faced that same issue with the original Roadster, the S, and the X. The price was so high that some people were unhappy and even incensed that the base car didn’t come with every fancy feature they could think of.

I think that fundamentally the new Roadster Founders Edition cars will be about bragging rights, but they will have some special minor touches that will never be available again. What those things will be I have no idea.

Reactions: GSP
I really want one... but not going to get a founder's edition to be sure. I agree with some previous posts that 2020 is too far out with the rest of the world coming out with EVs soon and Tesla bleeding cash. My lease on my S is up next year, so maybe I'll just lease a P100D until then and make an informed decision once the date is closer.

@bobinfla - looks like your wire transfer went through. How long did it take? Having some issues with my wire transfer.
I wired mine Monday morning, and thought it has left my WF account, it's still not showing up in Tesla.
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 9.44.22 PM.png

Reactions: pilotSteve
I wired mine Monday morning, and thought it has left my WF account, it's still not showing up in Tesla.
View attachment 262047

I wired the same day and I have the same issue. I called them and was informed that due to the volume it will take them 5 days to log your deposit and see it on the site. I guess be patient.

Update: Now Wednesday is past and still no logging of my deposit. I'll update when it is posted so others can have a time frame of how long it is taking them.

Last edited:
I managed to hold off for nearly a week!

That was it, though, I ordered today. Standard, not Founders'. I couldn't see sending that much cash that early.

I really wonder whether they'll get anywhere close to the 1000 Founders' editions. It seems like a stretch to me to get that far. That would be roughly 40% of the total of original Roadsters sold overall.

Reactions: Britannia and Nevek
The referral prize system gives discount on Founders' so some (many) of those orders will likely come from people who generated a lot of referrals.

Also, I think brand recognition and widespread acceptance is orders of magnitude higher now than it was in the original Roadster days.

Reactions: GSP
Also, I think brand recognition and widespread acceptance is orders of magnitude higher now than it was in the original Roadster days.

That's certainly true. For several years after I got my Roadster, I'd nearly always have to explain what Tesla was. Doesn't seem to happen much anymore. And the new Roadster will have the additional appeal of being the quickest production car ever sold, which was not true with the original.

OTOH, the deposit was, IIRC, $5K then as opposed to $250K for the new Founders'. And, of course, the new car costs a lot more, even taking into account inflation.

I guess we'll just wait and see. (And wait, and wait, and wait. I thought that 4 months was excruciating last time.)

I emailed and got this back:
"Thanks for reaching out. Just wanted to follow up on your inquiry regarding your Roadster Wire Transfer. It takes about 2 to 3 business days for the transaction to process on our end and for it to reflect within your MyTesla account. Feel free to contact me for any further questions, I’d be happy to assist. Congratulations on your Roadster Reservation!!"

Supercharging is included with the Founders cars, right?

*bemused grin*

Edit: Gonna go get a bigger spoon now.

This car would be the ultimate toad* as well.

*toad - That which is towed behind an RV, such as a Tesla Semi RV - aka the ultimate traveling machine.