Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Sun Shade - recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed this shade moments ago. It was an easy install and coverage is good and matches the interior well. Its 80 degrees right now and 125 degrees in the car sitting in the driveway. It doesn’t appear to make a temperature difference. Maybe while driving with the AC on it may reduce the time to cool the interior? It definitely reduces the sun glare.

I have this one, and it's great. However, it was ~$40 when I bought it a couple months ago. Not sure why the extreme price jump.

bought the same one for $36 few months ago and don't even notice its there now. it also comes with an opaque cover but not using it. 2 piece design looks good and no sag. its $40 now after coupon. may remove it in the winter though but will have to see.

its same one that tesmanian is selling for $70.

If you're looking for a roof sunshade for your Tesla, you can check out Tesery's collection of Tesla accessories, specifically sunshade products. Tesery offer a range of sunshades designed to fit various Tesla models, providing protection from the sun and helping to keep your car cooler on hot days. You can explore selection to find the right sunshade for your Tesla's roof.

I live in the Deep South where it's already hitting 90F. Checked the app once to see if my 6 week old MY was finished charging and saw the interior temperature at 144F. This cannot be good for the long term of the interior. Ended getting this from Amazon.
Reevaa roof shade and windshield shade bundle

Hottest I've seen since installing the roof and windshield shades is 120F. Still warm but not stupid hot. First thing you notice taking it out of the box is that it has some heft to it. This isn't some lightweight junk. Installation was easy with the printed and video directions. Color match for the roof looks very close to me. But then I'm a dude and only see the 16 basic Microsoft colors. Fit in the roof is perfect. No gaps. Zero sag. Not cheap but it works.

I saw a YouTube channel from some blogger about sunshades and he kept topping the last one with something better until he arrived at the motorised version.

One back from that was the MacDaddy of foldup silver backed screens with clips you leave in place and magnets in the screen. 1 person install in seconds. That's the one I want. Neglected to bookmark it!

I think that's the one. I found the home page of owtrifogothowtospellit. They do free shipping to Australia Canada and US. No shipping at all to NZ on the web order form.

Feeling a bit left out so I emailed them per their request for requests to ship more countries free. See what happens.

This time of year here it's more use to keep the heat in. I wonder if it will stay up when flipped upside down.

Come to think of it get two and sandwich them would be ideal with an extra air pocket. The mags would hopefully stick two as good as one?

I assume the mags are actually in the clips and the frame has some carbon steel in it.

Reactions: BitJam
This time of year here it's more use to keep the heat in. I wonder if it will stay up when flipped upside down.

Come to think of it get two and sandwich them would be ideal with an extra air pocket. The mags would hopefully stick two as good as one?
I am using a product called EVglass from EVinsulate. I use it year-round. If I didn't need help installing it then I might swap it out for an opaque screen in the summer but the EVglass helps a lot in the summer too. One of the reasons to swap it out for an opaque screen is to make it easier to sleep-in while sleeping in the car. But I plan to start using a tent this summer to accommodate my dog.

EVglass is made from clear polycarbonate and makes the roof double pane. It's made in Canada and is designed to insulate the cabin in the cold winter. They say that when combined with extra insulation for the battery, their products cut winter-time range loss in half. I think this is true.

EVglass also helps keep the cabin cooler in the summer. The OEM roof already blocks most of the sunlight but this makes it get hot. The air gap helps prevent this heat from getting into the cabin. Ideally we'd be able to combine the EVglass with an opaque screen but I haven't figured out how to do that. There is a screen that attaches with suction cups (NOT TO BE USED WHILE DRIVING) but the suction cups didn't seem to stick to the polycarbonate.

BTW: the two-piece wire-frame screens are pretty easy to install and uninstall. Only takes a few minutes (after you figure it out). The mag stuff seems very cool but if you're only changing the screen seasonally it may not be worth it. If you are changing it daily or even weekly then mag is the way to go IMO.

I don't know if the benefit of a 2nd screen would be worth the hassle. Of course, your watt-hours/km may vary.

I live in the high desert at an elevation of 1.8 km. The sun is absolutely brutal here. I have a set of insulated window shades (made from something like Reflectix). They attach with suction cups. I keep the one for the driver's door in the car and use it to block the window when I'm sitting in the car for more then a few minutes and the sun comes in through that tinted window. I don't feel the same need to block the roof when I'm using the EVglass. Of course, this is somewhat subjective.