Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes he will. Putin is not going to lose this. It would be far too humiliating to quit at this point. He hoped to do it quickly and easily so he could cling to his fictions about the reasons for the invasion.
Now he will adjust the tactics, and stop worrying as much about civilian casualties. He’s start rocketing the cities and drive out the population and create a lot of smoking rubble and destroyed infrastructure.,.
Look no further than Chechnya for your example of where this is going if they cant bring the Ukraine forces to their knees in the next couple of days. At that point it will likely become an insurgency and go on and on.
Worked great for them in Afghanistan and Chechneya...oh wait. They lost the country in 1 war and had a small city state defeat them once and cost them tens of thousands of casualties in the next one. Ukraine will become the death of Russia if it goes to a insurgency type war. compared to chechnya it is 100 x the land area, 40x the population, adjacent to friendly EU countries that would accept a govt in exile, refugee (training) camps, etc etc. It would take a million person army in occupation and the complete destruction of the country. Russia would be completely bankrupt.

cash offer for Russian solders to surrender is a genius move

I guess if they ever make it to the US, 5 Million Rubles will buy a hamburger at McDonalds, but they will need more cash if they want fries :).

Worked great for them in Afghanistan and Chechneya...oh wait. They lost the country in 1 war and had a small city state defeat them once and cost them tens of thousands of casualties in the next one. Ukraine will become the death of Russia if it goes to a insurgency type war. compared to chechnya it is 100 x the land area, 40x the population, adjacent to friendly EU countries that would accept a govt in exile, refugee (training) camps, etc etc. It would take a million person army in occupation and the complete destruction of the country. Russia would be completely bankrupt.
Not saying it will work out well ….for anyone …. In the long run. Just that’s how what’s left of Putin’s mind works.

..... Ukraine is >30x the size of Chechnya. That's like comparing an invasion of Vermont to an invasion of Texas.

Putin can't even maintain Air Superiority.
He is unhinged. He’s being humiliated. He has tactical low yield nuclear weapons.
He needs to pump up his strong man persona. He’s going to kill people. It’s what he does.
I wish tgat wasn’t where this seems to be headed but it is.
Estimates are Ukraine could run short on ammunition in a week.
Russia is likely moving to cut off the resupply just after it comes over the border from Poland. Etc.
He doesn’t need air cover to put artillery and missile into cities.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
He is unhinged. He’s being humiliated. He has tactical low yield nuclear weapons.
He needs to pump up his strong man persona. He’s going to kill people. It’s what he does.
I wish tgat wasn’t where this seems to be headed but it is.
Estimates are Ukraine could run short on ammunition in a week.
Russia is likely moving to cut off the resupply just after it comes over the border from Poland. Etc.
He doesn’t need air cover to put artillery and missile into cities.
How things stand at present, I think Ukraine needs a bit more help just to get through the next week.

Specifically more drones to take out the convoy vehicles, and something that can shoot down the fighter bombers..

A ceasefire would also be handy...

I think the border with Poland is big enough to find some areas where additional supplies could be smuggled in...

The likelihood is Russia stepping up a bigger and better organised attack over the next few days to gain leverage in the next round of negotiations

If Ukraine can hang on and even counter reasonably effectively, that means no relative advantage since the last round of negotiations...

Being optimistic I think Ukraine and NATO have a plan to cope with what is coming... I say that because the Ukraine government has stopped asking for a no fly zone, they don't seem quite as desperate for help as they were previously...

Still a big shame that it is progressing to the next phase, it could be very ugly.

CRAM. Hopefully this will be part of the care package the US is sending.

No, if the US is directly involved that is world war 3 and no one gets out ok. Not the Ukrainians, not the Americans, Poles, British, whoever.
Need to keep yanking economic and diplomatic levers and not let up this week, month or decade.
If Russia pulls this off we cannot allow the more craven western businesses to creep back in in three years. We need to shut off gas lines, not buy their oil…seize Russian oligarch assets and just shut down their economy. Then …. They will eventually deal with Putin themselves.
China, corrupt and evil as ever, will do business with him but no one else should ….

• Disagree
Reactions: BornToFly
No, if the US is directly involved that is world war 3 and no one gets out ok. Not the Ukrainians, not the Americans, Poles, British, whoever.
Need to keep yanking economic and diplomatic levers and not let up this week, month or decade.
If Russia pulls this off we cannot allow the more craven western businesses to creep back in in three years. We need to shut off gas lines, not buy their oil…seize Russian oligarch assets and just shut down their economy. Then …. They will eventually deal with Putin themselves.
China, corrupt and evil as ever, will do business with him but no one else should ….
I think the EU and NATO have managed to blur the boundaries

Is supplying defensive weapons and ammunition being involved?

Russia doesn't like it, but Russia also has no desire to escalate things to an open war with NATO.

If Russia can't beat Ukraine with sprinkling of NATO equipment and training, what hope do they have against NATO?

NATO and the EU have played this very well so far, they are pushing the limits of what they can get away with.

The only better option would have been to some how convince Putin not to invade.

No, if the US is directly involved that is world war 3 and no one gets out ok.

We'd be no more involved than we are now. We're sending aid not troops. We already sent Javlins.

And it looks like 'Ukrainian' fighters will be operating out of Poland with presumably 'Ukrainian' pilots.

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 7.22.10 PM.png

I think the EU and NATO have managed to blur the boundaries

Is supplying defensive weapons and ammunition being involved?

Russia doesn't like it, but Russia also has no desire to escalate things to an open war with NATO.

If Russia can't beat Ukraine with sprinkling of NATO equipment and training, what hope do they have against NATO?

NATO and the EU have played this very well so far, they are pushing the limits of what they can get away with.

The only better option would have been to some how convince Putin not to invade.
Blurring the boundaries IS how it works. Direct action by US forces is not.

I wounder how off-road electric motor bikes would work as a transport for Ukrainian ambush squads?

Quiet/fast and perhaps less of a heat signal to trace, winding through those forests near the roads they would be hard to hit/catch.. especially if they threw off a few heat source decoys..

That's basically how the Japanese took Singapore in WW2. The bikes weren't even electric. Some just had rims. Rumor is that some British soldiers panicked mistaking the sound of a metal rim on stone road for tanks.

Bicycle Infantry

We'd be no more involved than we are now. We're sending aid not troops. We already sent Javlins.

And it looks like 'Ukrainian' fighters will be operating out of Poland with presumably 'Ukrainian' pilots.

View attachment 775134
As I conjectured upthread, if Belarus actively joins Russia, why wouldn’t another country bordering Ukraine more directly support them. Russia brought this on themselves by leveraging Belarus.