Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock hit my windshield! Can it be fixed or new windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL...its all good/*sugar* happens. Time for new glass. Insist on OEM only (not sure if there are copycats out there already anyways).
From what I've been reading, in the early days Safelite would have to pick up the OEM windshield from Tesla as there were no aftermarket windshields but they now have their own that they install. No idea what the difference is but I would want OEM as well

I am guessing 2 reasons: 1) It could have a negative impact on the aerodynamics of the car, resulting in lower energy efficiency and 2) Some Model 3 drivers may not care for the look.

The 'bug deflector' I use on one of my other cars (Honda Pilot - use it primarily for longer trips) has done a great job of protecting my windshield (I think) from bugs, rocks, etc. But I am positive it has a detrimental effect on aerodynamics...which would be magnified massively on a much more aerodynamic car like the 3. I don't think there is much you can do here...of course get the bumper hood partial/full wrap in PPF and there are some clear film options for the exterior windshield, but not sure they are really worth the expense.

Not to state the obvious, but for my fellow Tesla owners (I also follow this advice in my Jeep Wrangler with almost flat windshield), DO NOT DRIVE BEHIND ANY TRUCK! This includes transport trucks, couriers,18 wheeler's, dump trucks and especially mixers. They have a profile that throws up rocks & gravel for 50-100' behind them. You will get chipped and possibly break a windscreen.

I always pass all trucks and refuse to drive behind them on a freeway (I will slow down or speed up).

Sorry, but what is the source for this statement?
For distances the most current data is from the UK:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla...r-higher-annual-mileages-owners-any-other-car

For driving habits, using speeding as a surrogate:
three-fourths-of-dutch-tesla-drivers-got-speeding-fines-last-year
for fun, there is this (not intended as serious):
Driver Takes His Tesla Model X P100D To 163 MPH And Gets A Ticket

There have been many corroborating anecdotes, but the Dutch one is one of the few that directly quantified the data.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and Puddles
DO NOT DRIVE BEHIND ANY TRUCK!

On my commute, this is impossible. Passing one truck will always place me behind another. And, a rock kicked up by any vehicle, traveling 60+ mph, will bounce and ricochet unpredictably for a quarter of a mile.

I had more broken windshields in my previous vehicle's (Forester) first year of ownership than I have with my Tesla, and my second Tesla windshield already has a star in it. I'm not going to have it fixed (auto glass shop said "star is too big to repair") or replaced until the cracks have propagated.

Rocks happen. It's not a Tesla thing.

Me. 2 more chips just happened a few minutes ago in the center of the windshield. I have never had some many pits in a windshield on a car that is less than 6 months old. Search here - plenty of complaints about glass quality.

I don't think your research design with an N of 1 would get funded.

Now, if you postulated an independent variable of something like "windshield area" and a dependent variable of "rock strikes", and compared glass manufacturers, maybe. Of course, you would need a large number of vehicle-miles on the same bit of road.

Actually I got a professional to come fix it the day after it chipped. He caused the larger crack once he inserted the resin.
No, unfortunately you've waited too long and now the windshield will need to be replaced.
This is why it's imperative to get it fixed immediately. Sorry for your luck man!
Like others have said, insist on OEM glass. Cheaper glass will chip even easier.

I am very skeptical that somehow Tesla windshields are weaker than any other but I would easily believe the aerodynamics of the car, low hood could allow more projectiles to whack it; had an old VW Rabbit Cabriolet (the square faced kind from way back) and windshield on that car went through a few rounds of replacement 1 spring after a particularly bad winter which left way too much cinder and gravel bits on the road. It was a challenge to keep far enough behind any vehicle since it seemed every cars' tires just tossed up window-breaking missiles at the car :(

My 3 has a repaired chip passenger side low, rock hit on a Sunday and glass repair truck got it that Monday which was good as the tiny spider lines of impending windshield replacement had started to show.

Reactions: KenC
St.Gobain makes the windshield glass, and all the other pieces too. They make the glass in my BMW and lots of other vehicles. I just think the Model 3 has a lower, more aero nose, and the windshield goes way, way down, giving you a great view of the front of the car. While that perspective enhances the perception of speed, it also makes the windshield more prone to road debris. It gets hit more often. More hits equals more cracks.
IMG_5801.jpeg

^^100% agree. My Audi and Porsche both use Saint Gobain Sekurit glass. While the OEMs might specify slightly different things for each windshield, I think it is borderline conspiracy theory (with no evidence) to think that Tesla would select glass more prone to chipping. These cars are designed to have very low Cd and also have expansive windshield to improve visibility, driver experience, and other factors. These design parameters simply subject the windshield to greater risk of getting hit with stuff. That is my theory anyways and I'm sticking to it :D

Reactions: KenC