Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock Is My Co-Pilot [Using a rock as a steering wheel weight]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always stay alert with hands on the wheel when using autopilot. But holding one side down gets tedious for long periods — not to mention the annoying blue lights. A dedicated counterweight is $50-80 with shipping from Alibaba (unavailable in the US).

I'm hiking near the Pacific Ocean in Torrey Pines, outside San Diego. The MYP is in Virginia. Hundreds of thousands of small stones form a long seawall. I pick up one: "Could this be a counterweight?" I pick up another: "Hmm...this might fit." I take it home.

Rock.png

Features & Benefits
  • Fits securely, stays in place
  • Easily and quickly installed or removed
  • Does not damage the wheel
  • Exact right weight
  • Can be place lower right or left
  • Complements the Zen interior
  • Cost: zero
  • Manufacturing time: 1,000,000 years
[Only downside I can think of: Could airbag deployment make it a deadly projectile?]

I always stay alert with hands on the wheel when using autopilot. But holding one side down gets tedious for long periods — not to mention the annoying blue lights. A dedicated counterweight is $50-80 with shipping from Alibaba (unavailable in the US).

I'm hiking near the Pacific Ocean in Torrey Pines, outside San Diego. The MYP is in Virginia. Hundreds of thousands of small stones form a long seawall. I pick up one: "Could this be a counterweight?" I pick up another: "Hmm...this might fit." I take it home.

View attachment 925941

Features & Benefits
  • Fits securely, stays in place
  • Easily and quickly installed or removed
  • Does not damage the wheel
  • Exact right weight
  • Can be place lower right or left
  • Complements the Zen interior
  • Cost: zero
  • Manufacturing time: 1,000,000 years
[Only downside I can think of: Could airbag deployment make it a deadly projectile?]
I thought that after the latest few updates the software wouldn’t let you use a weight. I think it wants torque in both directions.

Reactions: MitchMitch
*heads over to grab a bunch of rocks while composing for-sale postings on here, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist using his phone while yanking the steering wheel or scrolling the volume button every 26.478 seconds*

Thanks for the business idea! 🍻

I occasionally use a flashlight in a tube sock, tied to left side. By hanging down with some swing the force is less constant. It also lets you tug on it, because sometimes the car still blue-flashes and wants an input nonetheless. If there's a long straight part without bumps, you still need to tweak the wheel manually. But 95% of the time I still don't use it and I signal with the volume up down wheel.

• Disagree
Reactions: APotatoGod