Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From memory Ukraine has already put its terms on the table:
- Immediate ceasefire by all Russian forces, and proxy forces, whether in Ukraine or in Russia;
- Russia immediately withdrsaws all its forces and proxy forces;
- Russia permanently accepts all of Ukraine to pre-2014 borders, inc Crimea;
- all Russian leases on previous Russian bases (leased from Ukraine, these were in Crimea) are ceased;
- Russia returns all Ukraine population who have been abducted, including PoW and dead;
- Russia to be forced to help rebuild Ukraine (i.e. reparations);
- War trials for war crimes (I'm not sure if I am remembering this bit right);
- Western sanctions should remain in place until the above all completed;
- No future limitations on Ukraine sovereignty, and Ukraine is free to join NATO and EU as it sees fit with no Russian veto;

Ukraine should add Putin's 2 eldest daughters must be turned over to Ukraine where they become Presidential Palace Chambermaids for Life.

1665917807605.png

Ukraine starting attacks in the Kherson region:
They've made a special outreach to all the open source intel guys to not reveal data, an even harder push on the opsec front. I found that telling. For what it is worth russian telegram channels have been reporting an uptick of strikes on air defense system in Zap along the Sea of Azov.

Russia mined all the roads in and out of Svatove. Russia is very good at minefield construction and that is how they really won the battle in Grozny at the end. Tricked the Chechens into retreating into a minefield.

Probably can't get Ukraine enough mine resistant vehicles at this juncture.

They've made a special outreach to all the open source intel guys to not reveal data, an even harder push on the opsec front. I found that telling. For what it is worth russian telegram channels have been reporting an uptick of strikes on air defense system in Zap along the Sea of Azov.

Russia mined all the roads in and out of Svatove. Russia is very good at minefield construction and that is how they really won the battle in Grozny at the end. Tricked the Chechens into retreating into a minefield.

I guess we ought to respect their request :

But on the other hand this definitely means there is another reason to desire regime change in Iran

"This article launches an overdue discussion on the latter question, regarding the exaggeration of Russian military power and under-playing of Ukrainian capabilities."
Frankly, I think U.S. intelligence had a pretty good idea of the woeful state of Russia’s military. However, that truth would undermine feeding the Military-Industrial Complex monster that holds so much sway over American politics and foreign policy. Just watch. As Russia is collapsing before our eyes like a slow motion car crash, the MICMonster is ramping up its anti-China rhetoric in order to continue feeding its voracious appetite.

I’m not saying China does not pose a threat, but the MICMonster must inflate that risk as concerns over Russian hegemony fade in the face of the pathetic reality of its capabilities.

Japanese air power had gone through a Lanchester Square collapse and it would never recover. They were putting air crew into aircraft, but their training was extremely poor and they achieved very little. The battle of the Philippine Sea in September 1944 illustrated this. It was the largest carrier battle in history and the result was very one sided. The Japanese threw their entire carrier force at the US and US fighters shot down everything thrown at them.

The Japanese started the battle with around 450 carrier aircraft and 300 land based aircraft. Estimates of losses run as high as 640.
This had everything to do with the advanced antiaircraft VTFuze shell developed at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. Before that it was nearly impossible for a naval gun to down an aircraft. With that it was like shooting fish in a barrel. It is every bit comparable to the difference between modern guided munitions in howitzers vs the Russian's 1943 artillery. The Russians can fire 10,000 rounds and never hit their target, it only takes one round from a guided munition to hit the target.

The Japanese air force was technologically defeated by superior weaponry. It had nothing to do with lack of skill, training, exhaustion, strategy or anything else.

Russia is desperate if they are buying Iranian-made missiles. Not exactly known for their accuracy (nothing new for the Russians there).
I don't think one should be too blase about these missiles re accuracy. Both the Fateh-series and the Zolfagar derivative use GPS/GLONASS for guidance and the more modern ones also seem to have sensor-based terminal guidance.

It is worth discriminating between reliability and accuracy. The Fateh seem sufficiently reliable and reasonably accurate. The Zolfagar seems less reliable but perhaps more accurate.

Accounts and assessments do vary on this subject. For example in 2017 the Zholfagar may have had anywhere from 2/6 near misses to 4/6 hits:

But in the most recent 2022 use they appear to have hit their target building(s):

And the Iranian 'suicicide' drones have bang-on accuracy quite frequently, certainly within a meter or so.

The ranges are also pretty good, between 300km and 750km.

If the "war of the cities" escalates then Ukraine won't want to just be on the receiving end, and just hitting military targets arounf Belgorod isn't likely to be a satisfactory response.

To put that statement in context it is 474 miles / 762 kilometers / 412 nautical miles from Kiev to Moscow.

I don't think one should be too blase about these missiles re accuracy. Both the Fateh-series and the Zolfagar derivative use GPS/GLONASS for guidance and the more modern ones also seem to have sensor-based terminal guidance.

It is worth discriminating between reliability and accuracy. The Fateh seem sufficiently reliable and reasonably accurate. The Zolfagar seems less reliable but perhaps more accurate.

Accounts and assessments do vary on this subject. For example in 2017 the Zholfagar may have had anywhere from 2/6 near misses to 4/6 hits:

But in the most recent 2022 use they appear to have hit their target building(s):

And the Iranian 'suicicide' drones have bang-on accuracy quite frequently, certainly within a meter or so.

The ranges are also pretty good, between 300km and 750km.

If the "war of the cities" escalates then Ukraine won't want to just be on the receiving end, and just hitting military targets arounf Belgorod isn't likely to be a satisfactory response.

To put that statement in context it is 474 miles / 762 kilometers / 412 nautical miles from Kiev to Moscow.
Agreed. It's nothing to scoff at. Almost any country these days can develop lethal accurate weapons.

Yeah but Russia is also sanctioned so what does it have to give Iran (that it isn't already running short of)? And how can Iran replace its missiles if it is sanctioned?
Both Russia and Iran are cut off from Visa and Mastercard. Iran is also completely banned from SWIFT.

As of some months ago Russia had plans to launch a free trade zone with Iran and for Iran to join Russia’s Mir payment system.

It’s unclear if both now have some sanctions evading process in play with immediate payments or that they agreed to future payments or payments in gold reserves.

Iran can likely continue to get non-sophisticated and some sophisticated semiconductors off the black market. Probable where they have been getting them this whole time and sanctions don't appear to have stopped that. (Don't know what chips they are using in their drones and missiles/rockets)

Yeah but Russia is also sanctioned so what does it have to give Iran (that it isn't already running short of)? And how can Iran replace its missiles if it is sanctioned?
1. Russia has a UN P5 veto. Given the state of the sanctions process (JCPOA) and the likely proximity of Iran to nuclear breakout status that veto would be handy to Iran.

2. Russia has railroads and grain, fertiliser, etc exports and a severe lack of warm water ports. Iran would like the hard cash and further help in building its railroads and ports, plus a handy backup to remind China that Iran has more than one friend.

3. Russia has some interesting technology Iran would like.

(Iran makes its own missiles. Iran has spent so long under sanctions that it knows how to play this game).

(Iran can get funds in and out for commercial purposes that are sanctions-compliant. )