Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock hit my windshield! Can it be fixed or new windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving on the Chicago highway this morning heard a loud sound. Looked around and had this on my windshield. So upset this car is a magnet for rocks or any debris on the roads. What can I do to fix it? Or do I need a new windshield from Tesla and what is the cost?
IMG_20200505_041823.jpg
IMG_20200505_040456.jpg
IMG_20200505_041830.jpg
IMG_20200505_041837.jpg
IMG_20200505_041847.jpg
IMG_20200505_042522.jpg

Yea I’m pretty bummed since I just had the same thing happen to me. Going to get it repaired on Thursday since it’s free through my insurance but not sure how bad it will look afterwards.

Thankfully it’s mostly out of my line of sight but a Tesla tech told me that in some states (like california(?)) if there are any chips/cracks on the driver side, it automatically has to be replaced instead of being repaired. Thankfully Washington doesn’t have that rule.
061A3A30-F04C-4269-A717-DA88BC4B8C67.jpeg
5E4DF907-2A0D-45DF-B15E-2A9EDF6B780D.jpeg
06989D8E-1FD8-4101-9D47-ED68ABB45F17.jpeg

Looks repairable to me. If it’s about the diameter of a quarter or so, you can get DIY repair kits at any auto parts stores. They are easy to use and I’ve had great success in several vehicles. Just follow the instructions, as they say, and you will hardly notice when it’s done. However, if you have an auto glass repair shop nearby, they do excellent work and I think they can repair larger cracks. Don’t forget to ask them for a discount too; the place near me gives a 10% discount just for asking. It’s even on their website.

Yea I’m pretty bummed since I just had the same thing happen to me. Going to get it repaired on Thursday since it’s free through my insurance but not sure how bad it will look afterwards.

Thankfully it’s mostly out of my line of sight but a Tesla tech told me that in some states (like california(?)) if there are any chips/cracks on the driver side, it automatically has to be replaced instead of being repaired.

I would be skeptical that a Tesla tech would be well familiarized with all the california vehicle codes. As written, there appears to be enough room for interpretation to drive a Gigafactory through, and there's no "automatic replacement" clause that I can see. I doubt anyone would think that your crack is enough to obstruct your view.

Driving on the Chicago highway this morning heard a loud sound. Looked around and had this on my windshield. So upset this car is a magnet for rocks or any debris on the roads. What can I do to fix it? Or do I need a new windshield from Tesla and what is the cost?View attachment 538858 View attachment 538859 View attachment 538860 View attachment 538861 View attachment 538862 View attachment 538863
I just had Safelight attempt to repair a similar nick in my Mazda's windshield. Unfortunately, they caused it to spread over about 12" so it got replaced.

No vehicle is a "magnet" for paint/glass damage - they all are susceptible to damage when driven. Tesla, however, is using glass that is more prone to damage compared to other vehicles.
Given how aerodynamic and low to the ground the nose is, I would guess that the Model 3 gets hit more often than other vehicles. But, the glass itself being more prone to damage seems odd. The mfr is St. Gobain. They make window glass for just about every auto mfr.

• Informative
Reactions: jdw and Mrcarcrazy
Yes that chip can easily be repaired by a professional. Although more pictures would've been helpful. KIDDING! lol
The first priority of any repair is to prevent the break from spreading into a larger crack. Any reputable shop will guarantee that from happening for the life of the windshield.
Second priority is the appearance after the repair. The sooner you get it repaired the better! And don't just go with the cheapest shop, reputation is important is you want a good looking repair. But also know that even the best repair technician is at the mercy or what the glass will allow him/her to achieve.
I'm in Oregon so I only know the applicable laws here, but as far as the "we can't repair a chip if it's in driver's line of sight" thing... that's just a line that glass repair shops use to upsell you and earn more money. This is because it's FAR more profitable for them to replace a windshield than the $60-$100 to repair it. They do this under the guise of "safety", but here in Oregon anyway you can get your chip repaired anywhere on the windshield as long as the repair is done reasonably well.

Reactions: brkaus
The Model 3 windshield does appears to be more prone to rock chip damage compare to my previous cars, I drive the same route for the past 5 years and after owning the Model 3 for 4 months it's already gotten over 20 chips and dings. Luckily only two are larger chips (one star and one bullseye, both smaller than what OP got), both I was able to repair with a kit bought on Amazon, I also used the kit to "fill in" the other 18 or 19 dings. I now keep one repair kit in my garage so as soon as a ding happens I'll fill it in immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy
i had a similar looking chip like that on another car. the official dealership did an epoxy-fill repair. the repair was very visible afterwards, so it was an eyesore.

if this thing is in your line of sight (looks too low to be), then you might consider paying out (the deductible?) for a replacement.

I hadn’t heard this. Source?
No source because it isn't true. Teslas tend to be driven more than other vehicles and often a bit more enthusiastically. However, construction areas, passing trucks with gravel or almost anything, some pebble that is thrown by a passing car; so many possibilities.

Luckily small chips can be quickly and easily repaired in any reputable glass shop. I have ended out with small chips on most of my cars, always with decent repairs at low cost.