Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rolling back the miles on the odometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at buying a Tesla Model 3 in South Australia, but SA is looking at applying the first EV tax in the World of 2.5c/km. It got squashed last week, but now the Victoria state is looking at applying the same tax!!! Australia AND its states have NO EV incentives, so ruled by Far right Media Moguls!!!!!
If one state applies the EV tax, then all will apply it!!!

Is there a way of reducing my normal 20K km/yr to 5 K Km/yr!!!!

OP, R U Russian?

Óratekerés, we even have a word for this activity in our dump in Central Europe, because it is so widespread.

There is one of these guys in every town, with a laptop and a USB to OBD2 cable they will roll you back.

It started after they tore down the Berlin Wall and used cars from the West started going East instead of the scrapyards. Scores of people died until legislation was introduced prohibiting imports of cars more than 10yo.

any hackers here that can assist in rolling back those Digital miles? Anyone?....

1 year and 4 months in of ownership and I’m over 40k miles already.. ugh. At this rate, I will reach my the end of my warranty in a few months. I think I at least had the major common stuff repaired already, door handle, MCU screen, and drivers seat. but going into year two with no bumper to bumper warranty scores the crap outta me

Given how much you drive, you really need to buy the Tesla ESA before the time/mileage limits kick in soon after your regular warranty expires:

Extended Service Agreement

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Given how much you drive, you really need to buy the Tesla ESA before the time/mileage limits kick in soon after your regular warranty expires:

Extended Service Agreement
That’s literally the opposite of good advice, buying an extended warranty in his case would be a huge waste of money.
You’re bad at this whole advice thing.

That’s literally the opposite of good advice, buying an extended warranty in his case would be a huge waste of money.
You’re bad at this whole advice thing.

Hmmm.

Let's see.

16 months = 40k miles

So in another 10k miles he'll be out of the original warranty, or about another 25% of 16 months of time, so, in summary: he's got about FOUR MORE MONTHS of warranty left.

If he shells out a few thousand for the ESA he'll have the car covered for ANOTHER 50k miles of use, during which things are likely to break, fail, and/or malfunction.

If he has the Tesla ESA to fix them, he'll be out nearly nothing.

If nothing breaks, he has only the peace of mind knowing that if something had broken, it would have very likely been covered, to include towing IIRC. (And he contributed a few extra thousand dollars to a company whose mission is to accelerate our transition to sustainable transportation.)

What's not to like, exactly?

How is this bad advice?

Reactions: drklain
Hmmm.

Let's see.

16 months = 40k miles

So in another 10k miles he'll be out of the original warranty, or about another 25% of 16 months of time, so, in summary: he's got about FOUR MORE MONTHS of warranty left.

If he shells out a few thousand for the ESA he'll have the car covered for ANOTHER 50k miles of use, during which things are likely to break, fail, and/or malfunction.

If nothing breaks, he has only the peace of mind knowing that if something had broken, it would have very likely been covered, to include towing IIRC. (And he contributed a few extra thousand dollars to a company whose mission is to accelerate our transition to sustainable transportation.)

How is this bad advice?

As someone who has driven ~30k miles or more per year for the past 15 years, over many cars including a Model S, I can say definitively that an extended warranty would have NEVER paid for itself on any of my vehicles.

High miles from long trips and extended commuting just doesn’t wear a car the same way. Many types of failures are time-bound as components age vs. mileage bound, and those are the sorts of things that an ESA can be a decent value for. MCU is a good example of that on Model S/X.

In every case, including my Model S, I would have blown through the entire $4k ESA in about 15 months without a single claim to show for it.

The ESA is not a good value for people with high annual mileage. Full stop.

Hmmm.

Let's see.

16 months = 40k miles

How is this bad advice?
Ucmndd basically said what I was going to say.
So yeah, bad advice. And you don’t eat steak! Clearly a commie in disguise.

Reactions: 2101Guy
SA is looking at applying the first EV tax in the World of 2.5c/km.
Yes, the OP is over two years old, but this post is important, in Australia and elsewhere.
What a disgraceful idea- penalise EVs more than other cars.
A "how far you drive" tax on all vehicles would be closer to "fair" (if there is such a thing), but penalising a technology that benefits everyone is outrageous, nearly egregious.

Ucmndd basically said what I was going to say.

Put another way, a $4k ESA that covers 50,000 miles is 8 cents per mile. My energy cost is a little more than 4 cents per mile, and tires cost me 3 cents a mile. So the ESA essentially doubles my operating costs in the likely event where I have no covered claims for the ~16 months it would last me.

Put another way, a $4k ESA that covers 50,000 miles is 8 cents per mile. My energy cost is a little more than 4 cents per mile, and tires cost me 3 cents a mile. So the ESA essentially doubles my operating costs in the likely event where I have no covered claims for the ~16 months it would last me.
But also as you said, lots of miles in short amount of time is not a recipe for breakdowns.

Reactions: ucmndd
certain things will still wear...seat covers, saggy seat cushions, interior parts (Lord knows Tesla uses some low grade plastics) that no longer fit well (not like they fit well to start with, but im saying), UV damage to dashboards, worn armrests and worn steering wheel leather, worn rubber seals around windows, faded exterior bits, worn suspension bushings and other steering/suspension components.

Im guessing there are quite a few things that still age with years and miles on an EV...

ANd yes, I realize that any and everything can be replaced, fixed, repaired, touched up, etc. Goes for both ICE and EV..

clock_hands_spinning_backward_lg_wm.gif