Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour; european Model 3 will have ccs and superchargers liquid cooled cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They can put CCS on the 3 without putting CCS on the superchargers, in most areas outside of North America (the Type 2 / Type 2 CCS areas). Tesla already uses a modified Type 2 connector in those regions and so adding CCS capability just means adding the CCS portion of the connector (3 has room for this, current S and X don't), and additional contactors (to switch DC not just connected/disconnected to the Type 2 connector, but also the CCS portion).

Adding actual Type 2 CCS to superchargers may require either connectors that can retract the CCS portion so that the Tesla modified Type 2 can still plug into S/X vehicles, adding unique stalls that only work on newer vehicles like the 3 (and presumably future S/X with CCS), or multiple connectors on some or all stalls...

From the rumor, the reason to add CCS connectors is for Model 3, which will have CCS port. While they could save a buck and only enable DCFC using CCS, this would mean no existing superchargers would work with Model 3, and they'd need to retrofit all locations (and realistically all stalls as the majority of Teslas on the road will eventually be 3/Y).

The only reason I can see this happening is if some legal gotcha forced a purely vanilla CCS (not Tesla modified type 2 w/ CCS) port on the 3.

Also, I don't see liquid cooling being added to all these chargers without more work done to upgrade the electrical infrastructure (cables in the grounds, upgraded AC/DC rectifiers, etc) for higher output, and of course fitting new pedestal covers that contain the tanks (at least, I hope they're not just bolting on something on top, as that would be ugly compared to all new pedestal covers with integrated space for the tanks on top). Merely tossing a liquid resevoir on top and cooling the cable to the vehicle doesn't seem like it would be enough, electrically... unless all these locations were wired with (for the time) oversized conductors.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Tesla should have added a second charging port for the US that’s lockable. I don’t like rude Prius Plug in drivers unplugging me to charge their gas cars.
I have used public L2 once with our Tesla, and that was mostly to demonstrate public charging to visiting family. I feel fortunate that I can leave those charging stations to people with small battery EVs.

I'm pretty sure you can find a Prius driver who will swap cars with you, even up. Then you will both be fortunate.

So you’re saying that it’s ok to unplug me because i have a more expensive Model 3 than a Prius Plug In? You’re solely basing off the “fortunate aspect” by the car, not by the distance it can be traveled based on fuel type. Which is what “charging” is based on and what this was referring to.

• Disagree
Reactions: cizUK
So you’re saying that it’s ok to unplug me because i have a more expensive Model 3 than a Prius Plug In? You’re solely basing off the “fortunate aspect” by the car, not by the distance it can be traveled based on fuel type. Which is what “charging” is based on.
No, I said if you feel less fortunate than a Prius owner, you are in luck.

Why are you using public L2 EVSEs ?

No, I said if you feel less fortunate than a Prius owner, you are in luck.

Why are you using public L2 EVSEs ?

Yes. Less fortunate in the aspect that i cannot drive 500 miles at once compared to his gas tank, where he thought it’s ok to charge his 12 mile battery more so than me.

Because I was parked in a parking structure that had it there and I was at 89miles left on the battery. I could have made it home but it was there and available. Why not?

To help avoid situations where small battery cars are either
  1. Forced to seek another place to charge
  2. Stranded
  3. Forced to use petrol

Stupid.
1. He doesn’t need to charge. And can go home to change too

2. Has a gas engine. Won’t get stranded. Where as i can.

3. And your point? Use Petro. He bought the car with an engine like many other people.

There's been a solution to your L2 locking problem for years : Review: Tesla Model S J1772 Charger Lock

I'd expect that since it goes over the J1772 portion that it should still work with the Model 3.

TL;DR The J1772 adapter will be locked to the car when charging just like any other Tesla charging cable/device. The J1772 side however can normally just be disconnected whenever. This gizmo provides something for the J1772 cable connector's built in latching mechanism to latch onto, so it can't be removed until you remove the J1772 adapter from the car, and thus the J1772 cable can't be removed until you're done with it.

Tesla would be crazy not to put in Type 2 CCS as long as the non-CCS portion can remain their modified Type 2 for supercharging. That way it could use both Supercharger network and CCS chargers. For North America this isn't so easy but for Type 2 regions it should be easy on the 3, just add the extra DC pins, extra set of contactors, and software to handle the interfacing.

Indeed. And it seems like it should be a trivial wiring change: combo pins are DC only. Open circuit unless there's power flowing. They should just be able to wire them straight into the wires they currently use for DC without affecting anything.

The only reason not to have done this before was that S/X didn't have space for the combo pins. Model 3 does.

Reactions: jdbob
I think the key word in this report is "Germany". Germany has been trying to push all high power chargers to have CCS support. It might just be a German thing, and not mean that Model 3 *requires* CCS.
You are right in that Germany is trying to push CCS, but it is a part of the EU directive, so it *should* be the same all across the EU/EEA region, but yes, the exact wording off the law-text may differ from country to country.