Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour of free premium for leases cars ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my LR from LEX 15th Dec 2021, mine says expires 1st May.

Where is the consistency??

It's getting really difficult lately to recommend Tesla's.
The consistency is that when you bought your car the LR was only coming with 30 days free premium like everyone else so when this change has happened then yours stops on May 1st like everyone else.

Those who got a LR or Performance when it came with 1 year free premium will keep that until the year is up.

Very consistent.

Reactions: btc1k and MrBadger
Looks like the fun is over. Just had this email. Zen lease.

Starting May 1, 2022, Premium Connectivity will require a paid subscription of £ 9.99 per month unless you are still in your trial period.

Premium Connectivity provides the ability to access all connectivity features over cellular, in addition to Wi-Fi. By continuing with Premium Connectivity, you will be able to access features that require data usage—including streaming music and media, live traffic visualization and more.

You can subscribe at any time via the ‘Upgrades’ section in the Tesla app. If you do not subscribe by April 30, 2022, your vehicle will be set to standard connectivity starting May 1, 2022.

There is an official email from Tesla regarding the premium connectivity and the change.
I found it amusing that they’ve written the email as though reasonable notice is being given…

“If you do not subscribe by April 30, 2022, your vehicle will be set to standard connectivity starting May 1, 2022.”

Read: subscribe TODAY because it gets switched off TOMORROW…. On a bank holiday weekend.

Shoddy communication and planning. It’s a good thing they make amazing cars and tech.

Reactions: NewbieT and guru1
Keep sharing the love Tesla, your customer centric behaviour just gets better and better. Time to choose my next lease car very soon….
Opening up superchargers, charging to use standard features on your car (satnav). Certainly making a slam dunk decision one I’ll think hard before signing for another 3 years

Reactions: Xdama
Keep sharing the love Tesla, your customer centric behaviour just gets better and better. Time to choose my next lease car very soon….
Opening up superchargers, charging to use standard features on your car (satnav). Certainly making a slam dunk decision one I’ll think hard before signing for another 3 years
They aren’t charging to use satnav.

They haven't "opened up superchargers" and it's not clear when or in what form that will occur in the UK. They aren't charging to use the sat nav, either. They're charging for the use of data and services which rely on heavy use of said data. They have a growing fleet and they've been allowing people to stream as much video content or music as they like. Video streaming is particularly data-intensive, so it's no surprise they are deciding to charge for it. I've used EVs from other manufacturers that charge for services which use data or have some sort of premium data package. And you couldn't do anywhere near as much as on a Tesla with that data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin03
I’ve just noticed mine says expires 1st May in the car menu, I’ve also received an email from Tesla today saying the same thing. Also in the app now there is a “Software Upgrades” section that only lists “Premium Connectivity” as an option to subscribe for £9.99 a month.

I guess it’s happening then, I’m torn whether to pay for it or not.