Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The overwhelming majority voted justly with a "yes" vote.

The few “no” votes and many “abstain” votes can be understood by known geopolitics/authoritarianships/etc.

But is it too cynical to suspect that India and perhaps some others have a secret deal with Putin for continued $20-25/barrel discounted Russian oil?

View attachment 863162
The only way this vote means anything is if it comes with teeth. For example, Russia losing its place on the Security Council and all veto rights.

Your last item about the world of western entrepreneurs needs to be brought to Elon’s attention; he has GOT to see that; it needs to be among all he thinks about to make the world a better place.

If he would listen. I'm not sure he would.

It is views like this from outside "my" world that help me better understand my world. I've worked in countries outside the US and am reminded of the relative lack of class and status barriers to success in the US. I guess this is part of this non-violent environment.

At the same time, if you widen the lens you have a US that is a non-violent entity that promotes a non-violent society (as described in the piece above - not the literal definition of non-violent) only to go from passive to "UltraViolence" (credit to Stanley K). We spend a lot of money on our military and tend to use it a lot.

It is a very odd (and helpful) view of the non-violent approaches to societies. It is also another reason to help Ukraine without imposing our ideas of what they should do with their country or how they should, or should not, compromise.

It is kind of ironic that the US is like that. The US has taken on the role as the world's cop. Though it has also used its military to push around other countries too. The system the US has leads to inconsistent foreign policy.

When all is said and done including reconstruction the West will pour in ~$1T into Ukraine.

Of course there will be strings attached.

We will demand basic human rights, a democratic government, and a real concerted effort to reduce corruption.

We didn't incur the cost and possible nuclear strikes on Western cities in order to for Ukraine to be a mini Russia. Just independent of Russia.

Ukraine is already headed down that road. Since 2014 with the west's influence they were cracking down on corruption and strengthening their democracy. during the war they have been very careful to follow the Geneva Convention. I think that will continue after the war. They have wanted to be part of the west since 1991 and this war has shifted public opinion from around a 55% desire to a 99% desire.

people dropping out of buildings along with unexplained suicides probably gave him comfort to leave.

Prighozhin is still above ground. He's Putin's biggest threat right now.

First, you recognize that "criminal" is in the eyes of the one writing the laws.
Second, you abstain from using psychiatric terms you do not understand.

Putin is almost certainly in the spectrum of a borderline personality.. I put him in the same basket as Hitler, Pot, Genghis Khan, Trump, Kim, and Mafia bosses. Successful "Negotiation" for these people is a transaction that benefits both sides without any consideration of ethics. You may notice that politics in general has this flavor.

My partner has a masters in Psych and knows PDs quite well. Her mother was a borderline and her ex-BIL was antisocial. She thinks Putin is a mix of antisocial and narcissistic, with more antisocial than narcissistic.

A key characteristic of borderline is splitting. A group or individual will be the greatest thing on Earth one minute and the devil's spawn the next. There is a book about borderlines written by an engineering professor in Michigan who wrote the book out of her research trying to figure out why her sister was as messed up as she was. It's called Evil Genes. She talks about research about where borderline comes from. It appears to be a mix of nature and nurture.

Some people are born with an instability in their emotion centers. They have emotions just bubble up out of nowhere for no particular reason. If the person was raised in a fairly stable family, they can be emotionally labile, prone to emotional outbursts, but they live in the same reality as the rest of the world. When they calm down they usually realize they were being unreasonable.

However if someone has that wiring and is abused as a child, they often develop a borderline personality disorder, when emotions fire off randomly, they make up a story for why they are feeling that way and act on it.

I haven't seen similar work on antisocial personality disorders, but I think it's more nature than nurture. My partner's ex-BIL was raised the same as his brother (my partner's ex). Their father took off when the younger brother was an infant (he has psychological problems too), but their mother remarried a lawyer who was a workaholic, but a fairly stable person. The boys were raised by their mother and grandmother who were both very nurturing. My partner's ex was a very attentive mate. He had a bad case of unmedicated ADD and Peter Pan Syndrome (he was emotionally able 15), but he was always there for her. His brother was a psycho who tried to kill his brother with a gun when they were teenagers and kidnapped his son from his first marriage when he was an infant. The ex-BIL then threatened to kill his nephew.

The ex-BIL hated his brother and my partner with a passion. Fortunately he also had severe OCD and would not leave San Mateo County, CA. Since both of them live here in the Northwest, they were safe. When their mother died he took his inheritance and burned through it in a few years. When the money ran out he hung himself in a park in the county. The police were baffled and initially investigated it as a murder because he had a fairly new Honda Odyssey and top shelf camping gear from REI, but he was homeless and broke.

Many Psychologists now think Hitler was a malignant narcissist (the most dangerous form of NPD) and that a certain ex-US president is the same, though the latter less prone to violence. Putin has less of the "look at me" thing going on than those other people, but he does like the attention he gets as president to some degree. He's much more interested in power and complete control over Russia and its neighbors.

