Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock Chip on Windshield (in Bay Area - CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to get my windshield replaced and it’s going on over 1-month now. I called TeslA device and they don’t do it. They recommended primer auto glass based out of Dublin. They are still waiting for the glass.

Will be curious to see how Renu is able to secure a glass.

Do get those stars repaired immediately.

And pay cash if they’re small since you don’t want a claim on your record for a $100 bill.

Had two repaired and they’re fine so far.

Had a Model S loaner last week with a small star center windshield low. I assumed Enterprise had at least spent the $10 for a DIY kit.

Nope. 4 days into the rental, that small star became an 18” lateral crack.

Do be sure to note those stars and chips and such before accepting the rental,

Reactions: TampaRich
Do get those stars repaired immediately.

And pay cash if they’re small since you don’t want a claim on your record for a $100 bill.

Had two repaired and they’re fine so far.

Had a Model S loaner last week with a small star center windshield low. I assumed Enterprise had at least spent the $10 for a DIY kit.

Nope. 4 days into the rental, that small star became an 18” lateral crack.

Do be sure to note those stars and chips and such before accepting the rental,
If it was only 100 bucks, thats my deduction, so sure. This was above 800. Did the fill by safelite, which would have been free and no hit, but it was just too much that the fill couldn't cover.

I’m trying to get my windshield replaced and it’s going on over 1-month now. I called TeslA device and they don’t do it. They recommended primer auto glass based out of Dublin. They are still waiting for the glass.

Will be curious to see how Renu is able to secure a glass.

Hi Rcad So Auto Renu Auto Glass, Did come today and replaced the windshield Everything went pretty good it took him about 4 hours from start to finish and yes he was able to get the glass from Dublin Tesla Service center that is where he picked it up from.

I have not Driven the car yet so dont know how the auto pilot is going to react if it needs to be re-calibrated or not I guess will let you guys know once I try it out. So far the windshield installation went well.

By the way has anyone have any experience on Windshield Protection Film | ClearPlex® Windshield Protection Film ? Clear Plex Windshield protection film ? Does this stuff work ?

Hi Rcad So Auto Renu Auto Glass, Did come today and replaced the windshield Everything went pretty good it took him about 4 hours from start to finish and yes he was able to get the glass from Dublin Tesla Service center that is where he picked it up from.

I have not Driven the car yet so dont know how the auto pilot is going to react if it needs to be re-calibrated or not I guess will let you guys know once I try it out. So far the windshield installation went well.

By the way has anyone have any experience on Windshield Protection Film | ClearPlex® Windshield Protection Film ? Clear Plex Windshield protection film ? Does this stuff work ?

Wow, that’s great to hear. Will contact Renu. Did you go through insurance?

HI want to update you so after windshield installation I see my autopilot NOR back up camera is working upon calling Tesla They said seems like a Auto pilot computer issue.

I am not sure if windshield replacement is somehow connected to this or not.

BUt wanted to let you know.

Anyhow before this I did have couple of instances where Backup camera would be comepletly black but it sorted it self out usually with resetting MCU but not this time.

Also I did had last week issue where Auto Regen steer and bunch of other stuff was disabled and they stated it was because of Software issue so it went away.

BUt now I cannot do the AutoPilot or like backup camera not sure if these new one are older issue or windshield replacement but wanted to let you know.

good reviews on this one ( Model 3 owners)

Primer Auto Glass - Dublin, CA

Good place. I just replaced a windshield on my minivan, should've gone thru them (but i used autoglass express @ Berkeley who did excellent job as well with their mobile service, and told me they are doing a lot of Teslas lately).

Wow. it's like every second review there is for TM3 back quarter window break-in. And that's not even San Francisco, for the most part. What a place we live in, huh...

HI want to update you so after windshield installation I see my autopilot NOR back up camera is working upon calling Tesla They said seems like a Auto pilot computer issue.

I am not sure if windshield replacement is somehow connected to this or not.

BUt wanted to let you know.

Anyhow before this I did have couple of instances where Backup camera would be comepletly black but it sorted it self out usually with resetting MCU but not this time.

Also I did had last week issue where Auto Regen steer and bunch of other stuff was disabled and they stated it was because of Software issue so it went away.

BUt now I cannot do the AutoPilot or like backup camera not sure if these new one are older issue or windshield replacement but wanted to let you know.

Yes, it is. After you get windshield replaced, you should have Tesla calibrate AP for you. I've heard this
somewhere or saw it in the manual.

Also, for anyone else searching for this type of thing... While it's true it won't affect your premium, most insurance plans have a limit as to how many of these replacements you can do within a short period. For mine, it's 3 years and 2 replacements. Given mine happened the day after I picked up my 3, I paid the $70 out of pocket for the repair; I can only see it since I know where to look. I was quoted $1,800 for the replacement, and the SC couldn't quote me a delivery time.

Yes, it is. After you get windshield replaced, you should have Tesla calibrate AP for you. I've heard this
somewhere or saw it in the manual.

Also, for anyone else searching for this type of thing... While it's true it won't affect your premium, most insurance plans have a limit as to how many of these replacements you can do within a short period. For mine, it's 3 years and 2 replacements. Given mine happened the day after I picked up my 3, I paid the $70 out of pocket for the repair; I can only see it since I know where to look. I was quoted $1,800 for the replacement, and the SC couldn't quote me a delivery time.

Interesting I just spoke to Tesla Support and all they said was it is a Computer Issue and they might need to replace the computer I guess I will find out Next Tuesday and see what happens.

My insurance agent whom is a friend of the family assured me that filing windshield replacement claims do not affect my premium. I guess I will find out when my insurance is up for 6 month renewal next year.
Ask your friend if it gets included in your claims history (it does). And then ask how that will affect your rate if you ever need to go to another carrier.

Hi I am in the bay area, Today driving on 680 I got a windshield rock chip, Luckily I have Geico mechanical coverage so that gets me a replacement glass for $50 bucks. Only problem is I was at Tesla Dublin Service center and they stated they do not deal with glass replace or repairs. So they pretty much told me go to Safelite AutoGlass.

How-ever upon going to SafeLite Autoglass in Concord CA they stated they cannot Order Glass thru Tesla hence cannot get it to replace the windshield.

So After calling Geico I was pretty much at my own finding a company which can do a replacement of windshield on the Model 3.

Finally Found a company in Oakley CA . Auto Renu Auto Glass

I was wondering if someone in the bayarea has any experience dealing with them or any other company and geico.

Hope they do NOT charge me anymore than $50 since in the email they stated the do NOT pay more than $40/ hr on Glass replacement and not for OEM parts I guess Model 3 Glass is only OEM for rite now and That is the only one I will want anyways.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with Geico or any glass company in the Bay Area..

Thanks! :( Bummer I did not even go thru my first was and got a rock chip :( Only 800 miles so far..
I’m surprised that Dublin would not get it done for you, I had my windshield on my Model S done thru the San Rafael SC and got reimbursed from Allstate.

So just got my car back last night from the Dublin Service Center seems like The computer was bad so they had to replace the computer and then The car went thru Re Calibration as I was driving home. Halfway thru the calibration was done. So did test it on the other half of drive system worked Fine.

Thank you everyone for your help and support.

So just got my car back last night from the Dublin Service Center seems like The computer was bad so they had to replace the computer and then The car went thru Re Calibration as I was driving home. Halfway thru the calibration was done. So did test it on the other half of drive system worked Fine.

Thank you everyone for your help and support.

Did your auto insurance cover the camera calibration