Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec or PodPoint ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which 7kw untethered unit is more expensive ? As my installer is offering Rolec or PodPoint for the same price .

One thing to note my space is quite far away from the house (but still receives 2/3 bars from the WiFi)so would that better suit one vs the other?

Which 7kw untethered unit is more expensive ? As my installer is offering Rolec or PodPoint for the same price .

One thing to note my space is quite far away from the house (but still receives 2/3 bars from the WiFi)so would that better suit one vs the other?
Can’t comment on the PodPoint but the Rolec uses an inbuilt SIM card, not Wi-Fi.

Price wise, they are practically the same (£359 vs £365).

The Rolec app is nice too.

EE9F86B7-663D-4859-B2C7-A5D2146DD4FC.png

Last edited:
I got a Rolec and have to say I was very impressed. Only got the definite say-so from Tesla on the Friday that my car was arriving on the Monday and the Rolec installed (McNally Electric) arranged to be at my house Monday afternoon. Showed me how to work the app (ev.energy) which seamlessly smart charges at the cheapest times of the day when you tell it your tariff and it can ensure the battery is warmed up for whatever time you want.

Really impressed - I paid £360 fitted.

I got a quote for £391 fitted for Rolec Smart 32 amp(7.2 kw) including £85 ancillaries (I think switchgear, earth rod etc)

I have Rolec and think it looks nicer ;)

48837724942_1d6fcf57a3_z.jpg

I agree, but then I’m biased because I’ve just had the same one fitted in the same colour combo.

I was torn between the Rolec and Pod Point, there’s very little in it other than aesthetics.

Agree with all of the positive comments about the app, I just need a car to plug it into now :D

Have a real think if you want tethered or not if you still got time to change your mind.

Getting a charge cable out of boot and hooking up etc is far more involved when its raining than just unhooking and plugging in. Of course, you could get a dedicated charge cable and keep it permanently attached, but they are not cheap for good ones.

Reactions: JCremonini
Have a real think if you want tethered or not if you still got time to change your mind.

Getting a charge cable out of boot and hooking up etc is far more involved when its raining than just unhooking and plugging in. Of course, you could get a dedicated charge cable and keep it permanently attached, but they are not cheap for good ones.

thanks for the advice. I was a bit worried about a long trailing cable and having to wind it up each time. Also, do you know if the cable ‘locks on’ whilst it’s charging? Just wondering if some silly prankster will be able to come along and disconnect it without me knowing? Thanks.

One thing to note my space is quite far away from the house (but still receives 2/3 bars from the WiFi) so would that better suit one vs the other?

Not relevant to the charger issue but if you are still waiting for the car you may just find that 2 or 3 bars of Wifi is not enough if the car reception is as poor as mine! Every other device gets max signal in the same location if my car is to get 2 or 3 bars.