BTW I was reading the Elon thread on the forum yesterday and something hit me. Elon's behavior with his peace proposal is almost exactly Nevil Chamberlain's from 1938. Hitler can have part of Czechoslovakia with promises from Hitler that he wouldn't take any more. Elon's proposal is almost exactly the same thing with Ukraine.

One difference was Germany's military power was rising in 1938 and they were militarily capable of invading their neighbors. Russia is militarily on the decline. It was happening before the war, but the war dropped a brick on the accelerator pedal. I do not think Russia should be rewarded in any way which is why I believe Ukraine should get all its territory back ASAP, but Russia's ability to come back and take the rest of the country would be difficult.

The Russian army is extremely unprofessional at this point and it probably will not get better. I think we will continue hearing about nukes for much longer as Russian troops retreat further. I have a huge urge to buy the dip in TSLA but it seems that Fed meeting November 1-2 and this war will be dictating market movements.

The Russian army is extremely unprofessional at this point and it probably will not get better. I think we will continue hearing about nukes for much longer as Russian troops retreat further. I have a huge urge to buy the dip in TSLA but it seems that Fed meeting November 1-2 and this war will be dictating market movements.

Yup. That driver is an idiot.

Did you see the guy in the video sitting on behind the vehicle? Someone looks like they survived, but got their bell REALLY rung (probably deaf after that).
Yeah, clip jumps, couldn’t tell who that was.

In my Afghanistan deployment we often treated soldiers in the ICU from injuries when their armored MRAPs rolled over buried Taliban IEDs. The armor protected them from any shrapnel or penetrating injury from the blast. But the kinetic energy was enough to launch the vehicle upwards and give them spinal compression fractures, some quite serious.

In my Afghanistan deployment we often treated soldiers in the ICU from injuries when their armored MRAPs rolled over buried Taliban IEDs. The armor protected them from any shrapnel or penetrating injury from the blast. But the kinetic energy was enough to launch the vehicle upwards and give them spinal compression fractures, some quite serious.
Probably some TBI from that sort of blast as well. That damage frequently takes awhile to reveal itself.

My first job post-grad school was doing dynamic finite element model simulations of IED blasts under MRAP and studying how to design interior / seating to reduce those sort of injuries. And verifying crazy kinematic data from real blasts where the vehicles rotated in air 😳

This is from the Russian FSB propaganda machine, so take it as you may, but their official claim is that the explosives were hidden in rolls of ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) edge banding. There were two trucks that did the operation (DAF truck was x-rayed):
Fe2YLMEXgAQ-ecz

Cargo was transferred to an International ProStar truck that went on the bridge and was only searched, not x-rayed:
Fe2qRfXXoAEtbpl

Fact Check: Did Russia's FSB share fake x-ray of Crimea bridge blast truck?

Did you see the guy in the video sitting on behind the vehicle? Someone looks like they survived, but got their bell REALLY rung (probably deaf after that).

The video shows the back door of the MT-LB mangled and thrown further from the vehicle than where the guy is crouching. The pressure wave inside that thing must have been insanely high.

In Afghanistan Russian soldiers took to riding on top of MT-LBs and BMPs because even if hit with relatively small weapons, the interiors became death traps. The MT-LB only has 7-8 mm of armor in most places and probably virtually nothing underneath. The BMP-1 has 33mm of armor on the main gun mantlet, but much of the rest of the vehicle has 6 mm armor. The BMP-2 has slightly less armor.

All those videos of Ukrainians taking out Russian IFVs and APCs with anti-tank weapons is sort of like hitting an egg with a sledge hammer.

Many Russian vehicles were designed to protect the crew from radiation more than enemy fire. At the time they were designed (1960s), Soviet doctrine was to open a hole in the enemy line with tactical nukes, then the mobile units pour through the gap. With the enemy barbecued from the nuke, the biggest danger was dealing with the radiation.

It's not unusual for IFVs and APCs to be lightly protected. The US Bradley has aluminum armor ranging from 14.5 to 30 mm, but with experience of IEDs in Iraq and Afghanistan, a lot of work went into better crew protection from below. The vehicle might be destroyed, but crew survivablility is much higher.

The US hasn't directly said whether it would use nukes in retaliation, but from what spokespeople have said it sounds like the first US reaction would likely be conventional. Basically destroy all Russian hardware larger truck sized or bigger in the theater.

The US hasn't directly said whether it would use nukes in retaliation, but from what spokespeople have said it sounds like the first US reaction would likely be conventional. Basically destroy all Russian hardware larger truck sized or bigger in the theater.

There is no advantage to rule out nuclear retaliation beforehand.

Especially when you don't have the conventional forces to make a difference.

It is almost inviting Putin to nuke Ukraine.

There are no "spokespeople" from the US Government commenting on the matter. The ones that have issued threats of what we would do are retired soldiers and spooks. Plausible deniability.

The first reaction would be conventional and a cyber attack. But the US wisely doesn't rule out nuking Moscow. Make them worry about it.