Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumble strip sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

New member: I have had my P90DL for a bit over a week. I love the car. Absolutely amazing.

Every once in a while the car will make a sound from the front that sounds like i'm driving over a weak rumble strip. It lasts for 0.5 to 1s or so. It doesn't happen under acceleration, just under weak regen.

It starts and stops suddenly. It's fairly faint. I think i can feel it through the steering as well. I drive the car not in range mode and with ludicrous on all the time.

Normal?

What you're describing sounds like the Lane Departure Warning feature. If the car thinks you are veering outside the boundaries of your lane, it will make three quick vibrations that you'll feel through the steering column, much like you'd feel if you drove over a rumble strip or "Botts' Dots" in the road.

As the manual notes, Lane Departure Warning isn't always accurate and "you may experience unnecessary or invalid warnings" in various situations. When it starts to become annoying, it can be turned off under Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Lane Assist.

Of course, it might be something else entirely, but I'm thinking it's this.

And congratulations on your new P90DL, and first post! :smile:

Hi All!

New member: I have had my P90DL for a bit over a week. I love the car. Absolutely amazing.

Every once in a while the car will make a sound from the front that sounds like i'm driving over a weak rumble strip. It lasts for 0.5 to 1s or so. It doesn't happen under acceleration, just under weak regen.

It starts and stops suddenly. It's fairly faint. I think i can feel it through the steering as well. I drive the car not in range mode and with ludicrous on all the time.

Normal?
as others have noted it is the lane departure warning you are feeling/hearing. this feature can be turned off. fwiw, I like it and I leave it on.

It is the lane departure warning. In my opinion it is too sensitive, particularly for city or neighborhood driving. You can turn it off.

I get falses all the time, even when I am no where near a lane marker. Sealed cracks on the road will set it off.

I wrote to Tesla, requesting a lower sensitivity option for this, started a poll, and even made a video. (The video is in the next to last post, on the fourth page of the thread.) Pretty sure a lot of the people who voted "no" in the poll were confusing lane departure warning with blind spot warning.

Lane Departure Warning Sensitivity Options Poll

I wrote to Tesla, requesting a lower sensitivity option for this, started a poll, and even made a video. (The video is in the next to last post, on the fourth page of the thread.) Pretty sure a lot of the people who voted "no" in the poll were confusing lane departure warning with blind spot warning.

Lane Departure Warning Sensitivity Options Poll

Noticed you said you wrote to Tesla requesting a lower sensitivity option.

On my refreshed Model S, I feel like I can BARELY notice the vibration in the steering wheel when lane departure is activated. Is that normal? I think it should have a strong vibration.

I don't even get any warning chimes, etc.

Noticed you said you wrote to Tesla requesting a lower sensitivity option.

On my refreshed Model S, I feel like I can BARELY notice the vibration in the steering wheel when lane departure is activated. Is that normal? I think it should have a strong vibration.

I don't even get any warning chimes, etc.
That's because it doesn't vibrate the wheel. It's only a sound.

Lane departure rumble works. It is exactly what happened while driving yesterday. Some times it went off in inadvertently perhaps because of a crack in the road but other times we tested it, purposely pulled over the line and the lane departure rubble sounded and I could feel it in the wheel. I am new to Tesla and am glad my car is not broken, just doing what it is supposed to do.