TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster reservations

Discussion in 'Roadster 2022' started by Twiddler, Nov 16, 2017.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, and Tesla faced that same issue with the original Roadster, the S, and the X. The price was so high that some people were unhappy and even incensed that the base car didn’t come with every fancy feature they could think of.

I think that fundamentally the new Roadster Founders Edition cars will be about bragging rights, but they will have some special minor touches that will never be available again. What those things will be I have no idea.

• Like x 1
  2. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

I didn't, but I did start buying TSLA at $28.96. When we get back up to $322.54, I've made enough on TSLA to cover all my Teslas.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  3. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

have I understood correctly that Founder is $50K more than normal? (i.e. $250K instead of $200K)

I'd need a fair bit of swag for that!

4. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

I really want one... but not going to get a founder's edition to be sure. I agree with some previous posts that 2020 is too far out with the rest of the world coming out with EVs soon and Tesla bleeding cash. My lease on my S is up next year, so maybe I'll just lease a P100D until then and make an informed decision once the date is closer.

5. sputnik

sputnik Member

@bobinfla - looks like your wire transfer went through. How long did it take? Having some issues with my wire transfer.

6. AMN

AMN Supporting Member

I expect to see all that carbon fiber aerodynamic stuff and wheels in CF on founders cars.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

I wired mine Monday morning, and thought it has left my WF account, it's still not showing up in Tesla.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 9.44.22 PM.png

• Like x 1
  8. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

#68 Lloyd, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    I wired the same day and I have the same issue. I called them and was informed that due to the volume it will take them 5 days to log your deposit and see it on the site. I guess be patient.

Update: Now Wednesday is past and still no logging of my deposit. I'll update when it is posted so others can have a time frame of how long it is taking them.

• Informative x 2
  9. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

I put the wire in Friday about 3pm eastern time. It changed from "Awaiting Deposit" to "Confirmed" sometime on Tuesday.

• Informative x 1
  10. visionik

visionik Member

Just another datapoint:

I got the same "could take 5 days story" when I called.

I wired funds at 9am Friday EST, and my status on tesla.com changed to confirmed sometime Tuesday before 11 AM EST.

• Informative x 1
  11. visionik

visionik Member

But Elon always hits his d̶e̶a̶d̶l̶i̶n̶e̶s̶ err goals!

12. bolosky

bolosky Member

I managed to hold off for nearly a week!

That was it, though, I ordered today. Standard, not Founders'. I couldn't see sending that much cash that early.

I really wonder whether they'll get anywhere close to the 1000 Founders' editions. It seems like a stretch to me to get that far. That would be roughly 40% of the total of original Roadsters sold overall.

• Like x 2
  13. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

The referral prize system gives discount on Founders' so some (many) of those orders will likely come from people who generated a lot of referrals.

Also, I think brand recognition and widespread acceptance is orders of magnitude higher now than it was in the original Roadster days.

• Like x 1
  14. bolosky

bolosky Member

That's certainly true. For several years after I got my Roadster, I'd nearly always have to explain what Tesla was. Doesn't seem to happen much anymore. And the new Roadster will have the additional appeal of being the quickest production car ever sold, which was not true with the original.

OTOH, the deposit was, IIRC, $5K then as opposed to $250K for the new Founders'. And, of course, the new car costs a lot more, even taking into account inflation.

I guess we'll just wait and see. (And wait, and wait, and wait. I thought that 4 months was excruciating last time.)

15. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

I emailed and got this back:
    "Thanks for reaching out. Just wanted to follow up on your inquiry regarding your Roadster Wire Transfer. It takes about 2 to 3 business days for the transaction to process on our end and for it to reflect within your MyTesla account. Feel free to contact me for any further questions, I’d be happy to assist. Congratulations on your Roadster Reservation!!"

16. Colasec

Colasec Member

I reserved Saturday 10am PST, wired Monday 11am PST, confirmed receipt via phone Tuesday 5pm PST, and my account page still says "Awaiting deposit".

It seems like reservation volume has been high...

17. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Supercharging is included with the Founders cars, right?

*bemused grin*

Edit: Gonna go get a bigger spoon now.

This car would be the ultimate toad* as well.

*toad - That which is towed behind an RV, such as a Tesla Semi RV - aka the ultimate traveling machine.

18. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Sadly, there was mention of a $400 an hour idling fee.

• Funny x 1
  19. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Raise it! Projected Turo rental rate is ‘tweenst $3K-$5K per day!

20. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

Typical. Rich folks sponging of us poor people who can only afford the £100K model ... :p

• Funny x 5