Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As previously discussed on prior threads. Elon indicated long ago that the cycle life would be similar to BMW seven year cycle. Why would anything else happen? I see no creditable arguments other than making pieces the same between X and S. This is not something that will show on the outside except in color choices or maybe the grill/nosecone.

...and those cars typically get a mid-cycle refresh at model year 4, which is what the S is hitting about now.

But massive revamps? No, don't think so. (I voted with my wallet...)

I think a minor facelift is due in 2016. These are minor revisions, nothing major to the frame or structural components. An updated bumper / nose, updated side mirrors with cameras, updated auto pilot sensors, LED headlights in the same style as the current lights, etc.

Who in the hell is going to pay 4x price for Model S when the Model 3 comes out....
Where do you get that figure from? The base price of a Model S now is about twice what is predicted to be the base price of a Model 3. The difference in range, size, features, etc. could certainly support that. What is the difference in price between a Mercedes C class and S class, or between a BMW 3 series and 7 series?
edit- posted the same time as above. Great minds think alike.

Who in the hell is going to pay 4x price for Model S when the Model 3 comes out....

I don't know why anyone thinks the model3 will be anywhere close to a modelS from and luxury and performance standpoint. It won't, plain and simple... It will fit a $40k market segment. 0-60 in 7 seconds and electronics and luxury on par with a base 3 Series BMW. It's the same poor argument people make discussing a 3 series vs 5 vs 7

I guess we'll see..

We will see, but if I was a betting man, I'd say there was a 0% chance they drop the S when the 3 comes out. It makes no logical sense. There is no way the 3 competes with the S in terms of performance, range, luxury, etc. If they could build a $40k S with the same features, performance, luxury, etc - don't you think they'd do it? The 3 will have to make compromises to hit $35k.

Make no mistake, there's nothing luxurious about the S. It's expensive because of the tech. Tech which will be drastically more economic when the 3 rolls around. I just don't see people buying the S at that point. As an S owner, it concerns me, I'll probably be looking to trade it in on or near the announcement of the 3. Hoping the resale market doesn't plummet though..

Make no mistake, there's nothing luxurious about the S. It's expensive because of the tech. Tech which will be drastically more economic when the 3 rolls around. I just don't see people buying the S at that point. As an S owner, it concerns me, I'll probably be looking to trade it in on or near the announcement of the 3. Hoping the resale market doesn't plummet though..

I agree that the S is not an overly luxurious car. Much more the tech than the lux that appeals for it.

But I think it's clear that the S and the 3 are in different market segments, even if the top of the 3 will overlap the bottom of the S in all likelihood.

I guess by then Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche will have competing cars so Tesla will have to up the game in the interior department. I am sure way before that happens we will have as standard some way to plug in a SSD for media storage and conceal it without having unsightly cables and wires dangling all over the yacht floor. I wish they'd make available the wood trim option offered in the Model X in the Model S. That and the ventilated seats should be easy to do.

With the larger skateboard the S with upgraded batteries could have significantly more range then the Model 3. That alone will attract buyers.
I'm in agreement with others that there is zero chance they drop the S.

If you don't think the S is high end, you are going to be seriously disappointed with the 3. People are having delusions of grandeur if you think a few years is going to make the 3 half the price and better than the S.

Wow, some of the comments are just silly (stupid actually). The Model 3 is an ECONOMY version of a Tesla. It's being dumbed down as much as possible to make it a $35,000 car. Already been stated that it will not have the 17" screen nor most of the features currently standard on the Model S. At best, it's a nice looking "Tesla style" car with basic features necessary for the car to function. No air suspension, no auto pilot, no power lift gate, etc, etc. Model 3 is being built on the cheap to appeal to the mass market. Model S is not built for the mass market and appeals to an entirely different group of potential buyers.

To say that Model 3 will end production of the Model S is just ridiculous. The Model S (and now Model X) are the marquee cars used to develop all of the technology and will remain that way. And do you think these rich, millionaires and celebrity types are going to buy a BMW 3 series sized car??? LOL, not a chance in hell.

I would predict that a fully optioned Model 3 will be priced close to a base Model S.

Tesla will cover the total price point from $35,000 to $150,000 and everything in between.

Most of the other manufacturers do the same. Porsche is a great example, abeit with no entry level model.

Wow, some of the comments are just silly (stupid actually). The Model 3 is an ECONOMY version of a Tesla. It's being dumbed down as much as possible to make it a $35,000 car. Already been stated that it will not have the 17" screen nor most of the features currently standard on the Model S. At best, it's a nice looking "Tesla style" car with basic features necessary for the car to function. No air suspension, no auto pilot, no power lift gate, etc, etc. Model 3 is being built on the cheap to appeal to the mass market. Model S is not built for the mass market and appeals to an entirely different group of potential buyers.

To say that Model 3 will end production of the Model S is just ridiculous. The Model S (and now Model X) are the marquee cars used to develop all of the technology and will remain that way. And do you think these rich, millionaires and celebrity types are going to buy a BMW 3 series sized car??? LOL, not a chance in hell.

All Tesla vehicles will have autopilot going forward. It's one of Elon's goals, to make transport safer. That's likely also the reason for the minimal sensors of the S and X autopilot compared to current competitors. Lastly, the model 3 must compete with the BMW 3 series, as it is the Tesla Motors goal to make it compelling to buyers that would never have thought of owning an electric car. So, while luxury is not likely to be had, exceptional range and utility will be. The model S and X were a means to an end, just as the roadster was.