Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber seal/flashing between falcon wing doors and roof.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model X . Live in Phoenix. Noticed the rubber flashing that is on the falcon wing doors, where it comes flush to the rooftop is eroding away, likely from the hot temps. See pictures. Is this something that other have seen and have been able to replace/repair without replacing the windows/door? The Tesla dealershipdid not seem to think that they can fix or replace just the part.

303B2A01-D17A-4A6B-96A6-3BF05F91E6D6.jpeg

31DC196E-682F-48BA-A1FE-180BABD256DC.jpeg

6D102181-09CA-4F2B-AA40-A6707EE77074.jpeg

75B30D2B-C0CC-41BF-B59D-20C982E9A149.jpeg

Same issue with my 2017 Model X that was in Phoenix area for some of its life. There was water ingress too, so Tesla charged me almost $3500 so far to replace the roof panels and all the seals - and there is still a slight ingress. I have another service appointment to address the ingress issue still and will let you all know. I was told they updated the seal material as this is an obvious design flaw. My Model X had less that 8K miles on it when I noticed the seals were in terrible shape (similar to pictures in original post) earlier this year.

Been down this road and it ain't cheap. You cannot purchase the seal separate from the glass. I was also told that the deteriorated part in the pictures above is more cosmetic than anything else. It does not prevent water leakage even if new ias it does not seal that tight. Other portions of the same seal are supposed to prevent water and wind noise. My seal ripped about 6 inches from the outer edge. I glue it back together with gel crazy glue. Not real pretty but functional. I now understand that the reason mine ripped is due to incorrect alighnment of the roof glass/seal. Shims are supposed to be used to make sure the flap of the seal is lying flat. So if anyone is having the roof glass/seal replaced, make sure the seal is lying flat. Sometimes you have to remove and shim the glass a couple of time to get it right.

Been down this road and it ain't cheap. You cannot purchase the seal separate from the glass. I was also told that the deteriorated part in the pictures above is more cosmetic than anything else. It does not prevent water leakage even if new ias it does not seal that tight. Other portions of the same seal are supposed to prevent water and wind noise. My seal ripped about 6 inches from the outer edge. I glue it back together with gel crazy glue. Not real pretty but functional. I now understand that the reason mine ripped is due to incorrect alighnment of the roof glass/seal. Shims are supposed to be used to make sure the flap of the seal is lying flat. So if anyone is having the roof glass/seal replaced, make sure the seal is lying flat. Sometimes you have to remove and shim the glass a couple of time to get it right.
Thanks for the tip on this. I have my Model X going back in to a different service center because I'm not happy with the result of the last service center replacing the roof glass and seals - black sealant residue left and seals are not even as you suggest. Paying over $3500, I expect better results/workmanship. Not to mention, there is still a slight leak (water ingress).

Attachments

• IMG_7160.jpeg
    IMG_7160.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7159.jpeg
    IMG_7159.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7158.jpeg
    IMG_7158.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 89
Yup this is just one of the inevitable things you have to deal with on Model X have had 2 X and happened on both. Didn't even replace on second one cuz I know will only last couple years then start to tear and crumble sigh.

Hi there. I have the same issue with my 2018 MX. Were you able to find another way to make the repair? Replacing the glass panel completely seems like a very expensive and wasteful option.
Did you ever find another solution or seal manufacturer that can solve his issue? I have a 2017 and have the same issue! 2.5k is way too steep…the glass doesn’t get manufactured with the rubber on it…there MUST be a way to detach it and replace it with a new surround instead of changing the glass!!!

Did you ever find another solution or seal manufacturer that can solve his issue? I have a 2017 and have the same issue! 2.5k is way too steep…the glass doesn’t get manufactured with the rubber on it…there MUST be a way to detach it and replace it with a new surround instead of changing the glass!!!
Yah problem is Tesla doesn't sell the part so maybe you can find some kind of automotive rubber trim and adhesive to bond it to the glass it is pretty ridiculous they just replace the entire glass did it on my first one went bad again in couple years so when it happened on next one I just left it no point in replacing will jus go bad in a few years sigh

Not yet unfortunately. There is a business opportunity for someone here.

Reactions: Bacalao
I have a 2020 X I started to park outside (garage no longer available) and I noticed that the rubber seals don't sit flush to the metal. Water has got to be getting inside and this also allows dirt/sand etc to get in there.

I don't know why this is so far off...Anyone else have the same issue? Will service fix it?

IMG_6076.jpg