Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtripping in the Era of COVID-19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I haven't been on a road trip since a year ago October, but it looks like the end is near for my father and I have to head down to central California soon from the Portland area. Earlier in the pandemic I saw people report having trouble finding open restrooms near some superchargers.

I'm headed for Morro Bay (just north of San Luis Obispo). Are there any superchargers devoid of human need support along the way I should avoid?

Well, there are a lot of shops, coffee, or restaurants not open for customers and providing only take out,
so when you need to go somewhere... this is out of question.

When I am in this situation, or more particularly some of my passengers have such need,
some super markets, such as Safeway, Whole Food, Trader's Joe,... still provide such commodity.

I hope this help.

I haven't been on a road trip since a year ago October, but it looks like the end is near for my father and I have to head down to central California soon from the Portland area. Earlier in the pandemic I saw people report having trouble finding open restrooms near some superchargers.
I did a 3,000 mile trip back at the beginning of July, and I knew this was going to be a question or issue, so I just went for what I knew would work. Don't count on things right there at the Supercharger stops for restrooms. The interstate highways always have those big truck stop travel plaza places that are open no matter what, like Flying J, Super America, or whatever. So I know it's more stops, but I just stopped there for bathroom breaks and maybe grab a sandwich or something out of the cooler, to make those quick stops separate from the Superchargers. It's a little slower, but predictable, and you know what you're getting.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Thanks for the info. I'll keep truck stops in mind. I don't like using such crowded places with the virus about, but any port in a storm.

I think I had the virus in February (I even lost my sense of smell and taste for a few days), but it was long enough before the antibody tests came out my B cells were gone before I got the first test. I may have T cell immunity (long term), but that's tougher to test for and I don't know of a test like that available to the public. My partner may have had it just after I did, but both of us are erring on the side of caution.

I'm particularly paranoid about my sister's partner. He is very high risk and I don't want to expose him.

My father passed on Monday so it makes timing of the trip a bit easier to plan. He was 100 with multiple organ failure so nothing is a surprise for anyone. He was suffering so we're actually feeling relief that it's over for him. But there are some estate details and the funeral, which will be very simple because of the virus.

East coaster here. No problems in Southeast. All rest rooms and rest stops are open, as are all restaurants where I have gone.

What's open in different parts of the country varies quite a bit. Washington, Oregon, and California are pretty much in sync and still have restrictions in place. Oregon has so far been 4th lowest in cases per capita in the US. This county and most of Western Washington are on par with Oregon, and are about equally open, but while you can eat in restaurants here, there are a lot of rules about social distancing still in effect. We always just get take out when we do eat out, it's a lot less hassle and safer.

California has been hit harder and still has more restrictions in place in some counties, but the worst hit areas are in the agricultural regions (which I have to drive through).

California has been hit harder and still has more restrictions in place in some counties, but the worst hit areas are in the agricultural regions (which I have to drive through).

If you are male and there is no restroom near your supercharger, then walk off a little bit to a grassy area with some minimal privacy and take care of business. I had to do this once, as a gas station declined to allow the restroom and I didn't think it worthwhile to drive 5-10 minutes to another gas station that might also have declined.

A gallon jug or Gatorade/juice bottle is another less pleasant idea.

That leaves solid waste, which you can simply avoid, or in a worst case scenario make an extra stop. For that and for females, you have the truck stops.

We're fortunate here in South Korea that a lot of the Superchargers are in malls, hotels or office buildings. Everybody wears masks and hand sanitizer is readily available. The 2 rural ones you could probably do it off to the side for men. The fairer sex would have to wait.