Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gez, will ya quit it! I just got mine!
Ok, maybe "long in the tooth" was taking it too far. I LOVE the Model S, but it would be nice to have just minor updates to the styling inside and out to modernize it. Look at a 911... basically the same style for decades, but they have given it minor and major facelifts here and there. Keeps it fresh for new models, and gives the early models more charm.

I think people should not have very high expectations for the Model 3. A car is a complex items involving many parts that you just CANNOT get for cheaper compared to other manufacturers... Just go and sit in a Volt and see what you get for that money in a EV... GM is not stupid, Nissan is not stupid; they hire highly intelligent people to try to make the best given their constraints...

Look at BMW, and see what you get for 35k... a 320i with a super weak engine with almost no options, no leather, no backup camera, no nav, no anything... I fully expect the base Model 3 to be that. Sure you can equip your 3 series really well with better engine, full leather, variable M suspension, etc, but you know what, that car costs 60+k in non-M form and 80K+ as a BMW M3.

So ya, you can get a Model 3 with 400hp, dual engine, 250 mile range, nav, camera, nappa leather, etc, but that ll cost more than a 70D, just like how a BMW M3 can cost a lot more than a 535 or even 550.

I expect the base Model 3 to have 150-175 hp single engine, 200 mile range, and pretty much nothing inside. You get the Tesla shape and badge, but no big screen, basically no tech, no camera, no sunroof, no SC, nothing, and all are extra, which is similar to what BMW does...

So Model 3's will range between say 35 and 85k depending on what equipment you add (including different battery and engine choices), just like you can do with the BMW 3 series / M3.

Why shouldn't we have high expectations from Model 3 ?
I am aware that it will not be fully loaded at 35k and I don't even want that, but I want it to be a great car !

Elon Musk stated a few years ago that because the car market is already taken by brands that been here like forever and are very trusted, like AUDI,BMW,MB etc., if you are a new car company, your cars can't be worse, or not even same quality as them to enter the market, your cars would have to be far much better (take MS or MX for example, they both have some tehnology that was never seen before in a production car, only in concepts).As the Model 3 will fight bmw 3 series (and C-class and A4) I expect the Model 3 to be much better than a 3 series, C-class, A4 in every aspect:interior/exterior design , tehnology , standard equipment, and so on.
As TESLA is a new car company, people would have to choose model 3 over 3-series,c-class,a4, and for this model 3 will have to be great!(just like the MS,and MX are for the luxury car segment)

As Model 3 will be their first trully mass production car, they really can't go wrong with it in any aspects
So yeah, I do have high expectations from model 3 !

There is nothing long in the tooth about the Model S. Ridiculous comment -- the car is beautiful and looks better than the X (IMO).

Ok, maybe "long in the tooth" was taking it too far. I LOVE the Model S, but it would be nice to have just minor updates to the styling inside and out to modernize it. Look at a 911... basically the same style for decades, but they have given it minor and major facelifts here and there. Keeps it fresh for new models, and gives the early models more charm.

Is there a legal reason why no manufacturer offers a dashcam?

Chevy offers a dashcam in the Corvette. Why would there be any legal concerns with it?

I obviously don't know whether there will be a facelift or not. On the one hand, it makes sense to align the styling of the nose with the Model X, and there are a number of features on the Model X that presumably will migrate over to the Model S.

On the other hand, facelifts take engineering resources, and I assume most everyone over there has been beavering away on the Model X (and will now have to start working on the Model 3 in earnest). Does it make sense to devote the time/money to doing what is essentially a cosmetic upgrade? Only Tesla knows the answer to that.

I think the car looks fine. The reason why a facelift might usually be needed for something in high volume like a Camry is there are hundreds of thousands produced a year and people want to be seen driving something 'different' than the old one at some point. There are still so few Model S cars out there I think there is less or a need.

This^ is a good point. Unlike most cars, even exotic cars, where a new design is released at full sales volume and then trends flat, the model S has had exponential growth. So even if it's been around for a few years, most MS have been sold in the past year or 18 months. Thus in terms of what you see on the street, the design is only a year or 18 months old and does not look stale to potential buyers.

Chevy offers a dashcam in the Corvette. Why would there be any legal concerns with it?

I obviously don't know whether there will be a facelift or not. On the one hand, it makes sense to align the styling of the nose with the Model X, and there are a number of features on the Model X that presumably will migrate over to the Model S.

On the other hand, facelifts take engineering resources, and I assume most everyone over there has been beavering away on the Model X (and will now have to start working on the Model 3 in earnest). Does it make sense to devote the time/money to doing what is essentially a cosmetic upgrade? Only Tesla knows the answer to that.

Didn't know about the Corvette. Just wondering as I would think it would be a lucrative factory option but almost no one offers it.

There is nothing long in the tooth about the Model S. Ridiculous comment -- the car is beautiful and looks better than the X (IMO).
I think it looks MUCH better than the X! To me, the X was a "Wow! It's new! and those doors!" I think when I first saw it the nostalgia of the DeLorean was playing with me. After some thought, though, I wouldn't want those doors simply due to more likelihood of failure. Also, from the back, the X looks like a chunky S. The S is what I call a sexy car, and that's why I compared to the 911, a car that hasn't changed a whole lot in half a century, but has had minor enough updates to keep it fresh and new.

If the 3 doesn't blow my socks off in the looks department, and doesn't offer some close to Model S performance, then I will definitely turn back to the S.

Sorry meant next year! Do you have a link to the person that said their service advisor said a refresh was coming?

No, it was in a thread either here or at TM forums. I do remember reading it, though! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Spreading this kind of rumor without any facts to back it up (and "a service advisor saying there will be a facelift" is not facts) hurts Tesla, because it slows the order rate.

If you want to hurt the company, continue spreading this rumor.

If you don't want to hurt the company, stop spreading it.

Oh please! We are supposed to censor ourselves for the greater good of Tesla? Pffft!

Just wondering as I would think it [dashcam] would be a lucrative factory option but almost no one offers it.
I definitely want a dashcam in my future Tesla orders. Integrated with the 17" etc. and USB SSD for extraction of the videos would be great. If they could mimic the BlackVue functional but with Tesla quality, I'd pay $2000 for it.

Here is my list on why Tesla won't make a major change to the Model S in '16 or '17.

1. Model X is overwhelming production capacity right now why cause a new rush of orders for a redesigned MS.
2. Model 3 is going to do the same thing when it is released.
3. Design Engineers, R&D, suppliers have been so focused on bringing the MX and M3 to market who the heck would have time to do a major MS redesign.
4. Even though Telsa isn't your typical car manufacturer but American car companies typically roll at least 5 years before a redesign. European and Asian even longer. If Telsa holds true to that in any way shape or form it'd be 2018 at earliest.
5. Why in the heck would you redesign a car that is getting accolades and awards (Car and Driver) year after year and is increasing in sales volume.

I'm sorry, but they just have significantly bigger fish to fry. "Refreshing" a car that most people have still never seen is so far down on the priority list I don't know where to start. After the Model 3 is in production (2017-2018) you might see something, but I highly doubt they'd do anything like that this spring. They've finally got the Model S to a point where they can manufacture it fairly smoothly and hopefully, at some point at a profit. Why throw a wrench in the works?

A new front bumper or an upgraded center console screen is not going to get ICEV owners to suddenly forget about "range anxiety" and all of the other hypothetical problems they foresee with an EV, and Elon and team know that. Save the time, effort, and expense and actually do something that will help convert ICEV owners to EV.

The focus right now is on fully autonomous driving and 500+ mile range battery packs, not front bumpers and headlights.