Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster sales - Tesla business model profitable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is very interesting. I wonder if it matters that they had unique VINs (mostly labeled as VPs). I half expected them to do this in the future since VIN502 (red 2010 Roadster Sport with CF exterior accents) is being used as a marketing car, yet has a standard VIN.

Any word what price they were able to get for them?

I talked about this in the same conversation that I mentioned before. The word was that they're marked down 20% from list price.

I know that the local service manager was trying to buy VP 31 for about $40,000. At least that is what he offered Elon for it.

Not sure if Elon accepted. It is a very "used" Tesla Roadster.
As of last week it was still here and was not yet sold. They drove it in our Seattle weekend drive.
How beat up does vp31 have to be to be offered 40k? I assume it's in bad shape?

An offer does not reflect value unless all offers are similar, this may reflect demand. If I offered 5k for a Roadster it does not mean it is worth 5k in the open market. VP31 sold...and for much more than 40k...

VP11 needed replacement brakes at 10,000 miles, but that's not a huge expense either.

I think VP11 took an exceptional amount of abuse, being the first customer drive car and taken for extended white-knuckle test drives. I don't envy Zak and the others who were in the passenger seat for those early test drives. VP11 rattled horribly when I took it for a second test drive in July of 2008.

I doubt they sold VP11 since it would need a lot of work to make it feel like a new car. When they started doing test drives in the newer VPs, they switched to auto-cross style customer drives. That sort of driving is hard on tires, but not really so rough on the car.

I do wonder what sort of battery pack warranty they give with the VPs they sold...

Speaking of the guy (one page back) who bought the one in NYC... I was just there about four weeks ago and saw the Roadster for my very first time (in person, dark green, VIN 281), and the sales manager told me that it was incredibly difficult to get the car in the showroom with two forklifts and many hours maneuvering through the front door and glass walls. I'm surprised they were so willing to part with it, now that they have to get several more cars in to make up for the loss!

Speaking of the guy (one page back) who bought the one in NYC... I was just there about four weeks ago and saw the Roadster for my very first time (in person, dark green, VIN 281), and the sales manager told me that it was incredibly difficult to get the car in the showroom with two forklifts and many hours maneuvering through the front door and glass walls. I'm surprised they were so willing to part with it, now that they have to get several more cars in to make up for the loss!

The only "car" in the NY showroom now is the EP2, which doesn't even have the drivertrain in it. The woman there said they sold all of the 2008 floor models (which is a good thing), and they'll eventually get new demos for the NY store, but probably not until late fall when they finally finish building the thing. The architectural specs (which they have posted on the wall in the store) look really nice. Right now, it's kind of dumpy, with boxes and stuff laying around, but should be really nice once it's finished.

The only "car" in the NY showroom now is the EP2, which doesn't even have the drivertrain in it.

Are we referring to the same car? Dark green exterior, light brown seats?
08-26-09_1715.jpg

... the sales manager told me that it was incredibly difficult to get the car in the showroom with two forklifts and many hours maneuvering through the front door and glass walls. I'm surprised they were so willing to part with it, now that they have to get several more cars in to make up for the loss!

It's what they do.

Move cars.